Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks for this great site

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Old Dog, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Old Dog

Old Dog

Hi all, this is Old Dog, a Georgia boy transplanted in South Dakota. I joined this site to learn from you all. From what I have seen so far I like. I guess the oldest vehicle I have owned was a 46 Chevy PU, and the oldest one I have now is a 63 Falcon Sprint convertible. My dream cars are fords from the 30's & 40's. I spent almost 27 years in the US Air Force and retired in 1999. I am using the GI Bill to attend a Technical School to learn auto body. The things I want to get from the school are welding, sheetmetal repair, and painting. All the plastic, rubber, and glue they can have.

I was very interested in Bob's post on reverseing wheels. I have a pair of 68 mustang GT wheels that had an aftermarket chrome job that was a mixture of flaking chrome and rust that I am in the process of trying to reverse. I had them sandblasted and they came out pretty nice. I drilled all the riviets out and then tried to knock out the center. I took a 4x4, cut to fit across the center of the wheel, and used a 6 lb hammer to remove the center. No luck, the only thing that moved was two different 4x4s breaking. The center of the wheel did not budge. My next effort will be to try heating the rim and using CO2 to cool the center. If it works I think the reversed GT wheels will look pretty sharpe. If it works I will post pictures.

Again thanks for this site. Check out this site for an example of the cars in South Dakota, a state with a population of 750,000. http://www.project33.com/

2. I'll be on the lookout for the wheels post. My 60 Falcon was my 1st car.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024