Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks - corroded brake fitting removed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho55, Oct 26, 2011.

1. poncho55

poncho55

All the brake lines on my 55 Pontiac were replaced except for the front drivers side. Went to remove last weekend and the end just stripped at the flex line end. The flex line needed replacing anyway, so I cut it to pull out the wc and take off the backing plate for cleaning and painting. The brake line that connects into the main junction box (no proporioning valve, just a main splitter) was not coming out. Stripped that as well with a flare nut wrench, not much room for a visegrip type tool. Consulted the handy H.A.M.B. archives - cut the brake line at the the top of the nut, pressed an 11MM 6 point socket (1/4 drive) onto the top of the nut with the help of a Knipex plier wrench, and voila, she came off! Off to get a new line this morning and will have that corner completed with all new hardware by end of week. Now, just have to get that brake end out of the socket! Pretty tight - screwdriver and tap out on the vise.

Thanks HAMB'ers!

2. poncho55

poncho55

Some shots of the line. I was wondering why that wheel never seemed to grab!

Attached Files:

3. fordor41

fordor41

That's why I anti-seize everything under my car.

4. Thank you for using the search function! I'm convinced that everything that needs to be known is here (on the HAMB) somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it,Ha!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Don't forget to anti-sieze the lugnuts!

6. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Had a similar deal on my O/T truck not long ago where the line goes into the junction block for the flex line down to the rear end. Nipped the line for a socket and still wouldn't budge even after a soaking with PB Blaster. Couldn't get the big gas wrench in there and headed just right because the gas tank was too close [not near as brave now as I usta' was]. Had often wondered how useful a Bernzomatic Butane Micro Torch would be so I broke down and bought one. Worked slick, was small enough to get right in there and concentrate just enough heat on the nut, let it cool and it backed right out with the 1/4" drive flex handle and socket.

Ed