Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

If you note my screen name that is from the name of my business Seaaire Machine. One of my wise ass friends started calling it Seahaire Machine witch I'm taking as a compliment because I'd like to think my Machine work is very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Have we seen:
    The hot wrench ?
    The red wrench ?

loudbang likes this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Blue Flame Crescent Wrench

loudbang and OahuEli like this.
  4. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

When having to make precise cuts with a torch my old boss would say " you'd better sharpen your torch "

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and ClayMart like this.
  5. LOL . . . and git it on the gnats ass. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  6. southerncad

southerncad

Have also heard the term " a real hot rodder, measures it with a string, marks it with chalk and cuts it with a torch to get it perfect":D

loudbang, OahuEli and Speedwrench like this.
  7. LOL first car I ever chopped was an A coupe. Torch, skill saw with the blade turned around backward, a hack saw and some brass rod. :D We actually used a bent hanger to measure. Eye ball the first cut and match them up to the hanger after that.LOL

loudbang likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Finer than frog hair

loudbang likes this.
  9. ....split 4 ways.

s55mercury66 and loudbang like this.
  10. My friend *Jose who normally spoke Spanglish to me used to say it better be finer than a cunt hair.

*Jose wasn't his name it was Fernando, but he always called me Frijolin (beaner) so I always called him Jose. :D

jeffd1988 and loudbang like this.
  11. Soft top/rag top .....convertible, usually with a back seat
    2-door sedan .....post, split fold front seat back
    4-door sedan ......post. fixed front seat back
    Hard top .....no post, usually a 2-door but occasionally a 4-door
    Coupe .....shorter cab than a sedan/hard top, no back seat but may have a minimal one
    Originally most often pronounced koo pay but over time koop is more often used
    Roadster .....no back seat, no top, no side windows but may have a soft top and soft windows in full factory trim

There are always exceptions and examples of misuse of the above terms, so hang loose, everybody.

Phraseology:
    To be spoken to a young wippersnapper who acting too big for his breeches.......
    "Sonny, you may have the RPM but you don't have the torque." ("ain't got the torque" is even better sometimes)

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Or DEAD NUTS

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

This terminology thing goes way back : Mark Twain spoke of a man who was "Like a steamboat with a 100lb Boiler, a 100lb engine, & a 100lb steam whistle : he could either go or whistle, but not both!"

loudbang likes this.
  14. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

On the Clip discussion around her in SW Minnesota we say Clipped and refer to the Camaro front Stub. Also call it a Stub and not a Sub Frame. Either way neither is really acceptable practice anymore with the inception of all the Mustang 2 stuff that works much nicer.

As far as the advance and Retard thing we are engine guys so we say just that advance and retard, the timing.

We are also Sprint car guys and have always called the Fuel Methanol and a lot of people come in to buy Methanol and call it Alcohol which could actually refer to many different types of fuel as Ethanol is just Corn Alcohol.

The gear ratio thing of Deeper being Higher numbers and Higher gear being lower numbers is always good for a good Ol confusing phone call from someone who does not know what the numbers actually mean. They say it has a really Tall gear in it and I think to myself, Oh so it must be in the 2.73-3.00 range? when they really mean it has a 4.10 in it and I would refer to that as a Deep gear.

15. Baldies

Baldies

Or "balls on."
    Some one earlier referred to a straight trans. We always said "straight stick."
    Has "I got my foot in the carb" for " I got it floored" been mentioned?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Here's one that I just used on another thread and haven't thought about in a while.

Wash down the cylinders. if you really flood one the gas will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and compression will go right down the drain. I have seen plenty of them get washed down over the years, usually new engines that got flooded because hey wouldn't start and dumping gas down the throat of the carb is always the answer.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  17. Larry T

Larry T

Balls out....

SEAAIRE354 and loudbang like this.
  18. Then I guess balls to the walls would be if the spring breaks and lets is over rev. :D

OahuEli likes this.
  19. Larry T

Larry T

Might depend on how big the engine room was and the size of the governor.

:D

loudbang likes this.
  20. :D :D

loudbang likes this.
  21. Larry T

Larry T

Another one that recently came up in conversation. Some one said something about Speed Holes - never heard that term until the 90s. We always called them lightening holes or "It's been Swiss cheesed".

Steffen Jobst, bowie and loudbang like this.
  22. Not sure if this falls under terminology...In other words, used to be cute or clever.
    Or maybe just a regional thing..
    Pontiac Bonnieville

Baldies, porknbeaner and loudbang like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

balls to the wall
    To push to the limit, go all out, full speed.
    A very colorful phrase, one needs to be careful when using "balls to the wall". Although its real origin is very benign, mos people assume it is a reference to testicles.
    In fact it is from fighter planes. The "balls" are knobs atop the plane's throttle control. Pushing the throttle all the way forward, to the wall of the cockpit, is to apply full throttle.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  24. LOL funny anecdote about lightening holes.

When I was little I used to hear people calling them lightening holes. But my little kid brain heard Lightning holes. I always wondered why they were round and not shaped like a thunderbolt. I finally decided that when lightning hit a piece of steel it must make around hole.

Fast forward 40 years and I am with my racing buddy in the pits in Topeka. Someone mentioned lightening holes and I said, "Yea how come they aren't shaped like thunderbolts." No one understood but my buddy laughed and said, "So you thought that it meant Lightning too." Turns out he thought the same thing.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep.Balls to the wall was a fighter pilot term.What it actually referred to was when the pilot got his ass in a crack,and shoved the throttle through the gate to war emergency power.That gave better than 60lbs of boost and the water/alcohol injection kicked in.On the P47 with the R2800 PW that gave an appx 500 hp boost to engine output.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

rtp, Gary Reynolds and loudbang like this.
  26. Baldies

Baldies

Hmmm.

27. KKrod

KKrod

wickerbill - some small part or piece that is missing and you need to make another "wickerbill."

loudbang and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  28. Byakk0

Byakk0

Cranking/Turning over, s'all the same the same to me. Firing on the other hand...

Maybe it's just me but I tend to call all four corners fenders. My bodyman brother corrects me about the back and says "You mean the Quarter Panels?"

And then there's the British with their spanners, hoods, boots, and bonnets....

This one deserves it's own thread, but do you mean something like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  29. On the East Coast, the front fender , grille, hood assembly is called a nose. ( Doghouse, well south of there).
    A front clip is something chopped , or torched off at a junk yard. It could include as much as the firewall and dash area. It could even include a chunk of a real frame. Rear clip..Same idea.
    Never would it be something that unbolts. A subframe is a subframe!
    Now , you could chop off, or clip, a real frame and splice in a Camaro subframe.
    Front end would be the greasy stuff i.e front end alignment.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Larry T

Larry T

Around here, if you're at the races and tell someone their wickerbill is loose, they're probably going to go look at their wing or spoiler.

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.