Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Antique Vehicle Registration ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Mar 6, 2006.

1. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You are always covered. "I did a little adjustment and am road testing it"

empty ash tray. road test
    air up tires. road test
    wash it for the next meeting. road test

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You are facing the City of Round Rock "junk vehicles" ordinance, NOT a TX regulation. Your antique plates don't show a registration sticker, but just a year, and YOM plates have neither visible unless you go out of your way to show the old tag or the usual window sticker. The PoPo was checking to see if your cars were registered. If not, he was gonna cite you for Junk Vehicle. I think you will have legal grounds for the car to sit out in the open if the registration is current, but I haven't read the current Round Rock ordinance. The Hutto ordinance (usually copied from Austin or Round Rock) reads as I have described. I doubt there is legal standing for a city to ban visible parking of a legally registered vehicle.

3. I've run cars with antique plates and had no problems. Several years a go I owned a purple 55 Buick (I think the car is in Austin now) that I decided to get "real" tags on. Took it to the inspection place and the oversized guy wanted to drive it. When he plopped down in the seat and asked for my keys, I told him to get his fat ass out of my car. If it weren't drivable I would have never driven it here, 6 miles from my house. Well he said okay but I did not get the sticker. WHY? Because I had no wipers. He asked where my wipers were and I said I don't drive it in the rain. But I was pulled over for bluedots. The cop said he thought they were not legal. He sadi "thought: and I called him on that concept. I asked if he could tell me where blue dots came from and what purpose they serve, I'll sign the ticket. He was pretty cool about the idea and I got away. I guess it all depends on the attitude of da fuzz.

When hot rods are outlawed, only hot rodders will have hot rods.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "does bad things to good cars"

4. "YOM" (Year Of Manufacture) plates have been mentioned several times in this thread. It is important to note that Texas DOES NOT have "YOM" wording anywhere in their vehicle code and if you walk into your courthouse and start talking to them about Year Of Manufacture plates, they will give you a totally blank stare 99% of the time. In Texas the plates that are the same year as the year your car is titled are just another part of the "Antique" section of the plates code. They need to see your "Antique" original year plates, take a photo copy of them for their records and they are supposed to look up the colors on them and the letter /number sequence to make sure you have not had some company create a plate for you. Austin gets a black and white photo copy of your plates (don't ask me how that helps prove the colors!) for their records.

Just wanted to make the point here that saying YOM may set you off on the wrong foot as being some sort of smart-a$$, like it has me, so better to avoid that.

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The city of Round Rock sucks.

6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

good luck with that, the cheapest set of 55 plates i saw at the car show swap meet the dude wanted $285.00 beat to hell ...avoid the court house on clay rd. In houston, nothing but morons...

7. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

BAD ADVICE. Register the car as an Antique, not a Classic. If registered as a Classic, you will be required to renew the registration EVERY year (~$55/yr) and have a yearly inspection. With Antique registration, you register once (~$55) for 5 YEARS and no inspection is required. Ever.

You can use Antique or YOM plates when registering as an Antique. I've never had a problem with the antique registrations on multiple cars in nearly 20 years. I don't use my classic cars as daily drivers (i.e. to and fom work and to the store). I use them for just about anything else though with no problems. Of course, my classic car insurance also mandates the car not be used as daily transportation...

8. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I found a Texas 50 plate at a resale/junk shop on Westheimer for $20. Registered as an antique (only requires rear plate) $80. One year $20k full coverage from Hagerty Ins. $250.

No front plate, no stickers.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Since Texas has always been a 2-plate state I believe you must both plates approved by the State for YOM use and run them both just like a modern car. "Antique" Texas current plates may only require one but YOM requires 2.

This is not to say that half of the cops here care whether your have a front plate or not, just that it is the law.

10. rikkitabaras

rikkitabaras
    from dallas tx

Why would you go to all that trouble, is it the antique plate you want? or is your car beyond passing inspection? Two things you can do just have it inspected or try your shady friend (everyone has one) and get you an inpection sticker then you can have the antique plate and the sticker.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I run yom plates but I register as you would any other vehicle, then you avoid Jonnie Law and you can drive all you want no problems. 55$ a year registration+ 14.50 safetey inspection and your done. simple

12. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

Mine does not have a truck title!

13. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I ran YOM plates on the front, and back of old 66 mustang, having the front plate keeps the "idiot" cops from giving them a reason to pull you over.

14. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Ok, just got off the phone with a Harris County Sheriff SGT. friend who says "to the best of his knowledge an 'antique' registration only comes with one plate and regardless if you use that or a YearOfMake plate, only the rear is required."

