Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I love it! It would be hard for me to do anything but drive it.

2. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

No Chop on this one, headliner will be like a woody. Bad Donkee Junior Kelly & crew are finishing up and it's heading to the Mike Sholley upholstery in a couple of weeks. Maybe be ready for Detroit??? PM Junior Kelly at Bad Donkee for the latest pics. Thanks for the compliments, J'mike

3. purplerod

purplerod
    from florida

Here's my 31 sedan made into a delivery. I hope that Ghost didn't care if I used his ideas for the build. Most of the wood was gone when I got the car so putting steel inits place was not a big deal plus I priced the wood kit to replace it with- very pricey

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. Here's my 31 sedan made into a delivery. I hope that Ghost didn't care if I used his ideas for the build. Most of the wood was gone when I got the car so putting steel inits place was not a big deal plus I priced the wood kit to replace it with- very pricey
    <fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG] [​IMG]

Great looking ride! Can't speak for him but I don't think Ghost will mind. He does some great work. Seeing any of these old Chevys back on the road is a good thing.

</fieldset>

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Not working is slowing me down some.:D

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm in with the makings of a '31. Just a frame, some suspension parts, 1954 235, and various other parts, so I will need some inspiration (and money) to get this together.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

8. trbomax

trbomax

That is beautiful!!! Please tell me your leaveing the fenders on and not chopping it!

9. john miller

john miller
    from KY

Thank you for the responses.
    My first rod so I have a lot to learn. Tentative plans are for a non-chopped, fendered, wood replaced with steel, V8 & manual trans driver. It will be awhile before I start on it but heres a few more pics if you're interested.
    http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx106/jmillers62/27 Chevy/

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great pictures, thanks. What wood I see looks to be pretty sound. Please do some folks here a favor and save what you can if you remove it and don't give in to the bonfire celebration. Also that coupe would be a great venue for a bad ass four cylinder. A stock GM/Mercruiser 181 makes 140 hp. Im building a Chevy II 153 for my roadster and am expecting between 175 & 200 hp. Plenty for the street. If you haven't seen the following thread it may interest you. It took me a week to read it, but I'm slow. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463465

11. 29moonshine

29moonshine

want to add my 36 suburban it came in pieces with a lot of wood missing so i am going to redo it with steel but the body is good

Attached Files:

12. arkracing

arkracing

Picked up this '36 Trunk Sedan about a month ago. Runs and drives with a '57 235 6cyl. If you can't see it in the last picture, it had a large tree branch fall on the rear section of the roof. Its pretty bad, but repairable. The rest of the car is very nice.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. That had to hurt! Are you going to be able to fix it?

14. fordflambe

fordflambe

Very nice ride......My first hot rod when i was 19 was a 32 Ford 5-window with a smashed quarter panel. I have wished on many occasions i still had that car. Yours can be fixed with a just a little work.......heck, look at what they did with Stroker McGurks' 40 that was burned completely up......they can be brought back!

Nice car!

Fordflambe

15. Normbc9

Normbc9

The wood does offer its challenges but there are good alternatives that also improve the structural integrity of the car. Here are a few to see. The black one is my daily driver.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

16. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I'm back... I took a hiatus for a while. Got completely disgusted when I got the shaft a few years ago. I learned a lesson, picked up another hobby restoring/collecting 80's BMX/Freestyle bikes, got married to an awesome woman who doesn't mind my hobbies. :-D

I actually pulled the 29' Coupe body out and mocked it up in the driveway last weekend. I have thought about selling it so I can concentrate on my 29' Chevy roadster. The cash would go a long way towards getting me started into the roadster but the challenge of building them both makes me want to keep it... Glad to see you guys are still here and getting some work done... my turn now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. Welcome back! Keep us up to date on your 29s. Congrats on finding the right woman!

18. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Thanks... I'm juggling what to do. I really need quarters for my roadster. The first set took me2 years to locate and 3 years and $800 later, I still don't have them(long story and yes, I'm still pissed) I've gone as far as contemplating on using the extra coupe quarters I have and modifying them into roadster quarters which is a huge undertaking. I've been thinking that while I am making the sills for the coupe, just make a second set for the roadster. This way, at least that's done. I've also been entertaining the idea of making a roadster pickup since I can't find quarters in any condition.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It seems that a while back the opposite happened to Jimmy B. He found roadster quarters here and they never made it to Australia. Maybe he could hunt down yours and you could find his. Did I ever tell you about the Wind Turbine I bought from Australia? You got off cheap. I wound up in a law suit with Bank of America. No more out of country deals for me. I'll by my foreign made stuff right here at home.:D Welcome back anyhow.

This thread is not about a Chevy but Matt is doing a great job of making the sheet metal he has become what he wants. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594849 Like Jimmy has done with his Chevy. I'll keep an eye out for quarters for ya'.:cool:

20. hey thanks for the info.

21. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Anyone help a brother out? I need measurements from a 29-31 roadster and pics. Specifically door area.

If someone replaced the door wood with steel and still has the old wood, could you take some really good pics and measurements so I can duplicate the wood? I am going to be building a couple sets of new doors for 29-31 roadster/ touring car and my pattern doors are tweaked and have zero wood left and the wood will help ensure proper shape when I wheel out the skin... A flexible tape pattern would work too. :)

22. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

"Remember Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark." :)Yes but the Amateur had a more experienced Engineer.:D Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

23. Has to be someone on here with a 29 - 31 Chevy Roadster that can get measurements.

24. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Well, it looks like the guys over at the VCCA will be able to help me. I will make sure to post up any info that I get...

One fella is going to make a set of door wood for me so I can have something accurate to fit the door skins to. Also got some leads on hinges, handles and a windshield. :)

25. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

I can help you guys out with measurements or whatever you need off a 31 roadster, My car has wood like original and is finished... only problem is I wont be near the car until the middle of march, if you can wait hit me up with a pm and ill let you know when I get home

26. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Scored some stuff for my 29' roadster on Saturday. Bought a really super nice windshield base, a pair of headlight buckets and the stanchions also. The best was the blueprints for the top irons, rumble lid hinge and rear deck panel blueprints. I'm going back in a couple weeks to pick up a set of new bows for the top also.

While I was there, I was able to take some measurements and photo's of his stock 31' roadster he is restoring.

Attached Files:

27. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

More pics...

Attached Files:

28. midroad

midroad

Hi, I just discovered this thread. I hope my pic comes out. It is a 1929 Chevrolet tourer as we call them in Australia. They were imported as chassis and cowl and bodies were built at Holden's in South Australia. It still has the original wood frame. Chassis is original boxed and fitted with a Corvette replica 350. Most of the paint is original 1929 enamel. If you guys are interested I'll try to take some more pic's this weekend.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  29. Nice looking ride! We'd love to see more pics.

30. old slingshot

old slingshot

I belive this is a 1915-16 chevy 490 , am I right . If so can I join ?

Attached Files: