Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Texas guys...seen this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Let me start off by saying that I fully understand that this is a longshot but what the hell ya know. I was talking with a friends dad last night at the local drag strip and the subject of his old 56 Chevy came up and as I took a trip back down memory lane with him I couldn't help but think that maybe I could use a lil technology (aka the power of the HAMB!) to locate his once cherished possession. The car was sold to a gentleman in Texas sometime in the early/mid nineties, Im thinking 93-94. I realize Texas is quite large but during that pre-internet time it was most likely that it didn't go much farther than say Texarkana to Ft. Worth or maybe south towards Longview or Tyler. The car itself is/was a white 1956 Chevy 2dr. handyman wagon. It was the 150 flavor if memory serves correctly. Yeah I know, pretty vague, but a Hamber could spot this one pretty quickly if it hasn't been turned into just another street rod by now. Couple of distinguishing traits were that it was a straight axle car, although it did not sit nose high, and the rear tailgate and window had been welded shut and molded into the body including the hinges and hinge pockets. The car was originally black and it was treated to a shitty white re-paint with even shittier bodywork, esp. around the upper edges of the roof where lots of filler was evident. This was ultimately what led to the sale of the car. It had a black vinyl interior which was either pleated or diamond patterned, pretty much straight sixties hot rod stuff, buckets, column mounted tach, floor shift, etc. It was a small block/4spd car and ran a set of slotted mags on it.
    My friends dad owned the car since 1960. He was (is) a true old hot rod enthusiast and as we talked I asked him if he ever wanted car back and his reply was "I don't know that I could ever buy it back for anywhere near what I sold it for but I would sure love to know where it is." So that lead to this and unfortunately I have no pics of the car and all of his are on Super 8 film, which I am going to try to get him to have converted to digital media bc he has tons of vintage drag racing footage from tracks all over the place. Maybe just by chance one of you guys on here bought it or had a buddy that did. Its been awhile but twenty years passes pretty quick so maybe its still sitting just the way it was. Btw...he still has the money in the envelope that the buyer handed him the day he sold it. Thanks for reading this guys and thanks in advance for any leads that may come of it!

2. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

That's a great story....hope you find it

3. Just bringing this back up for anyone interested.

4. Thanks 31. I cruised through most of the google images I could find last week but nothing really stuck out. As much as I would like to think that this particular car is still sitting somewhere untouched from its former life I understand that its highly possible that its been changed and updated in the past 25yrs. I actually had a lead a few years back about one that fit the description sitting in the driveway of a residence in Wake Village, Tx just outside of Texarkana. I got lost and turned around every way from Sunday trying to find it with what vague directions I was given and no one that I spoke with in the immediate areas knew of one. It would be kool to find it but only time will tell if I ever do.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Odd that he hasn't spent the money in 25 years.:confused:

6. lol yeah Slopok I was pretty surprised by that myself. His son said that he was heartbroken about the deal as soon as the car was out of site and just socked that envelope of money in the lock box and tried to forget the whole deal.

7. Slopok

Slopok

He has much more restraint then I've got. There are plenty of cars that I have regretted selling over the years but at the time it seemed like a good idea. If we only knew then what we know now huh?

8. No doubt my friend!!