Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TH350 LOW mount?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The TH350 in my T bucket is CLOSE to the floor, like super close. If I could drop it 1/4 of an inch without cutting the crossmember I'd be thrilled. A friend said there's a low mount somewhere. I've been on the google machine and came up with nothing.

Of course I cant remember the height of the mount I have now, I'll measure it tonight and update.
    Meanwhile, does anyone know of a low/thin TH350 mount? Or, a way I could fab one that wouldn't be incredibly involved? It doesn't absolutely have to be dropped, but even 1/4 inch would help with clearance all around.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Usually when they break, they drop about 1/4" (and become metal to metal).

1-5/8" might be standard height.

Sorry, no ideas for fixing it. Can you drop the whole crossmember easily? some you can, some you can't.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

47ragtop likes this.
  4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

A picture of your situation may help us to be able to give you better advice.

In a similar situations, I made my own mount and I have also used the Pete and Jake's transmission crossmember as inspiration for a solution.

5. squirrel

squirrel

also in the link I posted above to the expensive mount, there are some reviews that mention other mounts that might be more cheaper. But finding dimensions of normal replacement mounts is kind of a pain, unless you're at the parts store with a ruler.

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Energy Suspension mounts come with something that you'd be forgiven for thinking is a spacer, but the installation instructions specifically state that it is not a spacer and that it must be fitted - it's termed an upper preload plate.

Confusingly the dimensions offered by Summit are provided both with and without the 'spacer' giving the impression that its' inclusion is somehow optional.

Shop carefully!

Chris

squirrel likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@squirrel Youre correct. That one does have a dimension and I dont see any others that do. Lowering the crossmemeber might be the "easiest" option, but thats dropping it, filling the holes, drilling 8 new ones just below the old ones. I'll have to do some more hunting, and measuring.

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

If you drop the rear trans mount you change the angle of the trans, not sure if a 1/4 or 1/2 inch would matter but you have a short drive shaft. Is it a wood floor? Maybe open up the tunnel some?

9. Can you slot the mounting holes in your crossmember or frame portion, to drop it slightly?

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm using the Energy Suspension low mount in my three projects and yes that plate is an integral part of the mounts' design.

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

After looking it over. The easiest answer is to slot the crossmember holes slightly.
    It had enough room to be functional. I just prefer there to be a little more.