Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Telstar Update,,,sectioned another two inches,,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

Attached Files:

2. It just keeps getting better Jim. What are you planning to use for a windshield? Cutting down something stock? Lexan? Custom made$$$? By the way you have a flat there.:D

3. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

The idea for the windshield reminds me of a late 50's Vette though that might be to narrow. Tilted and sunk 59-60 chevy windshield maybe?

4. jonnycola

jonnycola

I love how the wheel wells have the same shape as the buick trim

5. I can see the side trim flowing into / over the rear wheel well.
    As it sits, it looks broken.
    Just my 2c man. You are working on a car, and I am sitting at a keyboard.

6. Looks awsome !!!

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

so far i havent found a windshield that is the suitable width,,,so it looks like i'll most likely end up using lexan......

8. Rikster

Rikster

Jim,

Have you searched for some European car windshield. Something like 58 Opel's or something like that. I know some of those where imported into the US. They might be hard to find... Perhaps somebody on the hamb could get you some measurements

[​IMG]

9. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

If you do wind up using Lexan, there is a type available that has a scratch resistant coating. I have it for the windshield of my drag car an it holds up MUCH better than Lexan for resisting scratches. I don't recall what it's called though...

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i've heard of that stuff,,,in fact a buddy that builds drag cars told me about it,,,pretty expensive i believe,,,but probably worth it if it is scratch resistant..

11. Ralph

Ralph

Originally Posted by Jeff Walker
    If you do wind up using Lexan, there is a type available that has a scratch resistant coating. I have it for the windshield of my drag car an it holds up MUCH better than Lexan for resisting scratches. I don't recall what it's called though...

I Think that's MarGuard (by GE plastics)
    Ralph

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

checked into a vette windshield,,,too narrow,,,,maybe a vintage boat windshield could work,,,

13. I've got one of those high-tech plastic windshields for one of my impossibly chopped projects---it's called "Speedglass" Common stuff in the roundy-round world.

14. Hahaha that's what you get for being innovative, original and way out there. Should have just stuck with the mild custom approach and then it would have been no problem.;):D

15. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

In-freaking-credible!

Those head light pods are pure genius. I wasn't so sure about the bubble top at first but now I have an idea... what about "speedbump" bubbletops like on that silver T-bird that was at SEMA?

Well, can't wait to see the next step in this project!

16. you are a insane man! and this will look killer when done!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You're nuts!

18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks for all the positive feedback guys...keeps me motivated for sure,,,

19. " Danger Will Robinson "

Just a note for reference. If you decide to use a custom fitted winged windshield there are some real problem areas at the outside part of the glass to the upper cowl, especially in a rubber set window.This usually doesnt come to light until final install of the windshield. We ran into this installing a new windshield in my Facel ( handbuilt body). We actually had to bend the pillars to fit the width of the new glass and then cut down the new windshield to size. This was the factory install procedure from day one or for a replacement. If the procedure isnt followed you will wind up with a big crack in the radius between the wing and the face of the windshield . I have a the original install procedure for reference if you need .

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wow,,thanks larry,,,,
    im going to probably make my own frame if i cant find a windshield that is the right width (a friend of mine has a TON of windshields,,so im gonna go measure a bunch of them and see what i can find),,i have a feeling ill most likely have to fab up my own frame and use lexan or acrylic,,,what would you recommend using for a frame?,,maybe brass or something like that?

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

some good progress today..............
    the days of the perpetual mock up may be ending......

Attached Files:

22. (mutters...) Believe it when I see it!:D

Did you give any more thought to using chrome headlight buckets and projector lights? I think it´d look pretty good, and as I said, it´d be a perfect match for the taillights.

Any idea what the front bumper and grille will look like? Or am I opening another can of worms by even asking?!?:eek:

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Jim,

FWIW, I'm told that backlight glass for '53-'54 Chevrolets are now being produced in laminated glass. Maybe a cut down of one of these will fit your new shape for the windscreen?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

24. JEPPA

JEPPA

Really nice Jim! Beautiful profile! I really see it in this photo. I'm sure you will have a unique hardtop and can't wait to see it unfold.

[​IMG]

25. Chad s

Chad s

Only real men lower their cars by letting the air out!

Hoping to see you on Saturday Jim!

26. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

james,,,,,,i do plan on doing the chrome headlight pods,,,im gonna slice off the tips and have my friend vic cast me a clear bullet shaped lens for the tips,,and i will chrome the housings,,,,you are right,,it would mimic the taillights perfectly i think,,thanks very much for the idea,,,,,,,,,

right now im thinking an oval shaped grille cavity,,,filled possibly with a 54 buick grille,,and maybe bumperette type wraparound bumpers...but who knows what ill end up actually doing,,hahah,,

28. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

It's looking really good!
    Have you decided on how you wants to paint it yet?

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's looking awesome, Jim!!:cool:
    Every time I think you've nailed it, the cutting wheel comes back out with another surprise. I have to say though, (almost) every change you've made along this journey has topped the last change. The lines flow and work together soooo nice!
    Thanks for the update.

30. striper

striper

I knew a guy who had one of those '57 Chevies once....only his was an original 4 door convertible. By the way, those hubcaps aren't original.