Register now to get rid of these ads!

Temporary Protection for BARE Metal Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camel City Skull, Jan 7, 2009.

1. So one of my cars is sitting in North Carolina climate, half bare metal in preparation for some major body work. Recently I come to find out that I'm going to have to push up some major engine work BEFORE this body work can be addressed. The car might have to venture outside for a while.

Does anyone have any good
    recommendations for an easy treatment over this bare metal besides WD40? something that will last for a few drives and whatnot? I've thought about spraying a single coat of primer over it, but that will still leave work in getting that off. thanks for any ideas guys

2. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

I can't see a good primer of good quality one or two coats as a bad alternative. I am not a body man though. I'd say it would be good to protect the metal.:confused:

3. jscoma47

jscoma47

Gibbs search it ,,, there have been tons of threads on it

4. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

Forget WD40, it wont help. You will need something thicker, like Cosmoline, lol. What about the white lithium grease you can buy in a spray can and is kind of thin for spraying but thick enough to leave a thicker coating than WDjunk, er, I mean WD40. JB

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

WD-40 (or anything silicone-based) is a really bad idea to use on something that will eventually get painted. It's really tough to remove it from all places, especially door jambs and the like. You may not be able to get paint to adhere properly, causing lifts and fisheyes.

Primer is porous, so it will absorb moisture and keep it on the metal, also not good.

Get some rattle cans of enamel paint and get after it...

6. born loser

born loser
    from dallas

7. I have mixed a little clear with urithane primer before, it seals the poors in the primer and stops rust from coming through but still sands off easily.

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WD-40 has no silicone.

9. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I had a bare metal mustang that was coated with Metal-Prep (zinc phosphate) in CO for 6 years. It did well in MI for a year or 2 before it got caught in a rain storm, then it got some surface rust.

10. primer is very bad. i was taught by my instructors to use rattle can gloss enamel. worked for my bare frame in rain and snow

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I think PPG still has a product called DP40.. its a two part apoxy primer that has been used for coating bare metal on eg; Car bodys.. its not poruis like 3;1 primers, .. also you can leave it on and apply your fillers if need be.. it does take a bit to dry but it works well.. keep in mind. it will still need to be covered by a portable garage with a bit of ventilation.. just so the body does not sweat..

You dont need zinc spray on undercoating .. prior to the Dp40.. unless you choose too. added protection..

Hope this helps..

12. Thanks for the ideas guys! yesss prob should have searched.. but it is technically much more fun to just throw the question out there for the 18th time..