Register now to get rid of these ads!

Testing the waters. Possible chrome venture being considered.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2s83, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

If you want to make a small fortune in the plating business, start with a large one. Good luck. I really hope it works out for all.

2. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

This is just a side venture for me. Not going full tilt. If it starts to grow where I need to allow for larger parts I'll cross that bridge when I get there. As of now its manily focused on the smaller items that don't necessarily require the top notch finishing. Had a few requests for valve covers and those are about as big as I think I'll go right now. Maybe some rods or trailing arms that are longer would be fine but thats about it.

Thanks to all those that have PMd or Emailed about sending parts out.

3. Ill be sending you the motor mounts as soon as I'm done with my mockups. Hopefully by the end of next week- 10 days ish.

4. COUNT1353

COUNT1353

GO FOR IT
    <input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

5. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Email sent.
    This would be perfect for my daily driver build. I'm in!

6. Im in, gonna start polishing

7. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Wish I would have caught this earlier . . . would love to have the radius rods/torsion bar/front axle done on my dragster. Every chrome place down here was 3-4 months wait.

8. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Length would be the only concern on those items.
    On the rods I could go longer as I can tilt them at an angle. The axle would probably be more than I could take on at this point.

Lead time should only be a couple weeks. Especially with the initial interest expressed. Sounds like I'll have a couple orders to start on soon.

Thanks again guys!

9. alchemy

alchemy

I've got more stuff in the mail to you.

10. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Great!

Thanks for the heads up. I should be able to get some stuff ran next weekend. Sounds like I could have a decent run to start with!

11. What is the longest you can do? I have a 2 part windshield frame (and a few other things)but by the sounds of it it may exceed your capacity.

12. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

On narrow parts I could probably go to 5ft maybe a little longer. The top of the windshield could be tricky if its the style I am thinking of.

Just don't want to take on larger parts like bumpers or bumper halves. Even grille bars and hood bars are a little more than I would like to try at this point. If things change I will post that. Trying to keep to the smaller parts that I could get in and out for you guys without a long wait. I also don't have a ton of spare time to be taking on more than I am comfortable with. Hence the reason I am limiting what I am willing to take on.

I'll also stress again that this is a clean and shine plating. No pit filling, dent removal, copper plating. (some copper but not a heavy layer for bleanding imperfections.) I am offering a cheap lower quality for those that would like some chrome but don't need it as nice as most shops perform and charge for.

You can email a picture with dimensions of the frame to me at [email protected]

13. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Still taking orders.

I know I had several mention they were sending some parts in the near future. Trying to run in batches to save on costs.

14. tpw35

tpw35

Will you be plating any suspension peices? If so make sure you bake them properly after plating to relieve hydrogen.

15. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Unfortunately I don't have an adequate oven to bake suspension parts after plating.

Any suspension done would be at the discretion of the owner. I've seen it done many times without baking and most were warned but didn't see it as an issue.

I was once apart of a decision to decline to do some suspension on a car that was used in competive racing. Mainly because the rules in the competition didn't permit anything but electroless plating as that doesn't cause the embrittlement issues. He actually didn't realize what the difference was and appreciated us looking into it for him.

Hydrogen Embrittlement certainly occurs during electro-plating but how much exposer is required before damage would occur is unknown.

Hard Chrome is where most concerns lie as those parts are plated for many hours at a time in the Chrome. Decorative plating will usually consist of 30-60 minutes of Nickel Plating and 1-5 minutes in the Chrome. Some times 1-3 hours of copper is required. (Copper and Nickel are also lower current plating so the level of embrittlement is lower than that of Chrome)

Simply polishing the parts and sandblasting them relieves some of the hydrogen embrittlement that simple oxidation causes.

Yes, Rust on parts causes embrittlement as well.

Baking alone doesn't guarantee a fail safe piece either. Depending on the type of part as well as material its made of will also dicated proper temperatures and durations required to fully relieve the pieces of hydrogen embrittelment.

Long story short. Its up to the owner of the parts whether or not to take the risk or not are items subjected to stress in which embrittlement may be of a concern.

Baking could be done later on but from what I have been told its a better bet to do it immediately. Wouldn't hurt to bake later on either though. If you had access to an oven.

16. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

17. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Going to be making time for another run.
    I haven't had as much interest as initially thought.

Anything I can do to get some more orders in?

18. What about headlight rings, turn signals and tail lights for a 55 Century?

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jimmy, Be sure and post a few photos of what your finished product looks like showing various results based on the "roughness" of the part sent to you.

20. lebl468

lebl468

I'm curious if it would be worth while to do some small parts from Canada. Chrome plating is expensive up here too, maybe even more so. Not sure if the shipping and whatever duty would be a deal breaker. I'm talking small, light weight stuff like headlight rings, small interior trim. I think this something I am going to look into.

Chris

21. iamdiffrnt

iamdiffrnt

Just like 19Fordy said, get up some before & after pics showing a few levels of prep.

22. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm curious also..... Like what is a ball park figure for the center dash grille or speaker cover on a 52 chevy truck? The part would be blasted.

23. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

x2.

Do you have any pictures?

Got a couple events over the next 2 months but then a break . . . would love my front axle/torsion bar and radius rods chromed.

24. indyjps

indyjps

I'd be interested, but would want bumper sized items. Would you offer chrome stripping services? Make it clear that the way the part comes in is the way it will get dipped. Price it on time and square footage to cover depletion of your tanks.

25. I sent you a couple of emails asking about how and where to ship stuff but got no reply yet. I may have been sent to the spam folder.

26. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Will do. I forgot I hadn't done that yet.

Have to find the card with those pictures on them.

Largest parts being done right now is Valve covers. No bumpers.

I'll check the spam folder and get back on whether those emails were received.

Thanks for the input!

27. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Just sent you a pic. I'd probably have some other small stuff too, like an air cleaner etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.