Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TELSTAR,,a little off the top..trimming the fins a bit, , , ,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Barn-core

Barn-core

I love the new fin design, but now the tail lights look out of place to me. They protrude too far back, and look kind of like an after thought when compared to the rest of the car, like they were just stuck on there at the last minute. Speaking of Chris Craft, how bitchin' would it be if the dekclid area were varnished wood!

2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

got a little time in on her today,,,,working on the deck and the seat surrounds, , , and a pic of da scrap pile....:)

Attached Files:

3. Hey Jim you have a whole other car laying there on the floor.:D The car is looking great. Definitley one of THE most interesting builds on the HAMB. Keep it coming!!!

4. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

Have you ever thought of painting Telstar in three tone? I remember my dad driving, I think it was a 55 dodge lancer, That had your rose color on the bottom up to the side trim,then white from trim covering hood and trunk and then top black. Maybe three different tones of the rose
    seperated by trim that accents the shape of the trunk?

Doug

5. I was thinking the same thing!
    I´d like to see a very small peak on the decklid - sort of a mini fin in the middle.

6. twochops

twochops

Center fin could be chromed or molded in.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

7. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Kustom7777 are you keeping track of how many different makes and models have contributed pieces to the telstar? I bet it will be a big number and an interesting variety of pieces when all is said and done.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Man I like that!

Hey Jim, You had better buy stock in welding wire. Your going to have a couple of 50lb spools tied up in that thing when you get to welding it all up!

9. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Oh, and amazing project. Makes me sad my time is tied up with school. This looks like a lot more fun.

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

'50 ford (original car), '56 olds (wheel openings, quarters, cowl), '49/'50 pontiac (garnish molding grill shell, various trim pieces), '58 edsel (dash), '57studebaker (fins), '61 chrysler (steering wheel/column, '53 chevy (various sheetmetal curves, "56 lincoln (side pieces along the deck, various trim, '53 buick (headlights) '53 cadillac (some wild wheelcovers i'm working on), unknown '50s sports car (seats), , , ,and more to be determined at a later time. . . . ;)

11. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

a little more progress, , ,cut the other fin down,,,,it was really starting to annoy me to see one pointy fin and one rounded fin,,:D:D

Attached Files:

13. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Do you have any great tricks for getting both sides of the car the same? Other than magic?

Looks great.

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i mostly eyeball it and it usually comes up pretty close,,,might have to do a little tweaking sometimes, but i can usually tell when somethings a bit off by looking at it,,

15. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW...I can't believe this one splipped by.
    I like what you've done with the fins. :cool:

Just another step toward perfection, Jim!!

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    No need to cut up old fenders to produce the radius for the patches you need- Get some EMT of the o.d. that matches the inner fender flange radius, bend in a conduit bender (super easy to shape), fill with sand and cap ends. Form your strips over the bent emt with a slapper of body hammer, trim and weld into fender.

Hey, don't sweat the small details, I've been told that there are 4-6 million dollar Ferrari bodys that don't match side to side! Carrozzeria Scaglietti & Vignale (both big name Italian coachbuilders) were infamous for this!
    Lukeing pretty kool, Mr. Jimski!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

that's a great idea about how to form the wheel radius,,,,
    i can definitely use that idea too,,,,im gonna form something for the dash that this would work perfectly on,,

18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

pimpin paint, thanks I appreciate the tips I will be trying this out.

19. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

emt?

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I take the car outside where I can get back a distance. Then I set up a camera on a tripod, measure the distance and triangulate it from known points (like the center of the wheel), take a photo and then do the same on the other side setting the camera up with the same measurements. Then I flop and superimpose the image from one side onto the other side in Photoshop with the top image being set to 40 percent opacity or so (so you can see through it) and compare.

You can do the same with a straight-on shot of the front or back of the car by splitting the image down the middle, copying one half and pasting, flopping and superimposing one side over the other.

Make a few tweaks to the car, and take a new set of photos to see if you cured it.

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

something,,,,,metal tubing...i'm guessing

22. ELD

ELD

electrical medal tubing..conduit.

23. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

tail lights and the bumper on that thing are awesome

24. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

For the facebar (bumper) I'm seein a '52-'54 Ford Ft.facebar, foreshortened with filler pieces faired in, welded up and replated.

The taillamp lenses......I doe ...kno- Maybe Devo hats?

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " I liked the old millennium better!"

25. Crease

Crease

Good move, really flows nice....

26. JEPPA

JEPPA

Great work Jim! I think there has been a phenomenal change since I last saw the Telstar. I honestly couldn't see anything wrong with the fins until now. It looks so right!! The car has had many interesting vignettes and and now it is really becoming an amazing whole.

27. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I was over at a friend's place today digging through some car parts and the rounded fins on this old Dodge kinda reminded me of the new fin shape.

Attached Files:

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yeah, I have seriously lusted after those '61 Dodge quarters & tail lights, to say nothing of the faux louvers in the hood panel or the rectangle shapes stamped in the top panel on those Dodges! Jus' needs a radical sectioned kustom project to apply them to!

1960 &'61 Mopars WERE factory kustoms, but most of the pubilic jus' didn't get it!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " A legend in his own garage"

29. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

I would have never thought of that.