Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tell me about the C3B or C3BX manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

If its a valuable vintage factory aluminum intake I wouldn't cut it due to it would kill the value,if its a current aftermarket intake I would start with a cut similar to what edelbrock did from the factory,but I've seen intakes where guys nearly cut the whole divider out.If its a small engine such as a 289,302 or 318 I would keep the cut small if I made it at all,too big a cut will negate the dual plane properties of the intake,essentially turning it into a single plane with long bendy runners.

Atwater Mike and 1Nimrod like this.
  2. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Post pictures so we can see the difference if any.

1Nimrod

3. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

What do you mean by "Welded a Wiggle" in the oil fill tube? I don't see any thing different in the picture?

1Nimrod

4. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Did your Eddy have the coil mount studs?

1Nimrod

5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Your Eddy "C3BX" has the runner on the driver's side and has the longer dog leg runner in front and back. This is more like the original C4B style. The only thing I can figure out is that some early C3B & for some reason some C3BX used the "OLD C4B" molds but have the C3B and C3BX name cast into them. This is one of those strange things that happened and I can't understand why Edelbrock used the "Older C4B" out dated mold for the "NEW C3B" and especially on the "Newer Improved C3BX" model that came out many years later then the C4B and a few years later then the C3B? I'm stumped...

Pictures...
    Your C3BX #1
    The Original C4B #2
    A C3BX #3

Can you see how your #1 C3BX looks just like the early C4B #2 ?
    See how they are different compared to the #3 C3BX that more resembles the GM Z/28 & LT1 intake manifolds ??

The #2 C4B, & #1 C3BX intake manifolds have the "driver side" long dog leg runner in front of the Carb mounting pad and in back of the Carb mounting pad.

Where as the #3 C3BX has the shorter type Runner's on the "passenger side" front of the carb mounting pad and in the back of the carb mounting pad.

This type #3 C3BX looks more like the GM Z/28 & LT1 intake manifolds and are much more efficient than the early type #2 C4B and the #1 C3BX intake manifolds.
    Bcuz the #3 C3BX Runner's are more centered and the Runner's are closer to the same length.

Hope this helps people to see the "Biggest Difference" in the #1 & #2 compared to the #3 intake manifolds.

1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  6. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

You lose some lower RPM but gain some RPM's on top speed.

1Nimrod

7. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Your Eddy C3BX is like mine except I have "Coil" mount studs provision on my Eddy C3BX. Nice manifold you picked up like new... I like it...

1Nimod

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  8. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Mick51 on the HAMB has a Edelbrock C4B for sale. This date.

1Nimrod

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  9. I don't have a better picture, but I'm sure you have noticed that the oil fill tube will contact the upper radiator hose on some of these manifolds. I simply cut an angle in the tube below the hose and welded in a short section moving the tube away from the hose.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Okay I understand now. I believe that's why Eddy had different positions for the Oil Fill Tube that they offered year's ago. I've seen three different angles that we're offered on the Eddy's C4B,C3B and C3BX Oil Fill Tube. I've had several Eddy's over the years and I was very thankful when I found one for sale here on the HAMB about a year ago and was able to pick it up at a very fair price. Many good buys offered here on the HAMB for car parts and engine parts. You just have to be patient and keep looking I'm just now getting into the #740 page and it has taken me some time to do that but it has paid off with some good parts for my 63 C10 Truck build.

1Nimrod

11. Found this thread searching for some info.. I have a C4B with oil fill to the passenger side. Traded a C3BX for this one, the other manifold had a crack in one of the small heater hose fittings, but the guy really wanted it and had the C4 to trade straight up. has no cracks, only mods I see is that there is some clearance made for a HEI distributor. Intersting to see the passenger side oil fill.. most C4Bs have it to the driver side and not the 4 hole carb mount.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The 4 hole C4B’s are the early ones. Here’s a later one

CA33C5A2-2797-4BF9-AE0D-2079896E0B0D.jpeg

1Nimrod, Truckdoctor Andy and -Brent- like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here’s a 4 hole C4B with a drivers side leaning oil fill