I've run this on my very 'illegal looking' 50 Ford for some time without incident, but you probably just jinxed me...

15. sixfire

sixfire

No offense, but I think NY is the least free state in the USA. I'm glad I live in the state of New Hampshire. Live Free Or Die!

16. speedyg

speedyg
    from texas

I AM the shady friend!!

17. CumminsCaddy

CumminsCaddy
    from Paris

Will u be my shady friend I need one near Paris

18. Slow55

Slow55

Every day is a test run. Willie Maykit is alive and well.
    Drive it baby!!

19. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DROP...PAY for the proper TAG'S and inspection. and USE the ANTIQUE tag's at shows. man you wouldn't believe how many OUTLAWS are breaking the laws in TEXAS. man are they in serious trouble if the hit anybody. can you say NEGLAGENT HOMICIDE...POP.

20. mastadon

mastadon

It's only legel to run the rear plate if YOM plate is a dealer plate.and I found out the hard way that you can't run the farm truck plates any more.:mad:

21. SickSilverado

SickSilverado
    from Texas

Hey guys. I got a 82 C10 that I registered as an antique. Most of it is period correct except my electric fuel pump, electric fans, and GenIII smallblock chevy. When I initially researched the law, it said the truck just had to be 25years old. But I read somewhere else that the motor also had to be 25years old. My thinking is that as long as I don't violate any traffic laws, the popo won't have any reason to look under my hood and question the age of my engine. What do ya'll think?
    If I get a ticket, you think I could use the excuse that my engine is a smallblock chevy like GM has used for over 50years...it just has an updated ignition system. My engine is also carbureted....when was the last time GM used a carburetor?...It's been a while.

22. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

My roadster is registered as an antique. The law says you can drive it to events of special interest, for the purpose of tuning, or to get it worked on. Like Blake I carry a copy of the statute. If you can't B.S. your way out of a ticket with that much slack in the law you've got bigger problems anyway!

23. roadracer4spd

roadracer4spd

DPS As$#@%&$.. Antique plates BS.....OK I take my Superbird down to SanAntonio for a Mopar show on Sat and decide to drive it Sunday over to a little resturant/bar on the Guadalupe in Centerpoint. I park in the Resturant parking lot, and am inside ordering dinner when a DPS reject comes in and orders me outside to tell me that I have a problem.. He points at my antique plate and said "You can't drive your car to a beerjoint with those plates". I ask him as to why I can't stop and eat on the way to/from a show..He said I was being a smartass... I tell him that I had attended a show Sat and he grilled me on where the show was held. By then another trooper shows up and they converse only to come back to me and tell me there was no such show in SA this weekend as per the internet....I stated I had the Tshirt to prove it....which I pointed to..... ON ME!!!
    Anyway I was given a warning and told "If I see you driving it again (not to a show) I will be cited"

24. snufffueledgorebeast

snufffueledgorebeast

i have a question about how to register my car i just got a 1952 pontiac chieftain pontiac with a running inline 235 the only problem i have is that it is a mexican car with mexican tittle and documentation... so can i register it in texas? hoe do i go about that??

25. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Take all your paper work to DMV

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best kind to have...

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I drove my 53 with antigue plates for 3 years with no problems. My 69 Chevy will have YOM plates and it will be my daily driver. Go for it. Just be ready to have an excuse...

28. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

Ive had mine registered as an antique for over 2 years and nobody has ever messed with me about it.

29. Lonestarrpm

Lonestarrpm

I have a 1975 Porsche 911 RSR Replica

It's a purpose built track car.

However since it is a 1975 chassis in Texas it qualifies as antique.

I'd like to know what minimum equipment is required to drive on Texas roadways.

I realize that I wouldn't have to pass inspection.
    However the car has covers over the headlamp openings, no wipers, horn or ebrake and rides on track tires.

I realize being safe on the streets, I'm not planning to drive like an idiot.

But the occasional Friday night car gathering or church car show, etc would be a blast.

M

30. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

My OT car is registered as an antique with YOM plates and no front plate. Never been pulled over for any of that.(knock on wood), but I don't drive it daily. It is always a car show for somebody when I drive. I carry a screwdriver and a red rag-"I'm test driving it to try and get the carb adjusted correctly". Maybe the Barney Fife small town cops are a different story, but I think APD will leave antique plate guys alone unless you're acting like an idiot. Seems like there are tons of idiots in regular cars to keep the cops busy anyway.