Register now to get rid of these ads!

teenager fixing up her first car, needs help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madiketch, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Madiketch

Madiketch

I recently bought a baby blue 1962 Ford Falcon, 4 door sedan, 6 cyl automatic transmission. I planned to work on it to be my daily driver (it's my first car, I am just about ready to get my license in March) but it's quickly becoming more of a project for my dad and I since there have been complications we hadn't found when we bought it, such as manifold exhaust leakage, the dashboard isn't working except for the gas gauge, radio won't work, turn signals won't work, brake lights won't work, mouse nest in speaker, and the driver's side of the front bench seat sags uncomfortably. There's a blanket over the front bottom half of the bench right now because the upholstery is ripped up. But as far as I can tell the engine is doing well. She starts up cold start every time. The hardest part is, it seems as if nobody has this car! Searching in books and online, I can't find anything on the 1962 4 door sedan. It's crazy how little info I can find. Can anybody help me with info on this car? Which years have interchangeable parts with the 62, where can I buy parts, manuals, books, tips? Can anybody give me their ideas on what the problems I listed may be or how to troubleshoot? If there's someone out there who knows a lot about this I'd love to talk to you. This is my first time working on a project like this and I don't want to let my dad down! And one more, where can I find the VIN plate? Thanks guys! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Cool! If I were you, I would purchase a service manual first and foremost. Just google "1962 Ford Falcon Service Manual" and get one. Read it, and dive in!

Also, you may want to buy a Digital Volt Ohmmeter (DVOM) and troubleshoot your electrical problems you mentioned. The manuals will have wiring diagrams in them. Electrical can get complicated, so take it slow and ask lots of questions.

Best of luck to you!

3. exhaust leaks are easy, but can seem time consuming and hard when you are inexperienced. I'd be willing to bet that most everything electrical is a fairly easy fix as long as the wiring harness isn't hacked up. The electrical systems on those 60's fords are vary basic. Get a service manual, it will contain the wiring diagrams you need. Does your dad have a voltmeter and know how to use it properly?

here is a link to a manual
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1961-1...anuals_Literature&hash=item257744c088&vxp=mtr

4. RatPin

RatPin

Welcome and don't let these issues deter you. Learning your way around a automobile will give you a huge leg up throughout life.

Not an expert on Fords by any means, but it sounds like the typical project car. Let's just hope you only paid a project price.

I'm sure there will be a falcon guy or 10 come along any second with all the answers you are looking for.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If there's mice nests in the speaker and wiring issues id bet the mice ate coatings and or wires.
    you might be looking at a lot of chasing, or might want to just start over and rewire the whole car. seems old vehicles, everyone wants to add their touch to the wiring, sometimes it gets to be too many.

6. Snoop around these sites:

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/1962+ford+falcon.html

http://www.falconparts.com/ (I see this one has a shop manual)

It's not a local parts store for you but they should have some things you may need.

Funny, most things that aren't working on your car are exactly the same things that didn't work on my '63 Comet wagon when I bought it in high school. The only gauge that DID was the gas gauge.

Anyway, not trying to be an ass but have you checked the bulbs to see if they are burned out? I'd be kinda surprised if cleaning up the light sockets/grounds didn't help you with a few of them. The electrical on them isn't rocket science so like fsae0607 said just take it slow and easy, you'll get it figured. A meter or even a test light will help you heaps.

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions.

7. Also, your fuses are on the top of your headlight switch... Theres only a few, Check them out.

8. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Mac's or Ecklers Ford parts will have most of the parts. Also keep an eye out for local swap meets, there a great place to find parts and sometimes knowledge.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. Madiketch

Madiketch

I just ordered the service manual, that should help alot! I don't mind saying we payed 1900 for it, and that price included another engine, a front fender, steering wheel, spare tire, rear axle, a back bubble window, and a box of misc. parts. All of the stuff that came with the car were falcon parts. The guy just wanted to get rid of it all. And as for the DVOM, if he doesn't have one my grandfather or two uncles or boyfriend's father should have one. I am surrounded by gear-heads.

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

cool! i too am a teenager fixing up my first car:D

11. You'll have it fixed up in no time.

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the car runs down the road good and it's not too rusted, you're in good shape. All these other little issues can be dealt with without too much problem or expense. As others said, do some of your own research and learn...if us dummies can do it, so can you...lol. Don't be afraid to start a thread for each issue as you get into them...plenty of smart dummies here that'll be happy to help and make suggestions.

