Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *Tech Week* twin plug

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutrocker, Feb 5, 2014.

1. I'm with Dean, well done!!!

2. Bump for some great tech

BJR likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

From long ago.

4. Tired of the "show us your........" threads

Outback, HotRodWorks, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  5. we need a tech week.

nunattax, Blues4U and Happydaze like this.
  6. Yup, that is what I was thinking. @Ryan , tech week time? Been a while

BJR likes this.
  7. grumpy65

grumpy65

I vote ' YES'.

8. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

bump for tech week voting

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Look at the date on the original thread

303racer and BJR like this.
  10. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I know. I commented when it was fresh. I was suggesting a vote to get tech week going..

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  11. atch

atch

tman,

Thanx for bringing this back up. I remember it from when it was new but reread the whole thing this morning. Insanely interesting tech. I wish I had half as much talent in my whole body as some folks on here have in their pinkie finger.

12. Damn Trent, I forgot about this one thanks for reminding me of it a great piece of tech........

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

14. 303racer

303racer

Way back, when things were simpler

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Wonder if it ever made it to the dyno ?

loudbang likes this.
  16. nutrocker

nutrocker

Yes, I ran it in the rolling road. From what I can remember it made good hp.
    The motor was a stock 255ci fitted with the twin plug heads, 270f cam with .395” lift, triple 1-3/4” SU carbs, stepped exhaust and electronic ignition with programmable advance curve. From memory it made 147 hp at the flywheel. I will see if I can find the printouts later.

belair, loudbang, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  17. Thats great.
    Wondering what the change from stock was. ?

loudbang likes this.
  18. nutrocker

nutrocker

with the motor as above except for the cam and heads was 113hp. So cam and heads added 34 hp. How much was cam and how much was heads I don’t know. But for a stock 255 with just some bolt on go faster bits it wasn’t too bad.

19. So many great tech threads that get buried deep in the archives that should be revived.

20. 7BA9DDA5-0928-4692-BA72-2387776B3B95.jpeg Gr8 planning and even gr8er if not spectacular MACHINE workmanship,BUT, correct if I am wrong; the main or sole purpose for having dual plugs is to “fire” or “ignite” any and all remaining fuel that was left over or did NOT get totally burned by the first plug!! Right or Wrong?? Looks like a lot of work and prep that will make little difference in the outcome of the cool flathead. I am not trying to bash your beautiful machine work, just wondering what effect(if any) dual plugs on a Flatmotor will show??

juan motime and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Pete, I just discovered this thread. Great work, truly innovative. To comment on Flatheadjohn47's question there is more to it than just two sources of ignition to complete combustion. Twin sparks allow one to increase the burn rate of the charge, to reduce total ignition lead, and thus reduce the "negative work" done by having to ignite the charge against a rising piston.
    I do like the fact that with two separate distributors there is the opportunity to stagger the timing. Perhaps one needs more advance than the other? Have you tinkered with varying the timing between the two Pete?

loudbang, fauj and Tman like this.
  22. Pete, thanks for answering my question concerning the dual spark plugs on the cool flathead.

fauj likes this.
  23. nutrocker

nutrocker

I did say right at the beginning of this thread that the usual costs involved far outweigh any gains, and it’s for that reason I did my own, well that and I don’t have the money anyway.
    What the twin plugs did do though is smooth out a very lumpy idle.

24. belair

belair

Great thread, thanks for answering all the questions we have. Awesome work.

25. The satisfaction here is in the doing, I believe, not in the performance gains, however nice that becomes. And knowing the modifications have worked to improve things is nice as well.
    But enjoying the journey for some is far more important, at least when you have the time.

nutrocker likes this.