Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tennessee Titles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSwann, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JimSwann

JimSwann

Im looking at buying a roller project with no title and no numbers at all on the cab or frame. The vehicle is from Kentucky and I ilve in Nashville. Has anyone been through this in Tennessee. I did a search and looked at the DMV website to no avail. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Jim

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

I'm from knoxville , and I had the same problem last spring on a 49 chev 1 ton truck.I spent a whole day calling one office after another & got no straight answer-I actually was more confused than when I started. To make a long story short the trouble made me pass on a pretty good truck.I hope you get your answer. I'm sure me & a lot of others would like to know the correct way to go about this

3. wawuzit

wawuzit
    from tennessee

You can get a RECONSTRUCTED title in tennessee with a bill of sale the drawback is you have to get it inspected to show that it's roadworthy. Call the county court clerk and ask what tennessee requires on a antique vehicle. You may get away with a engine number as the reference. Good luck.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Some have had a new VIN TAG made up with the numbers off the title. Simply attach it to the frame, have it inspected and go down the road. I've yet to see anyone have a problem with this procedure. Thats not to say some state agencies are smarter then others. Another option is to ask for a state issued VIN TAG.

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

if you have a title, no problem , if you really have nothing it can be done just not easy. I usually stamp a number I want in the vehicles rusty metal and get three rubbings of it, get a officer to verify it and get on with it. If you try to low ball the purchase price you will get a look from the state and they will want pictures.

6. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I had the same problem on a glass car one time. I tried the reconstruction route the "new build" route and ended up buying one of those "collectible" pieces of paper you see at swap meets. $100.00 bucks but to me was well worth the cutting of the red tape. Went through without a hitch.

48 Poncho

7. JimSwann

JimSwann

Thanks guys, so far it looks like a pass only because of Tennessee DMV laws.

8. Gator

Gator

I never buy anything without a title, too much of a headache.

9. JimSwann

JimSwann

Its a cab from a 30s Ford pickup, just in case anyone wanted to know.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012