Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Texas Mile Lets play how fast will I go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Mar 10, 2009.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

:I will be going to the Texas Mile 27-28 of this month. I missed last years event due to the birth and loss of our son.

I built my model A after given the opportunity to buy the body from my late friend's father. We lost him in Iraq serving our country. First off, the body and block were my friend's.

I built up a BBC 468 with a 871 blower, four bolt main splayed main caps, & forged everything - dish blower pistons, Lunati blower cam & internally balanced.Aluminum heads. I used a Franklin quick change for the convenience of gear changes. I will start out with 268 in the rear end. The transmission is a 400 turbo. Rear tires are Mickey Thompson E/T 315/60/r15 - around 31 inches tall also I am using a straight axle.

There are other details like the parachute and other crap, but I am getting bored writing it down. If you get a chance stop by and say hello. I will be giving it the Whiteley try and hope to go really fast. We will see?... Also feel free to make a guess at top speed<!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Anderson

Anderson

Good luck!! Um....135?

Do you have an pictures of the car with it aired all the way up? Just curious.

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Aired all the way up.:)

Attached Files:

4. 59mercsled

59mercsled

man that sucks about your friend. I have lost many friends to this war. But i think its awsome that you continued his legacy and finished his car. I hope if somithing happens to me when i deploy in November that some one will think enought about me to finish my prodject.

5. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

WOW what happened there?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

168 but will their rule book let you run the bags that let the body drop on the ground?

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

The body will not set on the ground I can loose my bags and still drive.

8. BiggMike

BiggMike

The only rules for NHRA are shocks. I was going to run airbags and shock waves and the only thing they said I had to have was a shock on all 4 corners. But that was about 6 years ago. If there is a cage and chassis in it and you can get it to hook you should be in the 10 sec range in the quarter. WHat is the weight, hp, tire size, gear ratio.... You can get pretty close with this info.

Mike

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Tim was in the Army and loved his job before he left for his second tour I told him I was worried about him. He looked at me and told me not to worry he was doing something he wanted to do and loved it. We all miss him and every time I drive the car I get to think of him makes me smile. You keep your head down and stay safe Thank you for your sacrifices from the Whiteley family.

10. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Car is 2740lb 50/50

11. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

so sorry about your son and your friend it was great to meet you at the thaw

you were hauling ass ! but I could see the tires slipping and growing and rocking the car as It went down the track it looked like it was hard to keep straight..
    hope ya run 150

12. Rusty

Rusty

142mph buddy

Go get em

Rusty

13. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i don't think anyone that runs el mirage (1.3 miles) uses that tall of a gear. i'd drop it down to something over 3.00:1. if you were running the long course at bonneville then that 2.68 might work.

good luck.

14. TV

TV

A mile comes up real quick!!!! I'd say 136 and change.---TV

15. 12171951

from earth

just a concern, dont go faster than the speed rateing on the tires.... or faster than your angel can fly, 143mph

16. TV

TV

I'd listen to Beef Stew-------------- put in a 325 or close.--TV

17. Crease

Crease

Best of luck to ya! Be safe and make some HAMBers proud while you're at it.

18. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

we usually run either a 3.19 or 3.33 gear depending on the motor.

btw bitchin' car! my buddy ran 175 mph at the texas mile with a mitsubishi eclipse making about 500 hp. that'll give you something to shoot for!

19. Glen

Glen

how fast have you had the car up to? strange things CAN happen when you let off at 120 mph. I found out real quick not to snap your foot off the pedal.....roll off the gas nice and easy.

Best of luck to you.

20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

If Tim (Mad Cad on here )can run over 160 at the Salt in his Cad powered A Sedan you should certainly be able to get in that neighborhood...Nathan....Hope to see you and your Dad at the Salt ...Are you borrowing Roy`s car again?

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

lol hey tinbender, i'm trying to figure out which kiwi i know that's from warshington! but yeah roy said he retired the lakester years ago so it's at our disposal for as long as we want. we're going to run at speedweek which should give us enough time to rebuild the motor in time to go run at the november el mirage meet. in the mean time we're building a new streamliner. shootin' for 200 mph with our flathead banger.

22. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I`ll come by and say Hi....I know your Dad a little bit, but Roy and I go back years. Our old car still holds the F/FCC record....I`ve helped Shug and Kiwi Steve the last few years..still don`t have the money to put my own effort together.....

23. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

for sure stop by and say hello.

24. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Wow...I didnt know the whole story behind the build of your car -
    Wish you the best man! Look forward to reading 'bout your success at the Texas Mile....Cool YouTube vid by the way :D

25. bigken

bigken

Kick-Ass Larry, and come back in one piece. Video's would be cool, too.

26. bradslowmodela

bradslowmodela

if you keep er straight and true 132 is my max out...

27. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

You should make 150 - pay attention out there!

28. sun down

sun down
    from tx

never seen your rod run but I know it is a neat looking machine,
    I appreciate you taking the time last yr at Rusty's Seagoville event to tell this
    old man about your car.... you took the time to answer a lot of my dumb questions....I love that car.

I am going to shoot for 145 mph.. good luck and be safe..

29. What kind of power will you be making, 500-600 HP? Your gearing sounds too high but other than that I'm thinking 170mph or higher.

30. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I will be running the blower over driven 10 pounds of boost 116 racing fuel around 13 to 1 compression. I have not had the car on the dyno should be well over 800 HP. I have gears to go up or down no problem I thought I would start out 268 and move around from that point. The car at ride height is 44" tall.