Register now to get rid of these ads!

Testing the waters. Possible chrome venture being considered.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2s83, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I would be interested in getting some valve covers done. I dont build show cars , so I dont need show chrome.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

2. henry29

henry29

I would definitely be interested, where in Indiana are you?

3. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Polishing metal good enough to nickle / copper / chrome plate is an art. It takes specialized equipment to do it right. It is not something someone that has never done it before can usually pick up quickly and have a piece worth plating. Nickle and copper will even out minor imperfections in the base metal but it does not fill like primer does when prepping for paint. Crappy polishing means crappy plating.

4. The "chrome" part of the plating process is very much like a clear coat.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

why not start a poll. you like it or you don't. my problem is just small parts. you can buy chrome pulleys and valve covers. there is also alot of repo emblems and trim.

i no a few will have special parts. is that enough to open a business?

6. modeleh

modeleh

I can forsee all kinds of threads by guys here who are unhappy with the results regardless of what they paid. Just like all the threads where people payed peanuts for sandblasting or powdercoating work, then ask for sympathy about how bad a job the guy did and how they got ripped off. You will have lots of customers, but cheapskates are often hard to please. Especially ones who don't understand how much effort it can take to do a job right.

7. F&J

F&J

Many people have non-modern engines that have pulleys etc that are not available in repro chrome; generator bodies, fans, odd voltage regulator covers, any piece under the hood.

I think he will be swamped with work, even doing these smaller parts. What i mean is, that if you polish your own few pieces to send in for a test, then get them back....it will get addictive. You will want to send the hood hinges next:D

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

point taken. i could see unlimited possibilties there. may work.

9. verde742

verde742

maybe the cheapo's would be happy with just nickel plating, then STOP, like one guy said,
    chrome is the clear after the nickel.

10. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Whoa! Lots of replies last night and lots of questions.

First the "copy chrome" "cosmi-Chrome" and similiar spray type processes are not chrome. Not in any way, shape, or form. Their durability is soley based on how well it is clear coated. The majority are silver based and should the clear fail... well we all know how well silver holds up when exposed to the elements.
    2nd I don't have much experience in painting so it would be something I would venture into anyways.

This would be a real electroplating setup. Copper, Nickel, Chrome. (Hex chrome). The same stuff on the OEM cars of the 30s, 40s, 50s, ect.

The plating would be the same as any other shop. If you prep your parts well the part will plate well. Just because it may have some polishing lines or pitting doesn't mean the plating will not peel off. The cost savings will soley be in the less time spent polishing the part and not doing repairs.

I will post some before and after pictures to show how parts in better shape come out better. Potmetal would be a crap shoot. If its a piece without corrosion it'll be ok but if there are pits that need drilled out and filled then its probably best to go elsewhere. Potmetal will blister if there is rot in the metal. I can sucessfully repair potmetal but its a tedious process and plenty of shops already offering it but not cheap. I don't plan on offering potmetal repair just a polish and plate.

I am currently in Indiana (Winchester) so a shop would be nearby.
    I only have 1 PM so if its something you would be interested in please PM me as it would be easier to keep track of how many would be interested.

Also to start this would be a side venture and nothing more. If there is only enough business for a hobby then thats what it would remain. If it grew to be a self sustaning business then that what it would become. It will be determined by the market.

Seems like a decent start so get ahold of me and we can get something rolling. Would love for someone to let me do some samples so that they can post the examples of what was done for them.

11. wsdad

wsdad

I think you'll have enough people that want this service to keep you busy. The guys who don't like the idea don't matter. You could have 10, 000 people who think it's a bad idea and 500 who like it. 500 customers will keep you busy. If you were to do this, you'd have to make it very simple, short and clear what you're offering. For instance, if you called it something like, "U-Prep Chrome" and then further explained the concept in one or two sentences. That way the customer will understand what you're offering and won't be upset by expecting something different. I like the concept. I think you'll do well. Many people can sand parts at home. No one can chrome at home. You might put some prep and packaging tutorials on a website. I'm sure you've probably already thought of all this - just thinking out loud. Good luck to you!

12. "Word of mouth customers" is probably the most important aspect for any business. When people see a poor chrome job, they do not think that is what the customer wanted. They will assume that the chrome shop is to blame. Word of mouth will be "don't go there". Remember, your name is on it, it is your reputation. I know a tattoo artist that will not fix or add to another tattoo artists work. He does not want the customer telling others that he did it.

13. To me, and maybe I'm wrong here but ...
    Poor chrome work is blotchy, turns colors around corners and the like.
    Poor prep work for chrome shows draw marks and tooling marks from manufacturing and sanding scratches from a half assed attempt at correcting these.

Check out the 100.00 after market chrome oil pans for an example.
    Mediocre chrome work on zero prep work - & selling thousands of them.
    Check out an after market chrome coil bracket, same stuff and selling thousands of them.
    Some cast iron parts are chromed over the sand impressions, bitchen !!!
    Some forged parts are chromed over the markes, bitchen !!!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  14. "chrome venture being considered"
    It is safe to say, that any and everyone on this site, has had chrome plating done.
    It is also safe to say the major majority work on their own cars, have skills, and aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty.
    It is also safe to say, the majority of us, will try to save a buck, where we can.
    That being said, many would prep their own items to save money on chrome cost.

