Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TELSTAR,,a little off the top..trimming the fins a bit, , , ,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Oct 23, 2009.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow nice work. I really dig the new fins.

2. My idea for the side panels. polished stainless, with blasted or etched stripes.

[​IMG]

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Now that is what I am talking about......................hell yeah!!!!!!!!

4. ELD

ELD

James D and Kustom7777 - Transcontinental Design - Fantastic Team!

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

looks great, but in my opinion which doesnt add up to much even to myself..:rolleyes: (since I rarely listen to myself)its missing something..that huge span of smooth metal is calling out for something to break it up on the ass end something from the seats down to the bumper in the middle,or maybe the fins closer to the cockpit.... maybe,ah dont listen to me.. Im still scratching my head over just trying to cut the firewall out of my shoebox anyway, its incredible how far this has gone, cant wait to see how much farther it will go!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i agree,,,and i have a couple of ideas i'm working on for that,,,,
    stay tuned, , , :);)

7. Thanks, but I can´t and wouldn´t take any design credit for any of this. It´s all Jims own ideas. He can be relied upon to better any of my suggestions!!:cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Perhaps a reverse crown swage line running from the panel you've created from those two fenders, and running through the centre of the Dutchman & Decklid panels, and faring into the Decklids' crown at the lower body panel? The pre-war frog coachbuilders were big on these and used them with much sucess on Delage & Delahaye vehicles that had this shape in the rear deck areas.

This would be a bitch to build, requiring a special die be turned for a beading/swaging machine to produce the part, plus letting in the bead/swageline centre of the Deck & Dutchman. It's doubtful you'd find anything you could use from existing vehicle panels lurking in your scrap collection, but nothing to be ruled out at this point. I'm thinkin' anything looking like a dorsal fin would turn the ass end of TELSTAR to cartoon fodder in short order, however.

Swanky Devils C.C.
    '' All to often, confidence is an artifact of ignorance ''

9. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

YES! One of the coolest Kustoms on the HAMB!
    love the new fins!
    FRITZ

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

worked on the "cockpit thingy",,lol,,,and couldn't resist posting an "artsy" profile pic,,:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This thing is unbelievable. Just amazing ...........can't wait to see more

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

JamesD,,,you're way too modest,,,,,;)
    you RULE man!:cool:

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks a lot, , ,got two detailing jobs at the shop tomorrow, so i'm not sure how much i'll be able to accomplsh on the car, but i'll definitely make at least SOME progress, , ,

14. twochops

twochops

Jim--Is that one of those "That was EASY" buttons from Staples
    on the dash?-------------TwoChops

Attached Files:

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

SHIT,,,,,they must have given me the wrong one,,,,mine says DIFFICULT :D;):D

16. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

Looking at your new avitar, it made me think of a Chris Craft in the way the back flows. Didn't they have some form of trim for the back, something subtle looking?

Doug

17. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Is that a pontiac hood trim mocked up as a console?

18. a bloke

a bloke

very cool car, it's neat you can change direction when you think you need to, and design 'on the fly'.
    thanks for all the pics of the project so far, i'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

good eye,,,,49/50 pontiac ;)

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i had the same thought,,,,,ive actually had the image of a speedboat in the back of mind throughout the entire build,,,the reshaping of the fins went a long way in achieving that shape,,,ill have to google chris craft,,i think you are right,,there was some sort op trim on the deck of those boats. . .

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Those fenders you cut up what were they???? and do you have the original wheel well pieces you cut from this car in the begining?

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

they are from a scrap shoebox fender,,,it went a long way though,,,got my headlights, the cockpit pieces, and the rolled pan from them,,,,

the wheelwell pieces i cut from the car are in a bunch of pieces,,when i spliced the new ones in, i had to slice the old ones into pieces,,,if they were any good, id be using them to complete the cockpit and cut down door edge,,,in fact, im looking for another set to cut up

23. You've already convinced me to clean out the garage a little so I can try and get involved in my Chevy, I've been gathering up parts for a long time, now I'm thinking about how I can change the headlights and grille like I had planned.

I have to think this car is going to make people stand there with their jaws touching their chest in awe when it's done.

By the way, what are those rear wheel arches... 56 Olds?

24. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i'm really glad i helped motivate you,,,,,,COOL
    i hope you follow through,,i'm having a blast....

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well I am wondering how close the wheel well openings are form the Fords - the Mercs of this era 49-51 because I am thinking of getting some Ford fenders to cut up to fix my Merc. The same with the rear wheel opening. I know the quarters and fenders are different but the wheel openings seem to be very close especially the rolled lip on them.

26. I figure I can't hurt this car any, some backyard Barris has already done a number on it with about every wrong way to do bodywork you can think of, there are patches welded, riveted and screwed on in places. Looks okay from 10 feet, get much closer and it's pretty scary.

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i would think they are close enough that you could make em work, , ,

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

do it ! ! !

29. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

heres a chris craft cobra,,
    always LOVED these boats!!

Attached Files:

30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

WOW!!!!!!!!!.........I could see this being towed behind your car.