Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin LL, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

So I'm waiting for parts to come in to convert back to a column shift on my '63 Biscayne. I've adjusted the crappy Hurst Promatic 2 shifter as best I can for now. I get good alignment with P R N and D. Checked the kickdown cable adjustment, its fully extended at WOT. Alll vacum lines are good and not kinked or such.

Problem is I put it in reverse or drive and it will sit there and not engage the gear. May take 5 seconds, may not engage at all, or may just go right in. Also its cycling between 2nd and third at lower speeds, probably say 25-30 mph. As far as I can figure its toast, I see leakin g from the front seal also. Any thoughts on what to look for other than what I have? I'm scheduled to hav e it looked at this sat by a trans shop but thought maybe someone may have a suggestion possibly to check for anything else. Its not the end of the world, at least if its shot its a rather cheap trans to repair/replace. Even though I don't have the $ lol

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

2. bigdav160

bigdav160

Sounds like the direct clutch is shot. Time for an overhaul

The good news is the parts couldn't be over $50

3. Two separate issues then. If the direct is wiped , no reverse, but it ought to move in D1 off the forward clutch.
    Sounds like you'll need a full kit to me.

4. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

I figured its shot. I wouldn't figure its a vacum modulator, but is there a way to tell if its good or not? I'm pretty sure even if it was a bad modulator it would go in gear. Like I said I figure its toast but just askin. May be a perfect opportunity to learn how to rebuild a th350. If I did I would do a lot more research obviously, but what specialty tools would be needed for disassemby and reassembly or any calibration?

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

witchcraft and voodoo.

6. Just take the modulator and stick something inside, like 1/4 in bolt.
    Suck on the vacuum port and see if the bolt moves . Then see if the vacuum holds. It's probably good.

You need to buy the book at Borders or B&N. Ron Sessions, I think .
    It'll tell you about tools .It doesn't take much of anything you couldn't improvise. You might have to pay someone to drive the bushings ,if needed.
    Keep end play down to a bare minimum. It doesn't need much.
    Good luck.

7. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Thanks for the heads up guys. Time to sell some things to fund this.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

TH350 trans, and it's classic in behavior for rebuild time. As far a the modulator being "bad", take the hose off at the modulator, and IF there's any ATF in the nipple, it's bad/leaking, but that's doubtful. TH350's are hard on bushings, so it's mandatory to replace them, and double up on and redrill the sun gear bushings, both ends. After market direct overun race, a shift kit, along with a COMPLETE rebuild will make it dependable and last for a while. Personally, I don't care for the TH350 trans ever since the last one went out in my truck and I updated to a TH400; can't beat or compare them with a TH400. Solid, but smooth shifts, and NO lag between 1-2, 2-3 in the TH400. BUT, there's more adapting involved with installing one. A well built TH350 will serve you well, a stock one, well.............. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Just going back through some threads I have. Thanks for all the input. Helped me to decide on the way to go.

I had a small budget and bought a junkyard 350, new seals (pan, front, rear, shifter) and a shift kit, filter. I did everything for just under $200 with fluid, installed. Not bad. Trans works great, cruised it all summer.

Now to deal with a crappy worn out engine. lol.