Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thanks From the Ganahl Family

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcityrodandcustom, Aug 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. I don't know where to start. And I don't know if I'm really ready to write this at all. But I feel compelled to say a few things in response to the overwhelming respect and adoration my dad, Pat, has received on the HAMB and elsewhere, from so many people that he has touched, from so many places and walks of life. We are obviously shocked and crushed to lose my dad so suddenly. I've never experienced this kind of loss, and I'm absolutely devastated for my mom, who was about to celebrate the 50th anniversary of her marriage to Pat. But seeing and reading all of these amazing comments and stories about his influence and meaning in the lives of so many people helps to take some of the sting out of the immediate aftermath of such a horrible tragedy. My mom and I have read and continue to read all of the comments and anecdotes, and we would both like to thank you all very much for all of the positivity and great memories of a man we love(d) so much. It means the world to us, and especially at this moment. Thank you.

I would also like to quickly address the circumstances of the accident in order to nip any rumors or speculation in the bud. We don't know exactly what happened, but Pat never let up and ran the Ike Iacono dragster off the end of the track. Whether he suffered some medical issue during his pass, or whether there was a mechanical malfunction with the car, we do not know. And we do not need to know. My dad wanted nothing more than to make a timed pass in the Iacono dragster. Riverdale Raceway happens to be the place that this accident occurred, but it could have happened anywhere. He made passes in the street in Burbank to tune the car, and he chirped the tires up his own driveway in Glendale. This could have happened anywhere, anytime. The car was as well-built and sound as any dragster built to 1960's specs could be, and he kept it that way on purpose. That was the point. He knew it wasn't as safe as a modern spec'd car, and he knew he barely fit in it. Nothing me, my mom, or anyone else could say to him would have persuaded him not to make a pass wherever he could. He was a hot rodder and a racer, and he wanted to use the car for the purpose it was originally built. End of story. The crew at the track, the medics, chaplain, and everyone involved at the time of the crash were spectacular in handling every aspect of the accident. Me and my mom would like to leave it at that and respect my dad's memory by letting him rest in peace after finally getting the best pass he's ever made in the car he restored and loved.

I would like to end with a word of thanks from my mom:

Thank you for the many comments and anecdotes that so accurately and poignantly convey the character, commitment, and personal enthusiasm that Pat brought to his calling as a writer, photographer, and historian. Your words would make Pat happy.

Thank you all from the Ganahl family, and thank you on behalf of Pat. All he ever wanted to do was connect with people through the common love of hot rods and custom cars, and your comments and stories prove that he succeeded.

Bill, Anna and Sabina

20220822_174625.jpg 20211004_112021.jpg IMG_7947.jpg

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What a great family, I know he was very proud to have you all as his family. We all feel like we lost a brother. Thanks so much for posting this.

3. My sincere condolences to you and your entire family. Your Dad was one of a kind. Godspeed to your Dad. He will be sorely missed.

4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Great guy, great family. Here's to a life well lived. Thanks for sharing....heartfelt condolences.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you so much for the feedback and response. May God comfort you and your family as you grieve Pat's passing and bless you with all of your irreplaceable memories. Please don't be a stranger on the HAMB.

6. raaf

raaf

It seems odd to feel personal loss for someone you never met. But this is why words are and context are so important. And given that this community is spread across years and generations, words and context are what guides us. Pat helped to build that bridge.

Thank you and Amen!

7. Bill, Anna & Sabina, I've known Pat for many years, when I heard of his accident I just couldn't come up with the words of condolence. I believe you covered it for me. Thanks.
    Even though Pat was younger than me, he was my hero, and I always looked forward to talking to him whenever I could.

Mick

8. I didn’t know Pat, but I felt like I did. I believe that was a goal of his. His columns were like letters from a friend or a favorite teacher. We were fortunate to have lived at the same time as he did. Godspeed Too Tall. Condolences to the family.

9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for your reply, & the beautiful family photos. Please accept condolences from Australia, yes Pat touched everyone world wide. RIP Pat.

10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thank you Bill, As far as I'm concerned your Dad was the epitome of the true hot rodder , down to earth and the master of the old ways. Give my sincere condolences to your mother. A life well lived to its fullest. If there will be a public memorial I'm sure it will be at full capacity. I for sure will be there.

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bill, for sharing your thoughts, and the photographs.
    Pat's legacy and influence and enthusiastic energy, will continue to inspire future generations, that discover who he was, through his writing, and everything that he accomplished !

Magfiend, Thor1, alanp561 and 9 others like this.
  12. Beautiful words Bill, @southcityrodandcustom , beautiful pictures as well. May you all find comfort from these memories as you grieve. My deepest condolences to you all. Your father is a legacy, he will live on in all the lives he touched and the people his talents have inspired and mentored. From as far as the east is from the west.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Thor1, Outback, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Bill, Anna and Sabina
    Pats friendship will live with all of us until we meet up with him again, some of us sooner than later. He touched all of our lives in one way or another with his love things mechanical like all of us.
    His love for sharing has been shown here in many ways and we truly thank him for doing it for us and probably more for himself.
    Even with all his published writing it just seemed he just wanted to give more and in retirement; he has for us.
    Thanks again.. JD Tone

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Thor1, y'sguy, The 39 guy and 17 others like this.
  14. What great words for a fantastic life well lived. My sincere condolences to the Ganahl family….

