Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK - Rattle Can Lacquer Paint Job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Sep 25, 2015.

1. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^Well, for an OT project (not a auto or such), flash is my concern. So instead of worrying about how to stop the flash I let it happen(one only has so much time to do this and that at any specific time) then proceeded to convert, hoping that any more wouldn't happen since it had been encapsulated. Next will be a couple of coats of exterior paint. This is an item that will remain outside all the time for years to come. Hopefully, it will last long enough that I would have grown enough patience.

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You will get no argument as to spray guns being superior to rattle canning or that starting with bare metal is best.

That's not the point though. What I'm doing here is seeing and documenting what happens, what works, what doesn't, and under what conditions, with rattle can lacquer products I was able to get locally. The EW converter got thrown in because I had it and ran out of the Duplicolor stuff which I decided I didn't like anyway. I'm going to try not to go too far on that tangent.

From here, I'm going to finish the first phase of this project and paint the door made of clean, fresh metal, if the weather cooperates.

The next phase will be done on a body that has been sanded and/or blasted clean, using epoxy primer supplied by @Paint Guru, likely rolled or brushed on, and then topcoated with rattle cans. I am expecting this to be the best way to go if I continue to exclude a sprayer from the project.

3. Sounds good Patmanta. Keep with this, it is interesting. It will be nice to see how the epoxy primer works out.

patmanta likes this.
  4. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Shipping your Epoxy out today finally!

patmanta likes this.
  5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Great, thanks!

In other news, It was way too cold this weekend to get anything done unfortunately. I'm not ready for 25º days in the shop yet and there wasn't any hope of laying paint.

6. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I would take antidepressants if I saw that temperature. We get in the 20's but not much.
    Paint doesn't want to work well at that temperature. Steal your wife's blow dryers and duct tape to a stand!

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hah, Nah, I've got an electric "shop heater" from Sears that has a blower on it to handle that. But my joints didn't want to work out there regardless! Too much drop too quick to acclimate for me! We should get back into or close to the 60's this week though.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

9. indyjps

indyjps

Patmanta are you going to continue to test on the same car, it's really growing on me, and it will be interesting to see side by side testing.
    Keep the updates coming.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's up in the air right now. The weather is turning and I don't have a barn to roll it in to. The exposure and weather is what ruined this coat and derailed the project already. This car needs sanding/blasting to be able to restart the process and I'm rapidly falling behind on my primary build.

SO, seeing as I need to bodywork and get down to metal on my T build, that is looking like the car that I will prime with the epoxy and paint, hopefully by Spring. I've got to mount the body to the subframe, replace the lower 6" of the sheetmetal, fill the wheelwells, clean up the top of the cowl, de-rust it and I'm good to go.

[​IMG]