Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thanks ChromePlaterJosh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Mar 20, 2012.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Josh took on helping me with a pot metal problem. I cut and narrowed a set of 55 Chevy tail light bezels and wanted to (weld) them back together. Josh at Custom Metal Finishing had the solution to my problem and the end results are great. Big thanks to Josh.
    stock 55 bezel
    [​IMG]

cut and narrowed an inch.
    [​IMG]

the jig for Josh to solder them together.
    [​IMG]

the results :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

It is hard to beat a feller at what he does for a living every day. I have had no personal experience with his work, but every one here on the HAMB that has done business with him seems to be a happy camper. That came out great and it is "cut and sew" on potmetal.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow I didn't even know that was possible!!! That's incredible. Good job guys, now what are you going to do about the lens?

4. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Looks great Dick, Yes Josh does great work. He did all of the bright work on the Merc project. Best I've seen.

Dan

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Another great piece by Josh and his family. Had a set of hemi valve covers done by him and they turned out great! Just sent him out a swan neck shift lever yesteday.

6. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to split a set of 55 Chevy Lee Lenses the same amount. I thought about useing 52 studebaker lenses but the Lee lenses will fill the bezel better.

52 studebaker lens
    [​IMG]

Mock up on the 54 they are going on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. williebill

williebill

That's awesome. Looks fantastic,and a great idea. I didn't know that was possible,either. My fear and hatred of potmetal makes me want to fire up the time machine,go back and find the first car guy who thought potmetal was a good idea,and kill him in childhood.

8. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Up for the dayshift. Josh deserves the credit.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Josh did some miracle work for me before too. I recommend him as well.

10. ryno

ryno

looking good.
    any more info on the 54?

11. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The 54 is a Belair sedan. It's a pretty nice car. I've got a GMC 302 + S-10 T-5 that's in the process of being fitted to the car. 55 chevy rear end.
    I'm planning on some custom work as it's being driven.

[​IMG]

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool idea, Dick! Looks like Josh did some VERY nice work for ya...

Malcolm

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

14. Thats a cool change for the 54 tailights! Witht he Jimmy that thing is going to be rad!!!!!!!

15. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

HA HA HA! I've had similar thoughts regarding the stuff too. Truth is, it's just a cheap and easy to use metal that plates easily and beautifully when freshly cast. A whole different story once it gets 20-70 years on it.

I'm glad you are all happy! Thanks!:D
    I must admit I love working on the special projects like his taillights. Believe it or not, the hardest part with these was that one taillight had some serious rot hiding in it that required drilling out and filling. The jig supplied made the reconnection go quite smoothly.

There is no secret method to fixing pot metal; its takes a lot more technique than method, making it all but impossible to learn without experience.

The parts are stripped, sanded (rot and deep pits are drilled/ground out,) copper striked, soldered with lead free silver-bearing solder, resanded, then on to the typical rechrome job usually with some solder porosity to be removed with hours of high build acid copper.

There are fancy welding rods that let one weld directly to pot metal, but they have yet to impress me enough to leave the tried and true solder over copper plate method.

16. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Josh and company did a set of '37 Chevy coupe vent window surrounds for a buddy who has to be the pickiest of any person I've ever met. SUPREMO.....my buddy is as happy as a kid with a new Christmas toy.....SUPERB work.
    Oh, by the way Josh, I'm sending a pair of '65 Olds taillight bezels for your magic, and Randy has more '37 stuff. Thanks

17. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Seen them in person, great work!