Answer..I think you would be extremely busy, and you would be as successful as you allow yourself to be.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I think its a great idea and I think you'd be buried with work orders in no time. I'd send you stuff, absolutely. Especially for a nickel finish.

Guys, he's not offering "shoddy chrome work". The shoddiness level is up to the customer. Prep the part well, and it'll look great.

I say do it!

16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^^ He gets it.

I think it's a helluva idea. The prep work lies solely on the customer. The only problem I see is if & when a piece fails or doesn't meet standard, is not many guys are gonna take blame where blame is due. I don't see many stepping up & saying "Yea, I half-assed the prep so it looks like shit...". They'll throw the blame 'you-know where'.

I like the idea, and good luck to the OP. But, it may be a shit storm waiting to happen.

18. Chrome on non perfected surfaces ???

Attached Files:

19. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

I would be offering "some" prep. Customers wouldn't "need" to prep their own parts but are more than welcome to do so.
    What I won't be doing is spending the extra time to fill the deep pits (blemishes) or spending the extra time sanding down the parts to be absolute mirror finish.

The plating aspect of it will be bright chrome without discoloration in the plating itself. It will reflect the blemishes that are in the finished product. Adhesion will be like a top chrome plating shop. I'll make sure the parts are ready for plating. If it comes with some rust, paint, grease, ect on it I will have to remove it before plating. Not going to contaminate my tanks. I've had to deal with that at other shops and won't be going down that road. Not fun!

Best analagy I can think is buying a burger. You can go to a high end joint and spend $20 for one of the best burgers one can imagine. Or you can go to a fast food joint and buy a greasy and cheap burger. Both are burgers but you know the differance.

I'm going to go ahead and make some samples up for viewing pleasure. Before and afters and then see about taking in some small orders for 3rd person testimonials.

Thanks for all the responses and questions guys!

20. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I think its a great idea....why not have a choice? If you have a piece thats perfect or some newly fabricated bracket or widget that needs chrome you can send it to him....if its a piece that needs prep work that we cant do and have it turn out nice, I will send it somewhere where they specialize in that. I am sure the latter will be more expensive ....choice is KING. I dont understand the hand wringing......dude...you will be buried in work.

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This goes for any business no matter what level of quality you are at. There is a market for anything.

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I`m with you all the way here. The guy is giving everyone a chance to do their own prep work to save money. If you don`t trust yourself to do excellent prep then pay him or someone else as would have been your only option before. Timing seems perfect for this ,the way the economy has taken a nose dive.

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

There is a huge market for ten footers. I have a bunch of things I would plate as a ten footer especially if the price was relative.

24. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a guy that does this for me. Very little prep. But on stuff that is already nice enough (sometimes new) or parts that are hard to see. Its great. It wouldnt be chrome otherwise.

25. I would too. I dealt with one autobody supply shop. He stocked refurbished bumpers. On some, you could see either etch or sanding marks under the chrome, but the chrome was nicely done. And the price was good at the time. No idea where they were being done.

Bob

26. ev88f

ev88f

I'm all for it and I think you would have a hell of a lot of business. As was said above you may have ato watch out for people not understanding what they're paying for

27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My biggest concern if I was you would be the EPA. There are only a hand full of plating shops left on Long Island because of the endless restrictions they impose on plating shops. There are several things to consider such as ventilation, rinse water, waste water and heavy metal sludge disposal. The EPA takes chromium waste VERY seriously. It would only take one unhappy customer or neighbor to turn you in. Also many suppliers of copper, nickel and chromium anodes and ingots won't even get involved with someone who doesn't have all the required papers. Something to think about.

28. Squablow

Squablow

I used to work at a chrome shop that offered "street chrome" which was basically what you are describing, didn't have to be perfect, sometimes customers would try to prep themselves.

They quit offering it, said that customers would either nitpick details, or still thought it was too expensive. That and the reputation thing at a shop that did some extremely high end work.

But that said, there is certainly a huge market for what you are describing and I think you'd be slammed with work.

The key would be to teach your customers on how to prep parts so they're ready for you. Maybe a series of youtube videos or something showing how to grind properly, how to sandblast and the level of cleanliness you require (huge deal), how to use silver solder and how to buff, that kind of thing.

Some of the customers we had did a real nice job of pre-prep and some made the work even harder than if they left it alone. If you give your customers some guidance on what you expect their parts to look like when they arrive, you could get some decent results. Pre-stripping old chrome before prep might be a big issue though.

29. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I think this is a great idea, and you will have tons of business. If this thing gets off the ground I will be sending in parts for sure. Hell I might just bite the bullet and send some in and be the guinea pig here. Whats the worst that can happen? My car is not a show car, never will be, nor do I want it to be. Its a driver. Count me in!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Thanks for the advice!

It is appreciated and understood. I have dealt with the EPA regarding the compliance of electroplating and metal finishing. I was involved with implementing the newest guidlines to be enforced on Nickel and Chrome plating baths.
    Thanks again as I appreciate the concern. Its not a business for someone without know how. I consulted with a shop that tried to get into plating. Well they full on were in plating spending massive amounts of money and never worked with or knew how the process worked. Needless to say they went under and lost alot of money in the process. They were actually lucky as some have gone in and wound up in prison for contamination violations.
    Not a thing to be taken lightly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.