Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TH350 sparatic drips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by warren57, Oct 20, 2017.

1. warren57

warren57
    from Colorado

17E829D1-0D37-4B15-B253-0F3DD4A628D7.jpeg this is crazy, I have a TH350 in my 67 ElCamino. Was soaked with leaks. Put a new pan gasket an filter. Helped some, but leaking on drivers side. Figured out it was the shift lever seal. Fixed that, better but still leak on left side, needed to change speedo drive gear, so pulled tailshaft put new gear, new o-ring. Leak at the speedo cable bullet o-ring. Put new o-ring, bullet and gear change.
    Everything great on left side and pan now. But, getting fluid at front right side. Dry at front seal, puddle at kick down lever/switch/fill tube. Dripped fairly steady when not running.
    Cleaned everything and laid paper towels at every location, 2 days ago. Not a drop anywhere.
    How is it possible to have drips one day and not another?
    Guess i’ll Go ahead and replace kickdown lever seal, fill tube seal anyway.
    Any thoughts from you guys?
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

and remove the pressure switch, screw in a 1/8" pipe plug in the hole. The kickdown cable itself can also leak, when they get old and cracked.

The usual problem is that after it sits for a while, sometimes the fluid that is in the torque converter will drain back into the pan, and then you will find all the leaks that are higher than the normal fluid level.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. mohead1

mohead1

Mine did that....converter drains after a couple days, o-rings on fill tube were leaking (Lokar unit) and it wud seep, go down across the bottom of the aluminum deep pan and leave a mess....took me a while to figure out wtf was going on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I think it has something to do with barometric pressure!
    At least that's the excuse I use for my tranny leaks!
    KK

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. mohead1

mohead1

Bwaaahaaa......thats just nasty.....

7. dann campbell

dann campbell
    from Ohio

did you ever find out for sure???

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

sure it is not overfilled and coming out the vent tube on top of the trans.?
    Maybe your trans has an STD and just drips.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If it leaks after driving, it could be the accumulator cover O-ring seal leaking.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've seen where a cooler line ferrel was tightened too tight/far into the case and split the boss. I'd expect to see a more continuous drip from that however. Front and rear seals, pump to case seal, pump bolt seals, oil fill o-ring/boot seal, speedometer bullet o-ring, extension housing to case seal, kickdown cable seal, shifter seal, a couple of pressure point check plugs, and maybe a pressure sending unit port; where else could it leak from? Put some black light "dye" in the trans after thoroughly cleaning it to try and pin point where the leak is. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

I thought my TH350 was possessed by the devil. It would sit for a few days and then start leaking again. I changed all of the seals listed above, but the leaking continued. Just this summer, I sought professional help. A local transmission guy, retired but now working out of his home garage, pulled the thing and changed every seal- and there are quite a few. He said the original seals were brittle from age and long term inactivity. While he was at it, he noted my first gear clutches were pretty worn- and he changed them out at no extra charge. The total cost was $650, and now the floor stays dry and the thing shifts much firmer than before. Wish I did it sooner.

12. mohead1

mohead1

13. squirrel

squirrel

now that we've seen this thread for a little while...I have to play spelling police.

Sporadic.

:)

EnglishJon likes this.