Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 trans problem...what is it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPMERC, Jun 18, 2005.

1. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

the trans in my car has been fine, then all of a sudden today, i started the car and put it in gear and i'm getting a kind of grinding sound( does it in reverse and all forward gears)..it shifts fine when driving, and the sound disappears as i start to move...when i slow and stop, the sound starts to come back, and gets steady when at a full stop...i really know zip about transmissions, any guru's have any idears...Shifts????

2. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

I am in Denville call me 973 627 6110

3. Pull flywheel cover and check for dents and look at the hub of the flywheels spokes [near the crankshaft][looking for cracks]

4. Doesn't sound like a trans problem to me, I would check the stall/torque converter.

CoolRide

5. squirrel

squirrel

and maybe make sure the bolts that hold the tranny to the engine block are still all tight.

6. Derek

Derek

Yeah, doesn't sound like internals to me either. I'd check all the externals first. Torque converter, bell housing bolts, maybe the starter/flywheel. All the crap on the outside. Auto's don't generally grind like standards do. When you get a grind from auto's it's generally something else.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

In my experiences with bad automatics (non-computer ones), they either work or they slip. If it's making noises like you describe, I'd look outside the trans (like others have said). Something between the engine/torque converter/input shaft sounds amiss...since you describe it as being fine one day and crummy the next, I'd check for bolts that have loosed up after the car cooled off since the last time you drove it...and I certainly wouldn't drive it any futher before inspecting it...

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

Is your/neighbors cat missing????

9. squirrel

squirrel

that usually makes a squealing noise, and it quits pretty quickly.

at least in my experience.