Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech week submission Old tech, new use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Streetwerkz, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

For my 30 Sedan build I have been werking out some details on how to do a show quality finish for a car, in powder coat.

Befor you break out the torches, powder coating has been around since 1953, so it is traditional:D

Here's a few tricks I have picked up along the way to help make this happen.

This is all stuff ANYONE can do, I can do it faster than most because powder coating is what we do, and we have the tools to do quality werk as fast as possible. Again anyone can do this at home in their garage, it will probably just take a little more time is all.

Now I'll show you how, and why

1) We started by media cleaning the entire door inside and out to remove all contaminants like old paint, rust, etc

2) once the part is free of all contaminants we then apply a Iron Phosphate conversion chemical to clean off any dust left behind from blasting. The Iron Phosphate also further cleans, and seals the metal against future rust

3)Then we apply a powder coat high build primer to fill small imperfections, and allow for a good base to apply the high temp filler

4)everyone's favorite, lots-o-sanding to level out the surface of the filled pin holes with the surface of the metal

5) Shows how we applied the high temp filler for the larger pitting, and have now block sanded the entire panel which is ready for a final coat of primer, final block sand (did not take pictures of :eek:) to even out the color and surface of the panel.

6) been primed, blocked, and now has the first coat of color

7) the second coat of color, and first coat of clear have been applied.

All that is needed is a final wet sand of the clear, and buff to bring back the luster.

I left a "window" so people could see all the steps involved under the powder coat.

I hope this info is found to be useful to someone, and remember if you don't vote for me I will find out where you live and toilet paper your house!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

3. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

a few close shots

Attached Files:

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sweet!

Have you ever done a whole car?

Rich

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

yes, we have done several cars, or full motorcycles powder being the final finish
    this one however will be the first with graphics, and panels, and many multiple colors like a 60's style show car.... but all done with powder coat.

OT project we did for Ian Johnson of SPIKE TV.
    rock crawler with a 7 layer powder coat job, candy blue with a ton of metal flake, and ghosted graphics, that appear, and disappear depending on the viewers angle

Attached Files:

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

What sort of powder-coat-friendly spot-fill primer and high-temp filler do you use? Probably not available at the AutoZone, right? I'm thinking of doing a set of bumpers and a pot-metal grill with powder coat, the grill is rather pitted.

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

The product we use comes from Tiger Drylac, and is awesome.
    It's a bear to sand, so use sparingly, and the best sand paper to use is the 3M yellow (no clog)
    Norton sand paper, and other cheap ones that werk well on paint, will last about 30 seconds a piece. the 3M yellow will give about 5-10 minutes per piece depending on the grit. 3M yellow cost twice as much, but I use 10X less