Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bettie mcnasty, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. reverb2000
    Joined: Apr 17, 2005
    Posts: 441

    from Houston TX

    not a parts car...just need another title...theoretically speaking that is...I realize you would never do anything crazy like that
  2. jabber
    Joined: Nov 22, 2004
    Posts: 225


    No , not another title, another vin tag , this vin cannot be registered in texas, So i need a vin tag, or a parts car...."to transfer my parts over to", and then title that car.......
  3. Mozes
    Joined: Nov 16, 2006
    Posts: 155


    Man That Sucks,they Dont Fuck Around In Texas Huh?
  4. Thresher
    Joined: Jan 31, 2007
    Posts: 134

    from Austin, TX

    Jabber - I thought I was going to have the same problem with my T two days ago (THANK YOU Fry's auto title!!!) and I ended up scraping by with a VA title washed through Texas. I still had to pony up the, cough, $1100 sales tax, cough, TWICE - once in Texas, once in VA - $350 , but I am now a clear TX title owner. I learned a few hours after I paid my second check that Alabama only required a bill of sale and not a title prior to 1976. Find a 1955 Lincoln in AL for cheap. Buy it. There ya go.
    Hope it helps.

    *edit - obviously, they don't even have to send you the car. just the bill o' sale. Then you take the bill of sale, get it "inspected" and greensheeted and you're golden. Give me a pm if you need help with the, eh, "inspection". ;) My guys were very good to me.
  5. It's gotta be human error, that car doesn't even look crushed. Even in the slightest.
  6. tjm73
    Joined: Feb 17, 2006
    Posts: 3,391


    I find it hard to believe you can't force the TXDOT to legitimize the car if you have the car in your posession, the title to it and the previous owners (in person, if possible) in front of a Judge going back to prioir to it's "suppsed" crush date by this salvage company.

    If you can prove the salvage company never legally or physically posessed the car, and therefor never crushed the car, then it should be reversable.

    If you are 100% confident you can legal prove the history and existence and ownership of the car, get a lawyer and go head to head with TXDOT. Situations like this come up and bad or flawed laws need to be challenged.
  7. Goztrider
    Joined: Feb 17, 2007
    Posts: 3,066

    from Tulsa, OK

    I just talked to my dad down in Eufaula (Ok) and he's been in used cars and such for years up here. His suggestion was to just bring it to Oklahoma (you'll have to bring the car too) and have an address here you can use for a "residence." The local DMV agent will/is required to verify the VIN# against that which is on the title, and if they match, Oklahoma will cut you a title. If you don't bring the car, they will issue registration, but hold the title until the VIN# can be inspected.

    If you need an Oklahoma "residence," feel free to use mine. I'd hate to see something like this car be screwed up through the DMV forever due to some clerical error. I'd think too that if the title is washed through Oklahoma then Texas would have to re-honor the car when it comes time to transfer.

    Let me know if'n I can help.
  8. Larry T
    Joined: Nov 24, 2004
    Posts: 7,661

    Larry T

    I don't think the problem here is getting a title, it's the fact that the car is on record as being crushed in Texas. I figure any time you go to register the car it will red flag it and no title. The only options I see would be a "parts car" or court date.
  9. InDaShop
    Joined: Aug 15, 2004
    Posts: 2,785

    from Houston

    Yep that car VIN can never be titled in Texas, or any state that Texas talks to in fact. That car according to the computer does not exist any more. Texas has no mechanism to ever make it exists again even if it was an error. The law is flawed but its a 15 year old law, that no one in Austin has seen the benefit to change.

    The only chance that car has of seeing the road again legally is under a new VIN. Which is why a parts car is needed to "transfer" parts over to and get inspected and registered under that clear non crushed VIN.

    John this sucks to no end. I thought and thought about it last night and there is no easy solution to this. FAWK!!!!!

    Let me know if you need help "swapping" parts over and drinking a few cold ones why we make it all legal and what not.
  10. Brad S.
    Joined: Feb 5, 2005
    Posts: 1,317

    Brad S.

    Yup yup.

    Dammit man.
  11. jabber
    Joined: Nov 22, 2004
    Posts: 225


    Goztrider, Thanks for the offer, but I'm affraid once I come back to texas to register it, it will not be able to be registered because the vin will be the same, the vin is bad, not the title.

    I think the best route would be to find a parts car........but that is also a problem, this is the only 55 lincoln capri I've ever seen in person, not a popular car for a junkyard.
  12. Goztrider
    Joined: Feb 17, 2007
    Posts: 3,066

    from Tulsa, OK

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.