Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tell me...Did I score, or DID I SCORE???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ironhunter

ironhunter

Yep, thats a real live 6-71 GMC huffy!

With scrap cars hitting $100 a ton last week, I've been moving some crap out of here. Hauled a 6200 lb load ot last Friday and a 7800 lb load today. Good thing about all this is, there are cars and trucks comin out of the woodwork! The local recycler is swamped and stacking them 4 high, and I been finding some good deals on some goodies.

Today, I pulled this new polished Holley and air cleaner off a 70's Farmall truck. Dude thought he had a bad carb and put this brand new one on it. Found out then he had a bad cam and scrapped the truck. The carb abd air cleaner was mine for $20.

Then, I spied a 73 Chevy cabover with a V6 Detroit in it and asked about the huffer. Sure, Bob says, pull it and you can have it for $35. Yep, fellers, there aint no zeroes on that. $55 for what you see in the pics, not counting the drive pieces that I needed for the blower...got those too.

When I popped the top on the huffer, there aint a scratch or score or a piece of bugshit on those rotors. It's as good as a new one inside, just needs a good bead-blast and freshening up.

Who says all the good stuff is gone?!

Attached Files:

2. nice score...congrats.

3. If it had a V6 I think it's a 6V71. It shure looks like one. If you build it I'd like to know if 671 hop-up shit fits on the V-series. Somebody said it's just got a different case but I'm wondering if bearings, covers, etc are the same?

4. ironhunter

ironhunter

Yep, it is a 6V. You know, thats a good point. I thought it looked different than my 6-71 I had 15 years ago. I'll have to do a bit of checking. The one I had before came off an inline 6 and looked a lot different. From what I can tell, the carb adapters are the same, but you got me wondering about the end plates and drive...
    Time to do a bit of investimigation :)

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, it is now, you got the last two pieces.

6. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I know theres a guy on ebay popping out some 6v71 and 8v71 end plates that are finned. Im not sure how hard it would be to find a drive setup. But from what I have read the cases are bigger (more oval) on the V series and the part that mates to the intake is different. A guy on ebay also makes conversion plates for the bottom. Damn good find though. That carb has gotta be worth more than $20 :D

7. williebill

williebill

I called Bob,told him you screwed him..
    He said you don't get shit anymore...
    Haul some of those heavy ass Buicks and nailheads in for scrap,that'll be some real money...
    You should come back to the nailhead board,I think Paul is missing you....

8. Flatman

Flatman

I have a couple of 6V-71 blowers myself. I've been looking around to see if anyone makes manifols to mount them, no luck so far. Most set ups I've seen with these blowers involve a modified square bore 4 BBL manifold with the blower mounted on a 3/4" thick aluminum plate. I guess all the air is supposed to funnel down the center. The mounting bolts must be angled and you have to have a blow off built in the manifold.
    I may have a line on bearings, gaskets, and seals for 6V-71 very soon. I also have a matched pair of brand new rotors, if anyone's interested:D
    Congrats on the score, the carb find is unbelievable!!

Flatman

9. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

If you are feeling guilty I will buy the carb and aircleaner. Otherwise good score!
    Bill

10. ironhunter

ironhunter

This one bolts to the intake with four 7/16 bolts straight through and perpendicular to the intake. The end plates bolt on with 6 bolts and two dowel pins, as opposed to the 6-71's ten bolts. I can make everything to mount and drive this one on a Nailhead. Yeah, it's not the one that all the aftermarket goodies will bolt on to, but I'm still satisfied with the price.

So far this week, I've hauled 14 1/2 tons of cars. All big Buicks except for a 66 Rambler, a 56 Caddy Fleetwood, and a S-10 Blazer. $100 a ton makes it a bit more fun to move some of this stuff off my farm. Not so hard to see it go.

11. So....I snoozed too long on the Rambler eh?
    DAMN!!
    Oh well.
    Anything left on the back forty or did you pretty much clean it out?

12. '56 Caddy aught to have single parts on it that would bring as much as the whole car as scrap, unless someone rolled it down a hill side over side first.

There's stainless side trim pieces on some of these cars I've sold for crazy money, I got $220 for a couple of '58 Plymouth pieces last month and one was a little bent up.

13. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

14. bogey

bogey

If it was a v series that blower looks like it was from a 92 series motor different from a 71 series which we are all used to (92 cubic inches per cylinder vs. 71 cubes)

15. Flatman

Flatman

The 6V-92 blower uses a bypass as these were used on Detroit Diesels equipped with a turbocharger on top of them. The bypass was because when the turbo got up to speed, the blower would actually slow down the incoming air. The Silver 92 was electronically governed, so the one end plate is different from the 6V-71 as well.

Flatman

16. that totaly look like a 6 or 8v92 blower witch to car guy is prity much usless one way you can tell the giant govener on the end of the blower and the fact it has no flange on the botom side like a 6-71 would have 6v71 now thats acompleatly difrent story and if im not mistaken the 92 serise is the only ones to have the govener on the blower all the others have them on the right side of the block behind the thrmostat (right sid looking at the front of the engine)

17. im wrong i just looked at one of the 12v71 in the yard and it has a smaller govener on the front of the blower

18. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

That blower looks like a 6-53 to me if it has 2 lobe rotors (-71 series have twisted 3 lobe rotors) it is a -53 and there are no hop up parts for em. I havve been trying to figure out how to make one work because there are no bearing to speak of in em they have bushings and run on a layer of oil so you will have to plumb a oil source to the plates. But for what you have into it You can experiment with it.

Dawg

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Looks like a 53 series to me too.
    71's are more round at to top.

Josh

20. Yeah, 6-53. Yours looks like big brother to my 4-53.

21. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Here is a picture of my 6-71. bolts to the manifold at the bottom
    also here is a picture of a 8V71 blower look at the mounts on the side of the case. The 6-71 is the one on the manifold.

Dawg

Attached Files:

22. ironhunter

ironhunter

56 Caddy was stripped of anything anybody had wanted up to this point. I had tried to sell all I was going to try. The car was here for 2 1/2 years and everyone on Ebay and the HAMB was told about it or had the opportunity to buy anything on it for cheap. After that amount of time, I was tired of looking at it. :)

23. ironhunter

ironhunter

Yeah...I guess so. It sat there too long man. I even sold the 66 Olds Dynamic 88 ragtop. About all that's left now (other than four or five 64 full-size Buicks) is a 41 Dodge, 56 Special, 60 LeSabre (probably gonna go in the next couple days), and a 64 Skylark.
    The stuff is rusting away and I might as well get something out of it while the price is good. I always said I wouldn't do it, but I'm deciding that if I live to be 100 I'll never finish all the toys I want to build.
    ray

24. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

where are you taking these cars? i have one i need to get rid of.....

any chance you still have that cowl i was gonna get from you?