Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Temperature gauge help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Mar 22, 2019.

1. 396/425

396/425

Finished my 60 Starliner and took her out for maiden voyage. Completely rebuilt 352/ trans...new radiator...you name it...we did it. However I am using the original dash temp gauge. After running the car you can see when the t stat opens and the needle is about 3/4 way up the gauge. Is this normal? It’s slightly to the right of the little “rifle sight” mark that’s the little round circle in the middle of the gauge. I don’t think it’s running hot. Runs fine and I don’t smell “hot”. I guess it just bugs me the needle is not in the center.

2. The gauge, it wasn't accurate when it was new nevermind now. If you're concerned about it , throw an infrared temperature gun on it or put a secondary mechanical gauge on it until you get used to what your stock unit is when is reading in its location.

3. All of the Fords I've owned usually ran a bit to the right of center on the gauge...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. One of these little Moon units (not Zappa!) screwed into the block would tell the story.[​IMG]

Texas Webb likes this.

5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

That's the pretty white one? I see where you posted something about 18" wheels but couldn't open it.
    I like idea chevy57 had...the gauge in block.

Sent from my Bell Candlestick

6. 396/425

396/425

Ya I was going to ask if y’all thought I should run stock steel wheels and poverty, but I guess it’s against the rules on here so they deleted my post.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, I deleted that post. we do not allow pics of cars with large diameter wheels. this is a traditional hot rod forum. feel free to start a new thread just don't post a pic with those wheels on it

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah. Put the covers on 'em, (those bags to keep doggies from peeing on 'em)
    What we don't see can't irk us.