Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Texas HAMBers / Hwy 281 questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 14, 2019.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next month I will be heading south to Hye, TX. I'm thinking about using 281 highway. Is this road Kustom friendly? Probably pick it up west of Denton, TX. I appreciate any suggestions; places to eat, stay etc.

2. ABSOLUTELY. Great road to cruise. You'll go thru a lot of "now sleepy" towns, that were formerly major stops on a former major Texas highway. I love cruising 281, when time allows.

Old highway 81, was built in the 1920's. Same roads traveled, by many an outlaw of the day. Obviously, now paved over, but any highway used by former Texas presidents, is still maintained for all to enjoy, raised, lowered, or whatever your vehicle of choice.

It is ... so to speak ... a vacation road. Tons of cool, old school motels, hotels, and gas stops that still maintain high levels of comfort, to the modern day traveler. You won't regret it, and feasibly ... you may never travel 35 again.

Hombre and straykatkustoms like this.
  3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your destination is very close to Fredericksburg which is a fun place to visit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

straykatkustoms likes this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

You will find the people along that stretch of road as friendly and genuine as any Texan in the state!

straykatkustoms and 55styleliner like this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Fun country, that “ Hill Country” of Texas, take your time, there are many good things to see!

Bones

6. Hombre

Hombre

I just spent a month in Texas, and traveled on 281 down to Johnson City. Very cool crusing road right thru the Hill Country. Lots of hills and such but some really cool scenery to look at. Hye is a little west of 281 on 290 and that drive over to Hye from Johnson City is very nice. Tons of Bar B Q places all along that road, and a great one in Hamilton. The road is cool as well just a good driving road. Have fun beats the hell out of the Interstate any time.

7. 55styleliner

55styleliner

As others have said, great road, great scenery and a nice way to see some of the best of Texas.

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the help, I'm looking forward to the trip.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If I remember correctly, been a spell, take 290 West at Johnson City and go a few miles to Lukenbach, Texas. Plan on spending a couple of hours there. Lots of fun! Wrote a song about it! I spent a week down there on two wheels a couple years ago.

Bones

10. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

I have always enjoyed driving this route, both day and night. Just an old country highway even through the bigger towns. If driving at night, be on high alert for deer all along the length of your trip.

There are plenty of distractions and great food is plentiful along the way. Car guy distractions are there too, like
    Martins Rod and Custom in Lampassas, http://www.martinsrodandcustom.com .Then you could detour a short (by Texas standards) ride to Hammerfab http://www.hammerfab.com and 1-Off Kustoms (15225 W State Highway 29, Liberty Hill, TX 78642 ) in Liberty Hill before heading back to the Highland Lakes area as you go through Burnet and Marble Falls. Then move on to Johnson City, which is just another short drive from the South Austin area shops if inclined.
    Have fun!

straykatkustoms and 55styleliner like this.
  11. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Rex Rods is in the building next to Martin Brothers and they are H.A.M.B. friendly and building really cool traditional rods. Customs and Hot Rods of Andice is also in the Austin area and rivals any shop in the country for the quality of their high end builds.

Hombre and straykatkustoms like this.