Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thank you HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badvolvo, Jul 25, 2016.

1. badvolvo

badvolvo

So, Last week i began to prepare for the HAMB drags. I always spend a lot of time inspecting and tuning prior to a race. Preparing for the upcoming HAMB drags this year included upgrading to a scattershield. Saturday the project started off well, trans came out pretty easy, bell housing was removed and slid to the side. As i pushed it out of my way, i noticed something, but i didn't want to look yet. We got the scattershield dialed in and tightened the last of the bolts when my wife and son came into the shop.
    I told them it must be my lucky day, and so glad i decided to run at the HAMB drags this year. I refused to tell them why until i was done tightening things up.
    After completion, i took a deep breath and looked over the old bell housing. didn't have to look hard to see why i felt so blessed. crack 1.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice work!

Bet you feel good in more ways than one on this discovery

badvolvo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Disaster waiting to happen. Feeling lucky now? ;)

badvolvo and lothiandon1940 like this.

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT ONE.

badvolvo likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

A scattershield or a safety bell housing with Sema rating is always a good idea on any engine you plan to spin on up past 5K or so. I have one on my roadster as I have a fairly radical solid lifter cam, big valve aluminum heads & 2X4s, and it likes to spin up.
    Years ago in my dirt track days a friend built a '54 Ford for the "Hobby" clasas with a very hot 300cid 6yl. He was "winging" the engine, standing on the floor beside the car while leaning over looking in thru the front(no windshield) at the tach when there was a big explosion sounding "BANG" because the pressure plate exploded.
    Chunks of iron flew every which way, with one piece penetrating the bell housing, the car's floor, on up thru the top of dashboard, the roof of the car, and the tin roof 25' up!
    If this had happened with a driver in the seat,driving with feet on the pedals, it would have destroyed his feet.
    Never again have I begrudged the cost of good quality Sema approved flywheel , clutch. and bell housing components on a car with high rpm potential.

badvolvo likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - that would have really scattered

lothiandon1940 and badvolvo like this.