Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Texas antique plate and inspection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigCountry34, Jul 7, 2017.

1. BigCountry34

BigCountry34
    from Houston

So I'm trying to find out, if I'm registering my '51 Chevy as an antique do i need to get an initial safety inspection or can i just take my title and insurance and get my plate with no inspection.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure doesn't look like and antique in the avatar and doesn't look even close to HAMB friendly either.
    Antique, collector and YOM plates all come with too many restrictions to suit my ass and I'd rather pay for the tabs every year and just drive it and not worry.

X38 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  3. missysdad1

missysdad1

In Texas no inspection is required for antique plates but you will need both title and proof of insurance. Registration is for 5 years. Use restrictions are in place but seldom if ever enforced.

belair and tfeverfred like this.
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I just did this last week in Dallas county. Took my 64C10 for a safety inspection and was told by the inspector if I intend to register as an antique that I didn't need the inspection. At that its only a safety inspection anyways, horn, brake lights, good tires etc... easy enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. what Missy and LSM said....I like them...because of the five year dilly....and if they are sitting - the code compliance can't say "the safety sticker is out " and give me a junk motor vehicle citation....like Missy said - not real inforced - but most don't use theirs as a daily driver...know some that do....they just try and be law abiding so the man doesn't have a reason to pull them over....

6. belair

belair

Supposed to be only for parades, other car show-like functions, and getting gas and garage work. And like my daddy sez when he drives his Nomad, " Everywhere I go is a car show."

hdman6465 and 72yenkonova like this.
  7. 2500 miles a year is also what they say.....I go get gas a lot......and yer dad's correct....every time it's out - is a show !

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Why not make it safe and roadworthy? If it is, no need to skate the laws.

Every car I own or have sold will pass inspection and is registered normally or as Classic. This allows them to be legally driven.

I see ads stating "antique registered, no inspection required". I read that as "needs brake work, has no wipers and maybe some of the lights work..."

southerncad and X38 like this.
  9. With ya - 64CS.....if I had only one car....and no city of Dallas code compliance on all our asses....a YOD plate would be great.....and a lot more money $$$....unless I sell some of the 30 or so cars and about the same of vintage bikes.....(but bikes are little easier to hide).....a 5 year plate is about $60.00...so $10.00 a year......the other fancy plates cost a lot more.....y'all can decide which way you go.....me...I'm trying to keep the weight off my ass......

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think there are 2 types of antique plates, one is more flexible (and marginally more expensive) than the other. I run YOM plates my Rover, no issues at all. I have the flexible historic registry with no restrictions.