5952821C-DB45-4CD6-9ACD-6F3100801FE1.jpeg

15. Those old manifolds are so cool. I have a very soft spot for old vintage Chevrolet intake manifolds. I realize there are probably newer designs that MIGHT work better, but these old ones look so cool. I have an old Edelbrock Torker that was a gift from a dear friend and would be very cool on a nice, high rpm 327. Please keep the pictures coming.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. for some reason I can't quote a previous post but the C4B I have is going on top of my 327 build. It will be going into a 56 Nomad. My goal for this build was to create a 60's vintage look in the engine bay. My dad had a 56 Nomad in the mid 60s in high school, couldn't afford the "new" engine back then. I have a 66 327/300, 2.02 462 heads. will be running ram horns, vintage valve covers. etc. The carburetor is brand new, but holley is holley.

Bought the engine with a set of 9 fin valve covers and matching oil pan. had a C3BX on it but had a couple cracks on the heater hose threaded connections. hopefully can restore the valve covers or find a set of Cal custom 6 fin

Will I be able to run the oil separator can under the intake with this intake? Plan to keep the original crankcase vent setup.. Either vented oil fill cap, or reverse it to draw air through the rear and PCV on sealed oil fill..

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sure you can. back when these manifolds were new, all sbc's had em.......

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Nice... My set up for my 63 C10 is similar to what you want to do with your engine. I had GM snowflake intake manifolds year's ago but the price on those now are out of sight for me $$ I remembered the Eddy C3B (I had one years ago) and started looking for one and found it here in the HAMB Part's for Sale section. I see your Eddy was shaved on the back runner like most have been in the past from someone making clearance for the GM HEI distributor. It seems the popularity of the old Eddy's C4B and C3B C3BX are starting to pick back up again.
    They have always been one of my favorite for the SBC.
    Good luck on your build it sounds like your going to have a nice engine and Hot Rod when you are done.

From 1Nimrod

19. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Those Old Aluminum 9 fin Valve Covers on that engine you have just might be Cal-Custom?
    I've seen many on the Parts for Sale here on the HAMB over the years and most owners trying to sell them say they are Cal-Custom.
    Maybe one of the other members can tell you for sure?
    I hope they are bcuz they are a very nice set of valve covers.

From 1Nimrod

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say, they are Cal Custom. This pair are stamped that on the underside: 2F7D55CC-91A7-4178-805D-1AD141C23D2E.jpeg

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Did that first C4B intake manifold you showed have nitrous on it at one time? I see it has plugs in the top front and back runner's ?

Thank you for your help...

1Nimrod

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think so. I think they may have been vacuum ports at one time

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Here is a picture of the "wiggle" I put in the oil fill tube on a C4B to clear a high mount alternator; I also had to change the one on my C3B and the alternator is on the other side; seems there is no winning.
    IMG_20201015_135849_3 (Medium).jpg

1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.
  24. This is the same manifold I have.

[​IMG]

And this is my oil fill tube.
    DSCN3247.JPG

RICH B, 1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.
  25. golfnorby

golfnorby
    from mn

Will a Quadra Jet fit the C3B?

26. golfnorby

golfnorby
    from mn

Sorry, I know this is an old post but hopefully you guys can answer. Will a Quadra Jet spreadbore carb fit on the C3B? Also, are the C3B intakes aluminum? Kind of like the oil filler tube. I see Edelbrock makes an aluminum 2703 with the filler tube but its a square bore and I want to bolt the quadra jet on mine.

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only way a Quadrajet is bolting on a C3B is with an adapter. All Edelbrock intakes are aluminum.

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, they're all aluminum. No, a Quadrajet will not bolt to it directly.

bowie likes this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

You'll need one of these that's open.

QJet Adapter.png

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Quadrajet-Carb-Adapter-Open-Center,66.html

427 sleeper and bowie like this.
  30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

C3BX 2.JPG

My C3BX. It's currently on a 305" with a Holley 570 CFM Street Avenger in my '36 Ford pickup. It runs pretty good for what it is.

Gary

427 sleeper likes this.