Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Joseph, Great looking engine!

Joseph Allen likes this.
  2. madmike3434

madmike3434

Joseph Allen likes this.
  3. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

I m really liking it, I only have an inch between the pully and the radiator I had custom made by a local shop , more pics to come how’s the roadster coming?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike and Bam.inc like this.
  4. buick did things different, #1 on the opposite side ,starter on the opposite side AND upside down ....not bad........just different.

31chevymike, Bam.inc and Joseph Allen like this.
  5. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

That will be a nice car , look forward to seeing pics of that build , I want to do a pick up next , so can get rid of my new truck

31chevymike likes this.
  6. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

I used a mini starter, gave me more room to work with .

31chevymike and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

If you look up Buick rodder online he had a lot parts and info for these motors , would like to see that pick up

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    31chevymike likes this.
  8. 20170929_213104.jpg 20170929_213143.jpg
    Busy putting floors in. Glass comes this week so can get them finished .New box and rear fenders. It's getting close !!! 20180209_224211.jpg

9. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

31chevymike, Fern 54 and biggeorge like this.
  10. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    31chevymike likes this.
  11. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

joseph ,what power brake unit did you use

31chevymike and Joseph Allen like this.
  12. Have everything for the car .NOS trunk lid with and hinges for either trunk or rumble seat. Handles for either one as well. Roll down back window and drip tray. Good front fenders and fair running boards and rear fenders.Canadian hood (different than 33 american hood).Nos grille insert .
    I have been collecting for 12 years for this car.
    Sold my 34 5 window last year .

13. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

I’ll have to look I can’t remember, I found it on eBay, did have to modify it a bit to get around the running board brace

31chevymike likes this.
  14. madmike3434

madmike3434

Yes the drivers side running board bracket the front one is in the way when running a power booster and brake master. When I did my 35 coupe using a kit, it placed the master booster right over the run board bracket. Ended up with a U shape in the running board bracket that I also boxed.

The solution I am going to use this time is to place the booster a little farther back and use longer rod to the booster to clear it.

Right now am about to try to get a tremec 6 speed stick transmission into that X member assembly. So far had to remove the top of the x member plate to see whats available inside . Lucky for me I had previously removed all 12 of the factory rivets and replaced with 3/8" grade 8 button head allen heads. The shifter as I measured it will be right against that top plate. Lucky me ! Good thing the tremec has a shifter plate you can move from front to back to get it 3 1/2" farther forward and out of the trouble zone.

When I get everything set up and in place , maybe take some pictures to post.

mike lynch

31chevymike likes this.
  15. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Yes that’s what I did bolted the booster to a steel plate where I wanted it and lengthened the rod..

31chevymike likes this.
  16. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

[​IMG][​IMG]

31chevymike and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. This is the 34 5 window I built and sold .
    34 ford chassis with a 1961 390 hi performanc
    and toploader 4 speed . noname.png

18. madmike3434

madmike3434

JOE, I can see you also got the 1935 only under floor brake booster and master adaptor, think it was ECI brakes.

There should have been another adaptor to take it from the front part with added in middle part to make it work properly. Who ever designed it , did it without ever seeing the actual chassis.. I have same one from GEARHEAD ENT. not using as going to stick instead of auto. My coupe has this setup. Roadster will be diff., Booster ends up right over top of the 1935 only front run board bracket support.

Oh this system as shown in picture DID NOT WORK. Booster was single diaphragm, does not have the GM disc disc combination valve , needed 15/16 bore corvette master, and most important, engine needs to be able to produce 18--21 + inches of vacuum. Running a hot cam, your not getting any vacuum. SSBC makes an electric vacuum pump also sold at JEGS, end of brake problems, like night and day !!!!!!

