Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Texting and Hot Rod Sales

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGasser Madness, Feb 10, 2020.

1. I don't have a problem with this. Sounds like the wording in my next ad.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Bingo.....I thought it was just me, but I do think there is a segment of the population out there who probably don't have gas money to come and see the item you have for sale......but.....love to show the email and pictures to a friend as "something I'm thinking about buying". Have fun.

Baumi likes this.
  3. Thanks for all the feedback . I agree texting does start the ball rolling and is very convenient .....eventually if it is a serious buyer there will be voice communication . I have met a lot of great car guys by phone even if a sale does not happen . Being around this hobby most of lives one can usually tell who is serious . I posted this thread as I have my 57 150 for sale and am going through this at the moment . Two potential buyers have left me hanging , I politely ask just give me a "Thanks for your time but I'm out" . No hard feelings on my part but a bit of closure . Being a seller one has to expect the good and bad , it is all part of selling. Thanks again for the replies.

lothiandon1940 and bchctybob like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I can't text. I cancelled my cellphone account a year and a half ago and got a land line. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it feels to drive anywhere and no ringing phones, go out to dinner and no ringing phones. I told myself that I was not going to go through life being a zombie constantly looking down at a device. I agree that people that only want to text on ads are not real serious. It seems like people want to conduct business somehow with no human contact these days... that bugs me

5. What's your number so I can go ahead and block it ?

6. Actually - no a nice picture or two - a close market price - that should draw an interest - don't know how many purchases I've made where the seller just is frustrated by the lack of folks that will take the time - if interested - to come take a look - more times than not being happy to take my offer. I for one discount a HELLOFALOT - to the first looker - if the vibe is right and his offer comes close - I'll often take a little off his offer !

bchctybob likes this.
  7. Life is short, free time is even shorter. Too many people want to talk for too long, buying and selling,If I called, I'm already interested, I don't need you to spend half an hour selling me on it. This is why I prefer emails. I can answer or read them at my convenience, and since I live where cell service is terrible (you'd be surprised how many people cannot believe this), texting is more likely to get through than an actual call. I don't mind calling, but would rather see something in an emailed or texted picture than drive 200 miles to find oversold junk.

The people that want to make a lowball offer or want buyers to make an offer, both without ever actually seeing it in person is the trend I don't understand. By-product of too many "reality" car shows is my guess

8. adam401

adam401

I text when I want to buy things all the time. Cars, tractors, all kinds of stuff. Im serious, I have cash and a trailer. I just dont want to talk to you and Im busy.

Saxman, 37hotrod, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

I don't text at all. I have a flip phone and the keys are too small for my fat fingers. I prefer emails, I can send a few pictures, then we do phone or in person.
    When someone is not facing me in person, my lowest price over the phone is double whatever the asking price listed was. If they are willing to come and meet me, we will talk about the price then. Gene

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I hate texting during phone sex.

alanp561, williebill and Blue One like this.
  11. It takes me 5 minutes and my glasses to type something. When people say "just tex me your address, etc", and I tell them to just write it down, by the time I work out how to send a message, the car will have rusted away. People nowdays are getting lazier, they don't read the whole ad, and I reckon half of them can't even write.
    I only put my landline in the ads, and still sell stuff. Somehow the landline scares the techno-slaves, but I can live with that.

12. justjeoux

justjeoux

And some of you wonder "why wont my hot rod sell"

Saxman, Gasser 57, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I have something for sale on Craigslist or FB marketplace I usually say text, pm or Email as I hate frigging talking on the phone and around here 70% of the people who call can't speak English anyhow.

The main reason I prefer text is that my hearing is shot due to too many hours of firing a machine gun and too many hours in loud shops. Second reason is that I don't always have the phone within reach when I am working on something and getting back to a text or message on my time works well for me.
    The no text guys around here are usually the guys with just a land line or flip phone.
    I had a job for 16 years that didn't allow for personal calls at work when we were out on the floor and my wife and kids would text me then. Both my kids (35 & 40) have jobs where they either can't take personal calls and I text them all the time. It's personal choice. My 93 year old mother refuses to use the text feature on her phone and knocks herself out of contact with her grandkids and great grandkids and then complains that she never hears from them. All she does is bitch about one family member or another if anyone calls so few of the younger ones want to call.

