Register now to get rid of these ads!

TELSTAR: Return to Radical-Ness-Ness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

SO,,,,,,,,,,

a couple of weeks ago, I'm behind the shop taking a leak, when I spy a Karmann Ghia (yep,,,,a Karmann Ghia)..behind the shop next door...Looking at the nose, I start thinking how similar it is to the shape I'm trying to build for the deck area of the Telstar. The dimensions appeared to be pretty close, so I grabbed my tape measure, walked next door, and checked out the situation out.

Sure enough, the dimensions were close enough to make it feasible. I asked how much it would cost me to whack the nose off the Ghia, and to my surprise the guy that owns the shop says "I'm not in love with that car,,,you can HAVE the nose.".....

A few days later, this is where I am....I feel like the car is where my original plans were leading me before before my numerous "sidetracks" and "styling experiments" temporarily played out...

here are some pics as of tonight,,,much yet to do,,but well on the way..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. You're crazy Jim but I like it.:D

3. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. sledish

sledish

Dude that works !!!

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jim, That's quite the eye you have. Sure seems to fit the shape of the rear of Telstar. Looking forward to more changes as you make them.

Dave

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

If that Ghia nose is straight and has no bog in it, you have pissd off some restorers i would say...Id also say that looks great!!

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks great Jim...go man go!!!! how many miles of welding wire you gonna have in that car??

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

that looks frikin awesome!! great idea!!

9. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

That flows very nicely. You could flow the tail light openings into the "mustache" areas of the Ghia.

10. I love it! i just wish this build had one thread from start to finish so i could subscribe to it.

11. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I like the comment "a few days later, this is where I am" You get more done In a few days than I do in a few months!

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

I wish I had an eye for shit like that! Good job!

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Love it! I looked at the pictures before I read the post and said that sure looks like a Ghia. Damn good to see the car coming back around. Keep it up man.

Are you still going to run those bumperettes you made?

14. Squablow

Squablow

The hood made for a nice pancake style trunk opening as well, I am curious to see it with the tail fins on.

So how did the roof off the Ghia fit? Don't even pretend like you didn't try it.

15. man, you cut up more cars than anyone i know. I like this design though, keep it up.

edit: can i pick through your cast-aways though? haha

16. cakes

cakes

that has awesome written all over it, already peaked too. I say keep those fins too, they look great

17. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

And they say quilting is dead

18. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

19. Damn right ! that flows great, the perfect Ass ! !

20. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Keep the nostril holes in the Ghia nose and fill them with custom tail lights.

That set on the left with both holes open is bitchin'.

Also, you do realize that you're gonna be dead before you get this car finished, right? ;)

Every change seems to help, but every change pushes the completion date another year down the road.

One more change I'd suggest is to move the rear of the cockpit area back about 8"-10", so that blank panel between the cockpit and the deck lid won't be so long and flat. It looks funny to me the way it is now.

Either that, of maybe if you wrapped a belt line type formed bead two or three inches wide down the door tops and then up and over that filler panel area it'd break it up some.

Maybe something else entirely.

I just know that the big flat panel you've got there now looks funny to me.

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

My god man,what planet does your mind come from? Talk about coming at a problem from a different angle, that looks bloody marvellous. For some reason it puts me in mind of the first Corvette rear ends.

Keep on keeping on
    Paul

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to tell what the finished result will look like, but I'd be afraid that if you don't fill the Ghia grill holes with metal, you'll still think "volkswagen" when you look at the rear of the car. Neat idea.

23. Instant pancaked decklid and rear panel. Smart thinking! I´m very impressed not only with how well that fills the hole, saves you a ton of work making a decklid, but that it really works with the styling. Triple win, with an extra thumbs up from me for added VW content! (Is the car OT now?:eek:) I hope your hood ornament/tailfin will be making an apprearance again.

24. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

25. No doubt where we do our best thinking! Great job man can't wait to see it come together.
    "Farfegnugen"

26. striper

striper

27. customcory

customcory

Somebody finally found a good use for a Karhmann Ghia hood! I would have never thought of that Jim. :D

28. Racrdad

Racrdad

That is right on Jim! Putting a frontend on the rear is definiately thinking outside of the box. Now please dont cut it off next week! :D

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that a lot, Very Kool! Please don't change it, that its purrfect.

Have a question for ya, for the guys that are coming to the LSR, is there a chance
    that we can see the car in person? If not no big deal....

Happy Trails, Mick

30. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the Ghia pieces on the Telestar........