Thor1, Special Ed, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  15. twenty8

twenty8

I would like to convey our thanks to the Ganahl family for sharing Pat with us all.
    He meant a great deal to a great many people worldwide. We will never forget him.
    Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.

16. Bill, Anna, Sabina,

thank you for your beautiful message here in what is a very dark time.

It brought tears to my eyes.

Sitting here a world away in New Zealand - if theres absolutely anything i can do, please dont hesitate to reach out. You have my details.

Much love, respect and admiration to you all.

Greg Stokes
    Auckland
    New Zealand

Thor1, 34 5W Paul, Outback and 12 others like this.
  17. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Peace be with all yours.
    Thanks for reaching us.

18. SS327

SS327

To Bill, Anna and Sabina. Thank you for sharing Pat with us. The loss you feel right now must be overwhelming and I’m sorry for that. But you should know what your dad gave to us and to y’all can never be replaced. Pat was the closest thing to a superhero most of us will ever know. And he was your father and your mom’s husband how lucky was that! To have had a man who touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and he was not a king, president or even a dictator. But a friend and father figure from a normal middle class family. From Bixby Knolls I might add. He never asked anything from us, but he gave us so much. He was truly special. To Pat I hope it was the best pass ever, you deserved that much from the world you gave so much too.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill, thank you for sharing the thoughts and memories of your father at this most difficult time for the family and friends...we share in the grief of the sudden loss...many have come and gone here over the years...never easy to say goodbye but we always share/remember in the loss of our Hamb friends...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pat-ganahl-r-i-p.1272122/page-11#post-14586693

We shall never forget what Pat has given us over the years as again, we get to know one another and the stories are always a clic away...he has certainly left a legacy that will live on in so many ways here and beyond...

...So many of the more unique Hotrods I enjoy have been written and Photographed or researched by Pat...his legacy will live on...we mention carrying the Hotrod Torch forward here...We will...

As others have said, welcome to the Hamb...

Regards, Stogy

Thor1, Joe Blow, Fordors and 20 others like this.
  20. Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at this most difficult and sad time. I hope that you and your Family feel the love that we all had for your Dad. He was one of the special ones.

Thor1, Joe Blow, Fordors and 21 others like this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. Thank you! What a legacy!

22. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I never knew Pat but I know he was a great guy judging by your and you mother's heartfelt words. I am so sorry for your loss.

23. I also never met your dad in person, although wish I would have at the Gathering at the Roc last your when you all were there. Thanks so much for your heartfelt comments here. It definitely shows the respect you had for your dad. I can't imagine what you all are going through losing a father and husband. Praying for comfort for you in this time.

Thor1, Malcolm, Outback and 13 others like this.
  24. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

So sorry to hear of this. Always loved your dad's writings, and knowledge. A hugh loss for you, and the greater hot rodding community.

25. jim snow

jim snow

Thank you for reaching out to us and giving us closure. Please accept my deepest condolences. All the best.Snowman ⛄️

Thor1, Jalopy Joker, alanp561 and 8 others like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

It Amazes me that One Man, through His Passion, can have such an effect on so Many people. For That we should be eternally Grateful and Thankful that he choose to share his adventures as he traveled through life. It seems as though I have been reading his thoughts and exploits forever and I will miss that, but you know what, I have saved a Bunch and can read them again and again. To All of His Family, I Thank You for taking time to express Your Feelings. It Means A Lot!

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never had the chance to meet Pat but he was, no IS a legend in the hot rodding world. RIP, Pat.

28. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I never had the opportunity to meet Pat but I have had the opportunity to read many articles of his over the years.I've read a lot of them,,,I'm 67.He was a true hot rodder/ automotive historian. Your right, what happened doesn't matter. He was doing exactly what he loved to do, racing his car.Pat & Gray Baskerville are catching up on ol' times

Thor1, alanp561, DenverFlash and 7 others like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Condolences to all of you, Bill, Anna, and Sabina...

Hello,
    Pat was an honest to goodness person to all that he met along the way. When we met, we were both
    20 somethings and full of ideas and creativity. The road ahead in photojournalism was wide open, but a little restrictive from the editor/owner's prospective. The stories had to be a certain way. Pat knew this and did well in all of his writings, as a young staff person.

But, there was a little spark in his eyes that said... yes, write like they want, but do your own thing. The idea of photojournalism to me was to have fun, meet people and travel as much as we could to gather information and great photo opportunities. My wife and I talked about different ways to enjoy our traveling photo writings and road trips. There were some roadblocks along the way, as is the case in most things. So, our early journey and information gathering lifestyle was influenced by a young writer/photographer's outlook to face the obstacles of photojournalism.

Pat knew the rules early on and continued to have fun taking photos, writing about his passion and the world of hot rods. We learned a lot and continued to have fun in our endeavors.

Jnaki

We have always enjoyed Pat's photos and writings. It seemed to us that when he was at the helm, the writings became more relaxed. So, thanks for all of the ideas and the great feeling that someone was on the other side of magazine production, with an eye on not just a job, but a feeling of the love of hot rods, drag racing and custom cars. Something that as little kids, grew into a different portion of our own lives. "Carry on..."

Jigger, Thor1, HEMI32 and 19 others like this.
  30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If more people acted as Pat would have , the world would be a far better place... He was always a gentleman . I will miss our occasional talks on the telephone and his monthly blog. His passion for the history of the car hobby was unmistakable in his writing. He was a big man in more ways than one and we will all feel a huge void for his loss...

RIP Pat