Saxman and bchctybob like this.
  14. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I was thinking the exact same thing! lol

15. 327Eric

327Eric

I dont text. I am a crusty old dinosaur, and am fine with that. I will do e mail to a point, but no price unless its face to face.

tractorguy, 40FORDPU and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried phone sex once...but the phone kept falling out of my pants.;)

17. Actually, if you have something someone wants, and you put a fair price on it, your buyer will find you no matter what. Trouble starts when you have something nobody wants, or you're asking too much for too little.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  18. I've heard suspenders help....o_O

19. trollst

trollst

Like Moriarity, I don't text, and don't want to learn. When I have my flip phone, it's for me to call if I need to, it's rarely turned on. I don't like being followed, tracked down, whatever you'd call it, silence is golden. I get pissed off if I'm with someone, the phone rings and whoever suddenly becomes more important than me, I will not wait for a lengthy conversation to end. I like to talk to a buyer, I just bought a cargo trailer, spoke to the guy in person, got a feel for his honesty, and struck a deal over the phone, he held it for two days and I picked it up, was just like he said it was, both of us very pleased. My wife wants me to keep the phone turned on, but I refuse to play, a sore point with her.

bchctybob, tractorguy and 40FORDPU like this.
  20. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I have embraced technology and have bought some very expensive stuff just from texting. Its a lot easier and and smooth. Its easy to tell if someone is serious quickly, and payment is easy with PayPal. Lots of hard to find stuff on IG for sale and majority of the time text and PayPal is it. Heck now I communicate with some car buddies just through text and catch up at swap meets when we see each other. It makes a busy life easy.

Saxman and Squablow like this.
  21. 5 years ago I got this kid helping me line up a shortie glide to direct connect to a 9". I'm underneath working on the mount, and the kid's moving the tranny around. His phone rings, and he damn near drops the tranny on me. Turns out it's his girlfriend just calling him because she misses his voice. WHAT THE FUCK, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I took his cell phone over to my bench and smashed the shit out of it with my short handled sledge. Gotta give the kid credit, he didn't say a word. His phone stays outside the shop now, and yes, I bought him a new phone.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its REALLY simple. I always put in my ads 'I only respond to phone calls and will not reply to SMS etc'. Soon stops 99% of the muppets.

trollst likes this.
  23. clem

clem

Amazing that so many are anti texting, would rather speak in person, yet use this forum, without speaking in person, to discuss it......:D
    Advantages of texting is it provides a record of what is said.
    But I too hate those that make a ridiculously low offer by text, rather than in person.
    Also struggle to deal with those that can’t spell, and don’t have the manners to put their name to a text. Most just don’t have any manners.

24. ...............Damn muppets! :mad:

williebill, hotrodjack33 and jim snow like this.
  25. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I buy and sell items all the time using 100% text. I was against it at first but now I'm all for it. I know the reason I prefer text for address' is with one touch it will load into my maps and give me GPS based directions.

I only have time for my family and a few friends......I have no interest in meeting more people. There is certainly a generation gap on this topic.....

Saxman, bchctybob and Squablow like this.
  26. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

What work great for me is to put in capital letters TEXT ONLY NO CALLS and sure enough they call.

clem, bchctybob and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

65 with arthritis in both thumbs FROM WORKING, I couldn't text even if I wanted to.
    All you texters are gonna have the same problem if you keep at it and it is a real bitch.
    Now get off my yard!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  28. unfinished

unfinished

I had not sold any vehicles lately(I guess that is why I now have 9), but recently listed a truck. I apologize as it is off topic for this site. It's an early model low mileage 4wd Toyota. I guess these car TV shows are partly to blame as I keep having folks offering me 50% of my asking price in cash. I am at a loss as to what else I would sell it for? I also resent someone asking me what is the least I would take before they see it. I guess I will just keep it.

papajohn and bchctybob like this.
  29. Both hands are cramping!!

30. jim snow

jim snow

I’ll bet he got the message.lol. Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.