Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas kid checking in

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by trevorsworth, Aug 3, 2020.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey yall, decided to go ahead and register cuz I’ll probably be needing to ask all kinds of dumb questions soon. I’m 25, from west DFW. Antique collector & restorer.

Classic cars have always had my attention and I have wanted to get into the hobby for years but never could afford it. I still can’t but tomorrow I’m buying a flathead V8 and diving in headfirst. Never worked on anything this old but I’ve been elbow deep in classic cars here and there... planning to learn as I go by getting the motor running on a stand and building the rest of the car around it.

The motor I’m looking at is a truck engine that was pulled from a truck that was being restomodded. It was running when pulled but has sat for 10 years. Still turns over freely.

I really like the old school rod styling. My destination is a “traditional” rod, unchanneled, on leaf springs and original axles, but we’ll see what I can afford moving forward. Glad to be here!

If anyone in the area wants to come wrench and drink beer I’ll provide the beer. I’ll need all the help I can get.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Welcome from the N/E side of the area. Gonna need some coin for the Flattie....but Im sure you knew that already!

trevorsworth likes this.
  3. Hey mate... Welcome. Sure are diving in at the deep end.... Kinda what I did as well.

Good luck and welcome again !!!

lothiandon1940 and trevorsworth like this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Sound like a plan to me. I drive thru Weatherford (to avoid Ft Worth traffic) going up to the big Pate swap meet every year. The swap meet this year was moved to Oct 1 thru 3 and is still on at this time unless the state shuts it down. Friday is best day & Sunday the worst as man vendors will be shutting down then. Masks will be required. Located on huge parking lot at Texas Motor Speedway so going would be a short trip for you. Pate has a website so you can keep up with what is going on about the event. That way you will see many parts on your wish list and if you got some cash no telling what you can take home. They normally sell around 9,000 vendor spaces but that may likely be down this year.
    Start a build thread and post some photo's as work progresses even if all you have is the engine.
    Good luck, Jimmie

5. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Welcome, I’m from Anna, just north of a McKinney on 75. I own a transmission shop in Lewisville, so if y’all ever want to do something in the evening y’all, just give me a heads up and I’ll drive something to work that day.
    Weatherford ain’t far