Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 passing gear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Aug 9, 2014.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

We're wrapping up putting a '65 283 in my '54 Chevy with a 350 tranny and I have some questions: the blown up engine we took out had aq-jet, the 283 has a Rochester 2 jet. I'm keeping the 2 jet because it runs and should be cheaper on gas, but what do I do with the passing gear? We bolted it to the inner fender until we replace the plug wires, but do any HAMBers have a suggestion of what to do with it? I might go back to a 4 barrel later, I don't know. I have to 2 intakes and 2 4 barrels, I just wanna know what to do with it in the meantime! Thanks, guys!

It's primitive technology that is further compromised in the name of vanity.- HAMBer Cleatus

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. deto

deto

Do you mean the kick down cable?

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with the terminology, I've just unbolted and rebolted what I've had. Here's a pic of what I've got. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407633543.708066.jpg

The piece I'm talking about's on the passenger side inner fender by the vent opening on the firewall.

It's primitive technology that is further compromised in the name of vanity.- HAMBer Cleatus

4. primed34

primed34

Put it back on the carb. It'll work with the 2 barrel. Might have to do some adjusting.

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Where?

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There should have been a bracket. Or is that part of it in the picture? If so, connect it all back up. It should work together with the throttle assembly, when you put the peddle to the metal. A heavy car, like a '54, will love a passing gear. Remember.... "What's behind me, is NOT important."

7. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

All the throttle brackets I currently have came off the q-jet. The 2 barrel just has the arms for throttle and choke. No brackets. The q-jet brackets won't work with this carb.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You might hit the internet and find an illustration or picture of how it was all hooked up.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like so:
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, yeah, I've already burned through google and seen a billion pics. That pic is actually from a thread with the topic of "this doesn't work, what do I do?" or something similar. I'm pretty sure I've got a TH350, not a 700R where a kickdown vs. TV cable is VERY important! I'll have to double check, but I think I know where I can get a bracket to use the cable. Thanks, everyone! Any other pics and advice is appreciated!

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Time to hit the junkyards and find a 2 bbl bracket.

13. ev88f

ev88f

just put the quadrajet back on it. It'll get better mileage than the 2bbl anyway

BORRACHO13 likes this.
  14. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Nononono... Just about finished putting an engine in, I'm not doing an intake/carb swap unless I have to!

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There should be plenty of 2 barrel brackets in the wrecking yards. BUT, the TH350 transmissions sold by Summit under their "name", do not come with a throttle pressure/kickdown cable; even the hole in the trans for the cable is plugged. There are also some universal type, aftermarket, brackets sold that even come chrome plated. I'd still look for something off a factory motor. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. If it's got a vacuum modulator in the back, it's a T350.
    You don't need a bracket that bolts to the carb. It can bolt to the intake like the one in the picture. You might have to weld a couple of them together. Place the clip on part of the cable where you can get full pull at full throttle. That part is adjustable too, so need not be perfect.

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

To answer your question, just set it aside until you find the right carb/bracket combination to let you use it. It won't hurt anything being disconnected.

18. As said it will not hurt the trans. But you will not have a down shift with the accelerator pedal to second gear. With that that 3400 pound chevy it would be nice to have and is a no brainier to hook up. You got the engine in what's one cable?

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Manually downshift in the event you need to pass.

20. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Will one of these work? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407776553.228293.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407776562.295289.jpg

21. txturbo

txturbo

That top one should work.