Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Antique plates update... NO FARM PLATES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LDGn63, Apr 1, 2011.

1. LDGn63

LDGn63

I JUST bought a set last week. Took em to the DMV this morning and they showed me a memo dated 3/28 stating that FARM plates can no longer be used for antique registration in TX.

Somebody tell me I'm dreaming! Lol

Just wanted to save someone the headache!

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

3. LDGn63

LDGn63

Thanks bro! I knew you would help a brother out! ;-)

I would LOVE to know the logic behind the states decision. I mean, I've seen TRUCK plates on a 71VW! now if that ain't weird nuthin is!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's either April fools day or you didn't do your homework and the guy that gave you a "great" deal on the plates a while back did his.

5. So are you really asking if there is any "logic" coming from a Texas state agency? Logic has never gotten in the way of them making a decision. Why would a YOM automobile plate be any different than a YOM farm truck plate? The real difference is that there are two plates for the automobile plate and only one for the farm truck plate; but you only have to have the rear plate on for a YOM plate in Texas so what do you do with the front plate?:confused:

Doesn't make any sense to me.....:confused: That's just the way it is for some reason.....

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I thought that went into effect at the beginning of the year?

7. Michigan is the same way now trying to register YOM plates. No, commercial, no farm, and no special use plates. Even if one is trying to register a 1951 farm truck. Also, with our new governor there is rumblings that registering a YOM plate for your classic will no longer be a one-time fee for as long as you own the car, but will rather become a yearly fee.

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Can you apply for a personalized plate with the EXACT same numbers and letters on it and then just keep the personalized plates in the car and run the "vintage" ones? I have heard of guys doing that & as long as your not being stupid on the road with burn-outs or razing cain, then I have heard that it will work.

9. the way I understand the current law is if you already have farm plates registered you are grandfathered in...am I correct on this?

10. LDGn63

LDGn63

I didn't do my homework... I've seen them on trucks so assumed I was golden! Famous last word... Assumed!
    The really ironic part is I missed it by 4 days!
    I have another set of STD truck plates and will use them and I'm only out $18 on these. I just wanna save someone the hassle if I can.

I still think the NO FARM thing is silly. But since I see more '83 chevy WORK TRUCKS with antique tags than anything... I can only imagine that soon antique registration will be a thing of the past.

11. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Not true, farm truck plates are pairs too.

True. One of my trucks is grandfathered in with 72 farm truck plates. I tried to register my 63 with farm truck plates and I got shown the same memo as the original poster.