Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 leak= thru the speedo cable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tooslow54, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tooslow54

tooslow54

Just a quick question for those in the know:

I recently got my 54 running and took it on it's longest trip since (40 miles). The next morning I noticed about 4 tablespoons of clean trans fluid under it. It looked like it was coming from the speedo output (I didn't have a cable at the time). Does this make sense?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

no cable?..did you at least screw a speedo cable fitting on there with the cable inset into it?..if not and its open..it could leak..theres fluid back there in the tail shaft.

3. there's a seal in the driven gear housing on the shaft... go to a gm dealer or trans shop... they're cheap. may as well replace the o-ring on the housing as long as your down there.
    [​IMG]

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

^^ that seal too^^
    thanks Decker..i couldnt jar my memory fast enough

5. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

i think there is a small oring between the driven gear sleeve and the driven gear
    try a 1240382 part number at you local gm dealer i used a 77 malibu for refernce

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Turbo 350 speedometer bullet ... and the "O" ring that goes around it.

[​IMG]

This bullet is not for a Turbo 350 ( it is a 700R4 ) ... but you can see the seal inside the bullet. The Turbo 350 bullets have a seal in them like this. :)

7. tooslow54

tooslow54

Yeah, it had nothing on it. Went to autozone yesterday and got one that fit. Just wasn't sure if it should leak whether or not there was a cable connected.

Sounds like it "shouldn't" leak but isn't a major issue if the cables attached (therefor holding the fluid in)??

8. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

typical o ring

go to your local trans shop and talk to the manager and tell him what you got and talk hot rods and he will give ya one