mike lynch 35 coupe frame.jpg gearhead.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    31chevymike likes this.
  19. madmike3434

madmike3434

So we got the plastic block assembly sitting there on a crate at right height and distance from the firewall in the frame ready to start fitting motor mount brackets too the frame. Get the Lakewood scatter shield bell housing out of the box, damn heavy. Get the tremec magnum 6 speed out of the box. HUUUUUUUUUM, that trans is not going to bolt up to the bell housing. Lots of measuring. Clean and jerk the 124 pound trans onto a bench that can take the weight and try fitting the bell housing to the trans. W T Hell, this is not going to work. Bell housing back into the box, trans shipping box , both into truck and off we go to performance Improvements where I got all this stuff 4 years ago..
    Turns out the boss of shop ordered the wrong bell housing for my SBC 1986---1996 Chevrolet one piece rear seal crate motor. I get a credit note to use against the purchase of a quick time when they have a sale on with no sales tax on weekend. Then I have to wait 3 weeks to get a QUICK TIME bell housing that fits the tremec t-56 magnum trans and cough up another $300 for this other bell housing.
    So motor mounts sit there waiting until we can proceed.

Maybe I can use some of this time to actually clean up the garage before I trip over something and impale myself on a sharp object.

mike lynch

Joseph Allen likes this.
  20. Same problem here Mike , gonna trip over something and impale myself as well LOL

21. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

22. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

I suppose your saying I’m going to need an electric vacuum ok I’ll add it to my 20 page list , as my wallet gets THINNER !!

31chevymike likes this.
  23. madmike3434

madmike3434

Joe Allen...........I discovered on my 350 ZZ4 crate with GM roller "hot cam" kit that the motor would not get any more than 13 " of vacuum, despite adjusting timing and watching the vacuum gauge and also adjusting air fuel mixture to optimum using the vacuum gauge. The brakes never felt right, I was never confident in the cars stopping power.

I did the vacuum pump and the dual diaphragm booster at the same time on advice of an ex mechanic friend of mine.
    The pedal feel and stopping power after the upgrade was felt INSTANTANEOUS . This is the way it should be. Never having 4 wheel discs before I just assumed that's the way they worked, similar to my 1991 cutlass supreme with 4 wheel disc. GM denied there was a problem until a TV show called market place x posed it on whats called the W series cars platform...........buick regal...Pontiac grand prix, ..Chevrolet Lumina... Oldsmobile cutlass

My 35 roadster under construction has all the parts to do the brakes the same........4 wheel Wilwood disc same as the coupe. The brakes on my 35 chev touring with full jag suspension and brakes, has all the parts here to convert it over. It too also stops like a slug. Prior owner thought the brakes were great............NO !

Joe all you can do is run and tune engine and attach a vacuum gauge to the booster port on intake and see what you have at 650--700 idle, if its not 18--21 inches at idle then start thinking about dual diaphragm and vac pump. Nobody wants to put things on their car they don't need , creating unnecessary money out the door.

Lastly, I thought of going to disc disc master and GM combination valve , but no power assist, because vacuum doesn't matter. I could not find anybody who had non power disc disc who would give me an opinion on both types.

mike lynch

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Joseph Allen likes this.
  24. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks I;m long way from this but it is nice to know.

Joseph Allen likes this.
  25. A vacuum resivour would do the same as a vacuum pump as well , no . Resivour is 60.00

26. Sorry for the spelling

27. madmike3434

madmike3434

My friend Frank Agueci has a 1931 olds coupe with a 92 LT1 Chevrolet motor. His problem as he found out was that the single diaphragm booster just didn't give him the brakes he wanted. Front has kugel IFS with Wilwood dynalite 4 piston discs, rear is jaguar with stock jaguar 2 piston discs. There is some kind of size in caliper volume mismatch going on. He installed the DUAL diaphragm booster and problem was corrected . I don't know why he determined the single diaphragm was the problem. He is coming back from florida.

I am just relating these experiences in the hope if somebody is having problems these solutions may help sort it out.
    The camshaft design is the main culprit, too much lift and overlap.

A large bore master 1 1/8" is not the answer, a smaller bore of 15/16" or 1" creates higher line pressure, I believe is what I read about 6 months ago. I googled **something** and came up with what I took to be the correct answer.

I believe that NON power disc disc requires a lot more foot pressure, but nobody could say they had experienced both. Some corvettes camero's the power was an option

mike lynch

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  28. Brakes only slow you down !!!

Joseph Allen likes this.
  29. madmike3434

madmike3434

only if you touch them with your foot

mike lynch

Joseph Allen likes this.