Register now to get rid of these ads!

Terraplanes, Hudsons, and Essexes!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick66, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi patrick66. Thanks for bumpin' this thread back up...just found it. Not many cars here, considering the thread is from May '08, but the ones that are here are great. I guess it proves that Hudsons are fairly rare birds. Here's my '47 Super Six club-coupe. I've had it for two years. My wife and I put quite a few miles on it before the #6 piston cracked. I've got the engine out for repairs. Thinking about an engine swap. Test fitted a...I hate to say it...SB Chevy and 3-speed. I have a feeling you guys would suggest a 308 or maybe an AMC motor. But you know how it is...break down three states away...I can fix or even replace the SB in short order. We'll see. So here's my car, such as it is...not perfect, but solid and straight. - Rick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Don't you dare!

3. Got a kinda artsy-fartsy pic of my Terraplane today, as I got it loaded on the trailer for the trip home. Larry (46chevy) did a wiring job, brake light, signals, some paint repair, and a couple of other things on my '37, and today was the day I went to retrieve it. It was in SW Missouri, and I'm in central Oklahoma. I missed my car!!! But, it's home now, I'm going to clean it up in the morning, and take her for a spin! Wooohoo!

Rickybop, you have a neat coupe there!!!

Attached Files:

4. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

I hate to put on my humble old metal, but here it is. '29 Essex RS Coupe, such as it is, homebuilt frame, I6 chevy with a T-5 tranny and S-10 rear end. Been two years now and counting. Thanks for the thread. :)

Attached Files:

5. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Nothing to be ashamed of there! That's a pretty decent looking project.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Lookin' good Perley!
    I got power today, so now I've finally got a chance to catch up!

7. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

To Boyd Who, thanks for that boost to my morale. I have a build thread on another forum, PM me if you want the address. Regards, Perley

And my Friend Sam (Gigantor), I am so glad you finally can run a welder and have lights. Wasn't it a little difficult with candles????? haahaaa. It made a terrific difference for me when we got power. I used to load up the trailer with everything mocked up, truck it down to the shop, use the welder, then reload the trailer and truck it all back to the 'hut'. NO FUN. Sometime when you are in the area come down and have a looksie. Give a hollar if you need a hand or inspiration, or whatever! Regards, Perley

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

You used to be Amish?? :rolleyes::D

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Patrick drove this into my cul de sac saturday. Really cool ride. Kinda stock for me but abitchen ride anyway.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

I telly you what, BoydWho... after dicking around in the dark for a year and a half, I have A LOT more respect for the Amish and don't know how they manage to do what they do. I felt helpless.
    Driving past the occasional horse-drawn carriage for sale gave me some ideas about chopping the top and channeling the buggy way down over the wooden axles. I wonder if there are Amish hotrodders. Hmmm...

11. skull

skull

front 1/2 of 1937 hudson terraplane, back 1/4 of 4 door 1936 desoto.:confused:
    built somewhere between 1937 and 1939 so l been told.
    more info at desrtclassics.com.
    custom made striaght 8 only 22 inches long.

later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  12. Gigantor

Gigantor

That's just wrong. :(

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gigantor Sam! As a matter of FACT (no joke here), my wife and I were in Amish country a few years back. As we slowly passed one of the black buggies on a straight stretch, we saw two you boys laughing and watching for tourists' reactions. Why? 'cause they had fuzzy dice hanging where the rearview mirror would be in a 'rod! We STILL laugh our asses off about that!!!

Amish hotrodders!!!

And, yes! Congrats on getting power. Hard to do trad lead bodywork with low-temp candlepower only!!!

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Oops! I meant YOUNG boys, not YOU boys. FAT dang fingers!!!

15. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Oddly enough, we have a bunch of Amish folks living about 20 miles east of us. I never realized there were any in this part of Canada until we moved here 2 years ago. Kinda cool seeing their buggies cruising down the side of the highway.

16. 47Hudson

47Hudson

Dads 49 and my 47. Dads had his since 68 mines only been in the family since 05. Both run 440 based Mopar engines. Dads car was purchased in Colorado when he was in the Army and he drove it back to Ga., when he was discharged, towing his 65 Corvair. In the early 70's he installed a 308 six from a later Hudson. The engine was assembled by Ben B.B. Blackburn from a block he had in the back of his shop. Ben was the mechanic for Tim Flock when he won the NASCAR championship and a real Hudson wizard. That engine rests in the corner of our shop waiting to be installed in another project someday.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/blalockspeedshop/BlalocksSpeedShop#

Attached Files:

17. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Thanks for posting!!! I love both and have always wanted to know more.

18. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Hey Essex Truck Buddy, Heres mine in action this week.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      575.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      557.8 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      522.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Once I get mine fixed up next summer, we really need to try to attend at least one event together so we can park our trucks side by side. :)

20. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

SORRY WAS GONE FOR AWHILE, That sounds like a deal.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Here's mine. 34 sedan chopped 3-1/2. Narrowed 8-3/4 mopar rear. 33 chev grille. Grille shell needs chopped, it's also channeled 4 in. Sure would like to have twin H power in it!! Lippy [​IMG]

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  23. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

found these two on the side of the road a couple of weeks ago on a roadtrip.

ignore my thumb, I'm not used to an Iphone still.

Attached Files:

24. I want so bad. There was one with a hemi in it a year after I graduated high school...

25. Here is my '37, with the running boards on and ready to roll!

[​IMG]

26. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Mine looked almost like that when I started on it, but time changed it.

Attached Files:

27. Heres my mate Jims kool Huddo from over here in Australia, this car is the BOMB!!!! Jim you reading this [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

28. aaggie

aaggie

I've been working on my '37 Terraplane for three years but put it aside to finish my '40 Chevy.

I did a complete frame off using a Fatman M2 front end and fabricated a triangulated four link Ford 9" with coil overs on the rear. I built a 4.3 Vortec V6 and TH350 for power.

29. Terraplane? Yeah, deal me in. '34 convertible coupe. Stock 6. Rumble seat, factory skirts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010