Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Temporary exhaust manifold leak fix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strait8, May 6, 2018.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Reporting......So I bit the bullet and pulled the manifold today. I had the gaskets, got some graphite lubricant per the manual, and some hardware. Once the manifold was off I put a straight edge to it. The exhaust manifold ports were a hair lower than the intake but uniform throughout. I spoke to a machinist in the area and he said that some engines are built this way and the gasket makes up for the difference. Looking at my gaskets they really looked uniform but thick. Since the machinist said he was no way going to get to it before Memorial day I decided to take a chance that the gasket would be enough on its own. I used Permatex aviation sealer at the intake ports on both sides and the graphite lubricant on the exhaust ports both sides. I ran a die on my studs and got new grade 8 nuts. I am happy to say she is quiet and seems to actually run better under load. Guessing I had a vacuum leak at the intakes that was solved with the process. No Murphy's law. Total time including trip to hardware store, call to machinist, cup of joe, 10 minute lunch, 30 minute dinner, and a test run...... 10 hours 20 minutes. Good thing I don't do this for a living. Very happy with the results! Thanks to all who pushed me to do this right. Or as right as time allowed me.

2. Very glad to hear things went well!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.