Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thanks Barons!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garry Carter, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

My buddy Ray Simons and I left home (near San Antonio) and went up to the "Hill Country 100 Reliability Run & Car Show" in Kerrville on Saturday. I just wanted to say thanks to the Barons for all their work in putting this event together, and pulling it off so successfully for about 4 years in a row now.

If you're unfamiliar with the Hill Country south and west of Kerrville ... you'd find it hard to believe you're in Texas! The rolling wooded hills are actually reminiscent of the Ozarks with limestone cliffs, clear-water rivers and streams, switch-back roads, and beautiful vistas. The 100-mile drive through all that scenery with absolutely perfect weather was a treat. Too bad only about a dozen cars took advantage of the opportunity; you ought to put it on your list of things to do next year.

Back at the park, there was the "Blindfolded Death Race", valve-cover races, live music, and some great people to hang out with! I've helped stage an event like this in the past and know how much work is involved. So ... hats off to all the Barons and their ladies!

P.S. I did have some really shitty luck on the way home. While passing through downtown Boerne, the car in front of me hit one of those 6 - 8" water valve covers. It bounced out of it's little hole in the pavement right in front of me! I swerved to avoid hitting it with a tire, but it sheered off the mounting tabs on my rack, gouged about a 4" slice in the oil pan, and mangled the filter before bouncing out the back where it was narrowly missed by a buddy who was following me. Another friend came to the rescue with his roll-back trailer and my coupe is now back in the shop, but I'm lookin' at a bunch of work to repair/replace damage done by some half-assed street repair crew. I even went to the police station to report the problem -- it happened a couple of more times while I sat and waited for the rescue trailer -- and was told that "Yeah, several other people have called in about that but we talked to the Street Dept and they say everything is OK." It wasn't until I got an officer to come out a physically inspect the damage to my car -- and they received yet another phone call from a very irate old lady -- that Boerne's Finest went into action.

2. BLAKE

BLAKE

Sorry to hear that, Garry! Hopefully that 'Best Hot Rod' trophy you won yesterday softened the blow a little bit...!?! I know you'll have that thing back on the road in no time... better than new.

3. Crease

Crease

Garry, It was great meeting you! That model A of yours is just gorgeous!

Thanks for all the kind words. You are correct, this sort of thing is a lot of work, but seeing folks have fun and feed back like this make it all worth while.

BTW, I think I hit the same cover on the way back. Sounded like a big chunka steel, but I had no idea what it was. Scared the living heck outta me as I thought of what could snapped on my suspension and what I was gonna do next, Fortunately no damage. Wish you had been as fortunate

BTW Blake had all kinds a great things to say about you. We are real lucky to have so many cool folks in South Texas. We all need to find more excuses to get together more often!

On behalf of all the guys, thank you, Garry!

4. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Great words... Wish I could've been there.

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

sorry to here about the damage Gary , It was great hanging out with ya.

6. Sorry to hear about the damage issues Garry. At least you made it to the event first. =) Any pics of the damage?