The seat: Sounds like you've got broken seat springs in addition to the ripped up uhholstery. Pull the seat out of the car...there are 4 nuts under the car to disconnnect the seat from the floor...they're about even with each corner of the seat. Once the seat is out, flip it over and inspect the springs. Replace as necessary. I've "fixed" rattty seat upholster with added padding and duct tape. It lasted for a while. Maybe a cheap seat cover too.

While you're at it, pull out the rear seat too. No nuts or bolts involved there. Then you'll have access to clean 50 years of crud. Don't forget to look for lost change...lol.

Welcome to the Hamb. Lots of luck to you.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take your time, and do your research. There is nothing on this car you can't fix, in time. It takes patience. Ask questions, liberally. I love old Falcons. I came home from the hospital, shortly after my birth in a blue '63 4-door (still in the family). I headed out this weekend to look at a '60, and maybe get back in the Falcon game!

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, then you really won't have much trouble at all. Have fun!

16. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

As long as you show up, take interest and keep with it, you won't let him down. Remember this is supposed to be fun.

17. with all those gear-heads around you for guidance you'll have it figured out soon. also try using the search function on the main board. alot of times the questions you have, have already been asked and answered. there will also be a lot of info you will stumble on that will answer questions you haven't even asked yet

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Falcons are a good car to start with. Much of the "guts" from the Falcon went on to become the early Mustang. A fair quantity of parts interchange. Your Falcon can benefit from the vast aftermarket for the Mustang.

19. Diavolo

Diavolo

Grats on the car. The only other advice I would suggest is to just work on one thing at a time, finish fixing it and put it together "right" before moving to the next thing that needs fixing. My order of fixing things is:

1. It has to stop.
    2. It has to start.
    3. Functional electric (charging system, ignition then lights).
    4. Mechanical (wheel bearings, driveline, steering, etc.)
    5. Non-vital mechanical (exhaust leaks, wonky door alignment, broken window cranks, sticking latches, etc.

Good luck!

20. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I'll chime in, because one day I hope my little girl does something like this too.

Make a list of what it needs and then break each item out into actual tasks. TAKE YOUR TIME, and don't get frustrated.

There's NOTHING better than being able to roll down the road with this in your heart:

"got it for a song, did it all myself"

The core skills you learn here will apply down the road, in college, career, life. Just awesome.

21. Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You've got a good start. But seeing all your electrical problems, plus the evidence of mouse infestation, If you cannot fix the electrical gremlins with a fuse or bulb replacement, I'd suggest rewiring the whole car.
    Yeah, I know it sounds drastic, but if you had mice, they love chewing the insulation off wiring. If a few circuits are affected, that you know of, there may be more problems hidden, which can lead to future problems, not the least of which is the wiring burning up your car! Wiring is nothing to be trifled with!
    And as weird as it may sound, a lot of times it is actually faster, and easier to rip out an entire harness, and carefully replace it, than to troubleshoot, trace wires, repair wires, clean connections, re-wrap the wiring when done, and do it over and over for each problem you find.
    And the car is safer and more reliable in the end.

23. exterminator

exterminator

If you can ,consider taking auto shop.Maybe your boyfriend will take it with you.

24. mow too much

mow too much

Like said above, make a list and work one thing at a time, I have seen people lose interest in a project because they became overwhelmed looking at the overall project.
    Have fun with your dad.

25. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Good luck. rockauto.com has some stuff including a wiring manual for $8.12. Here's a link

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?ck[PHPSESSID]=2mnl3lgqqj9cv4cjqihnrhjvj0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=2mnl3lgqqj9cv4cjqihnrhjvj0

Love the little Falcons, have fun!

26. I just realized I gotta' extra:

[​IMG]

PM me 'an we'll figure somthin' out.

Here's what a data/VIN plate looks like:

[​IMG]

27. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

I also have a 62 Falcon four door, love it! These are simple cars and will be a great project for you and your dad.

28. MAN! what's up with all these teenagers? there's a bunch more i hang out with on here! but i had no clue there was this many!:D:D

anyway, welcome to the board! im rodding out a 59 ford pickup. nice to have a few more guys (and gals) our age to talk to.

29. spiders web

spiders web

I have three daughters and all of them help in the garage. They each have an old car and its great bonding time. Many of the parts you need can be had at your local napa store if the counter guy will get out the books. The NAPA parts will be cheaper than some of the cataloge prices. Make sure you replace the rubber products to be safe(ie.brake cylinders, brake hoses, master cylinder). Most of all have fun!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I have alot of old ford parts books so if you need a part number let me know.