Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Technical question about Caddy 365 to 700R4 transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, May 8, 2017.

1. logic2

logic2

I have read several posts about this transmission upgrade and want to rebuild my #'s matching 365 and mate it up to a more reliable transmission since my tranny also needs rebuilt, in this case either a 700R4 or 4L60e.

--> I know adapter kits are available for this upgrade that allow for a new flex plate, starter mount, bell housing, etc...

I have not seen the following subjects addressed:

1.) Torque Converter
    I assume since the old Jetaway Hydra does not use a typical TC, I need to buy a TC with the same spline as the Tranny output shaft but what stall is suggested ? (non ac / moderate cam)

2.) Lockup Solenoid
    How do I handle the lockup solenoid and what function does it actually perform ?
    Do I really need one and can it ruin the tranny if I run without it ?

3.) If I choose to go with a 4L60e behind the old 365, how do I handle the electronic shifting of the tranny ? How does the tranny know when to shift if I do not have ECM monitoring the RMP & MPH, etc.. ?

4.) Tranny Crossmember
    Does either of these trannys work with the original x-member/mount ?
    I assume that I'll have to fabricate my own, but thought it never hurts to ask since I did not see it mentioned in any of the threads

5.) Does the tranny fit under the hump (is there clearance or does it require cutting) ?
    If it requires cutting the caddy floor, I may pass on this upgrade, as this car is too nice and original.

6.) Anything else I forgot about this swap (if I do it) ?

Thanks for any info !

Mike

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. The torque converter needs to match the transmission, and other vehicle/engine parameters.

2. Run 12V+ ignition switch controlled power through the switch on the 4th gear switch, then through the torque converter control solenoid (TCC), and then to ground. Then it locks automatically in 4th gear. You can run without it, but you are just avoiding simple wiring, in exchange for lower fuel mileage, and a hotter running transmission.

3. The 4l60E requires a computer, either OEM or aftermarket.

4. You will have to modify of fabricate.

5. I believe it will.

6. TV cable. You need to Google and learn everything you can about the importance of the TV cable on a GM 4-speed overdrive automatic, or this adventure might end in tears.

7. Make sure you price out the adapter before starting this project. Some transmission adapters are alarmingly expensive.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    logic2 and Hnstray like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER