Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tell me WHY this is going to kill me. UPDATE** Not going to die.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Dec 2, 2023.

1. The only thing that stands out to me is it appears the steering arm is below the scrub line, what happens if you have a front flat at speed? HRP

2. Tetanus

Tetanus

1935ply post nailed it

Ned Ludd likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If the box is ahead of the axle and the arm reversed it wont steer backwards. This is what I do on most builds where headers interfere. Moving the box ahead of the axle and reversing the pitman arm gives lots of clearance for the box and headers.

[​IMG]

4. Fordors

Fordors

There is no free lunch, now won’t you have to correct the Ackerman?

deathrowdave and jimmy six like this.
  5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That's not being a rebel ,that's being oblivious to reason !

cactus1 likes this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Why would that effect Ackerman , tie rod & steering arms aren't changed ?

Ned Ludd likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

That won’t be very pretty hanging below his 34 grille.

8. BJR

BJR

How can the OP mount the steering box in front of the axle if his steering arms are behind the axle?

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

You are correct, upon further review I see the tie rod is to the rear of the spindles.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Ok!

11. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

You asked about the geometry of the situation. It would be pretty easy to layout to scale to match what you have. The way I see it, as it turns right, the drag link will be pulling backwards at the same time the steering arm is wanting to go forward. Vice-versa for the other direction. The greater the angle, the greater this effect. As was mentioned; depending on the actual geometry, a full right hand turn could result in the steering arm and drag link being in line, trying to go over center. 53801208-EB43-4158-AAB2-2CE2CE823202.jpeg

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ And there it is, right there. In a left turn, the rate of motion at the steering arm end changes and the leverage changes at the steering arm making the steering feel strange. The same thing happens on a right turn but the leverage at the steering arm kind of normalizes while the rate of motion at the steering arm changes. Again making the steering feel strange. Worst case scenario, the drag link gets to a position where it could over-center.
    A few cars came through my shop with the drag link not parallel with the tie rod but none were that far off. An inch, maybe two out of line is tolerable but that far out I would have recommended a change.
    The project seems to be coming along nicely, do you have a build thread for it?

HotRodWorks, Pist-n-Broke and twenty8 like this.
  13. As mentioned, it is possible to get to an over center between the arm and rod. That I suppose can be eliminated by a properly positioned turn stop on each side. Not defending what is there, just saying.

flthd31 and HotRodWorks like this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

15. Just bend an L shaped steering arm

IMG_5548.jpeg :)
    :)

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

^^^^^your killing me smalls:D

anthony myrick likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not that far from reality. I had a CJ5 one time that had a steering box change of some sort. The Pittman arm was way short, so they bent the drag link into a sorta lazy backwards"Z" shape. Both ends were parallel and level, it just curved in the middle to make up the difference in space. Never drove it on the road, so I can't say how it did at highway speeds, but it worked fine off road woods riding.....

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. twenty8

twenty8

Half of us are laughing, but I can hear the other half thinking "Mmmm, that might just work....":confused:o_O

Nostrebor, Happydaze, Dan Hay and 7 others like this.
  19. The simple answer is "because."

Memories of childhood conversations.
    "Why can't I do that?"
    "Because."
    "Because why?"
    "Just because."

20. I wonder if this is why Nascar only turns Left? A minor mistake and they chose not to change it.

CSPIDY and patsurf like this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No. Ackerman has nothing to do with pitman arm direction, or the drag link. My tiee rod is still in the rear normal location, and it's what affects Ackerman angles.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just like anyone does. You move the steering box and drag link to the front side, and leave the tie rod at the rear. It only requires a second arm on the off side spindle to attach the drag link to. Done this many times, and I like it much better than behind the axle.

patsurf likes this.
  23. Fordors

Fordors

What confused me was when I looked at the photo you posted I focused on the flat steel, bolt on arm thinking you had put the tie rod in front. Had I looked to the left of the tarp in the photo I would have seen the tie rod. But regardless, is that a viable solution for a transverse sprung ‘32 frame like the OP is building?

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have the same setup. In order to keep the 40 box where I want it and run the caddy engine where I want it, This is the angle on my coupe. It works not only great, but AWESOME. My coupe will out corner a damn Porsche and is super easy to drive. No bump steer or anything. 10 years now and I hammer the piss out of this car when I drive.
    @flamedabone
    IMG_0095.jpeg

wlt.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I see no reason the transverse spring would change whether the wheels could be moved from the front side of the axle, and not the rear? I did this for a friend's '35 Plymouth that was a chrome tube axle, (once transverse spring) that I converted to coilovers.
    The drag link and steering box up front still gets things away from the engine and the headers, and will work. The only issue would be if his car was open fenders and he didn't like seeing the steering box out front.

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, not possible. That should have killed you 10 years ago! ;)

In the end, it most likely would have been fine, but I would have hated to change it after the car was done. I have some new U-bends, I'm gonna move the box and build a new header this weekend. Not a huge deal.

Thanks, guys.

-Abone.

27. If you draw a line from the centerline of the kingpin on the right side, through the tie rod end, another line through both tie rod ends, and then another line through both the sector shaft end of the pitman arm and the tie rod end of the pitman arm... you'll see your working angles. Basically the spindle is a first class lever that is actuated by a rod. The most efficient action on a first class lever by the rod is 90 degrees. As the lever moves about the fulcrum (the king pin), this working angle gets greater or lesser. As this angle approaches 180 degrees, it becomes less efficient... i.e. requires more effort and produces less movement.
    If it approaches 180 degrees it may experience an "over center" situation... by actually going over center, or not actually going over center. (I've seen this on throttle linkages before. Yikes!)

So there's that.

Sam

28. patsurf

patsurf

nice concise explanation

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  29. twenty8

twenty8

See the bit I have highlited at the beginning.
    The whole thing is a very good guide for everyone........;)

Attached Files:

Cgrgrspt10 likes this.
  30. Fordors

Fordors

My comment had nothing to do with a steering box in front of the axle not working. I don’t think there would be enough clearance for the extended shaft to pass through the axle/spring area of the typical dropped axle ‘32 frame like the OP is using and the inward taper of the frame horn is a factor too, let alone being odd looking as you said. For sure your solution works, but not for the OP’s car.