Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Technical

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by one37tudor, May 22, 2014.

1. one37tudor

one37tudor

Can anyone tell me what the torque number is to crush a pinion sleeve on a 9" ford.
    I have the pre-load inch pound value but can't find anything about the crush sleeve?

Thanks,
    Scott...

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

If its a crush sleeve system you slowly turn the nut to crush the sleeve,
    Once all free travel is taken up , turn the nut in very small increments testing each time the amount of force it takes to turn the pinion with your inch lb torque wrench
    You need a beam type and the best is one with a range of 1 to 25 inch lbs

3. 300+ to get the sleeve to start crushing.

Crush the sleeve until you reach your pre-load inch pound value.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a solid sleeve instead of the crush collar. Just had to add or subtract shims until the proper pre-load was met.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. you just creep up on it untill the preload is achieved go slow and do it right

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Creeping is an operative word. Those things are a pain to start crushing! That said, pinion drag is the way to adjust it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

If I use a crush sleeve, I'll put the whole pinion assembly in the press to get started with the crushing...but don't go too far, or you'll need another new crush sleeve.

8. jazz1

jazz1

I watched a mechanic do this as I did not want to muck it up,,it prompted me to get this small 1/4" torque wrench on eBay for cheap. Never seen one like it image.jpg