Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. I would just like to say thank you Paul for posting the shim process. I'm not at that point on mine but hopefully soon

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

You got photos of your frame work for mounting doors? I’m trying to learn how to do my 34 chev 4 door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Here is my 34 four door chev, not sure what model it is, it’s got the camel hump on the back. As I’m going through this thread I’m learning what to do for converting to steel. Just hung up on where to start or how to hang doors. Any pointers?
    [​IMG]

Fern 54, Six Ball and nunattax like this.
  4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Where did you find the wood???

5. you need to start by getting the frame straight, and the body squared up and mounted to the frame evenly and securely

6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I’d like to find a sill to put down and put the body on it nicely and square it up

7. I built a 31 4dr using 1"x4" tubing to replace the sill wood. once I got it bolted to the chassis I squared the body on the new steels and built up from there. I don't remember shrinking any thing, all the new door "posts" were cut to shape with the plasma cutter and welded together to form them.

Fern 54 and TFoch like this.
  8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Thanks for the tips! I’d preferably rather have steel at least for the sill. But having a base to start from is good so building the steel up from that wouldn’t be too bad. Very happy to have got myself a plasma recently. No good ol cutting torch for those clean cuts lol
    You got any photos?

9. no photos of the 31. but I did use a bunch of 1" square tube through out the car. start with the making sure the frame is solid, straight and square and build up from there.

nunattax and TFoch like this.
  10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I will do! Giving up isn’t an option!