Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical technical gas smell

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by studebaker46, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gas was almost free then.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Gas cost a a chunk of money back then, just like it does today. It really hasn't changed much.

Most carbs work surprisingly well at different elevations, without any tinkering. The carburetor is an amazing device. But you have to be able to put up with it's limitations. Like everyone did, for most of a century.

3. Joe H

Joe H

My uncle drove his 1911 Stanley Steamer to the top of Pikes Peak without stopping to tune, and it runs on unleaded gas, does that count?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pops took the whole family out to Pikes Peak, about 1970, I remember watching the line of cars snaking to the top. Just about every one had a thin stream of gas dribbling constantly out of the tailpipe, at the time thought maybe it was water.

Nope. Power valves in carburetors setup for flatland use don't work well at altitude, it's not just jetting to worry about. But I've driven many times from 700' ASL where I live to well over 10k with no adjustments and ran "OK".

Keep in mind though, the reverse is not so true. If someone living in Leadville has their carbureted engine really optomized for high altitude and they drive to a lower elevation it will likely cause engine damage.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. blazedogs

blazedogs

For us novice guys building our own car, SBC 29 Coupe . I would like to fabricate a home made charcoal canister vapor set up from parts maybe acquired at the local junk yard. That way the job is done and I don't have to back up .Getting real close now at being done and would like to add this before I'm done.
    (How about a easy to do and understand) ( diagram)

Thanks Much !! Gene

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Gene, I would not use salvage yard parts. Canisters get saturated with fuel and left open to other elements. They are inexpensive as are the other components. I use GM parts because I spent a lot of time in GM dealerships and know the parts and how they perform. New stuff, 90's and up won't work because the canisters are controlled electronically thru the Ecm. Let me know what engine you are using, intake manifold, carb and valve covers. Location of vent tube on fuel tank and the most difficult element is the fuel cap. Each set up is unique so a one size fits all is not in the cards.