Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH WEEK: My lake header mufflers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kramer, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Kramer

Kramer

There are a lot of posts here for doing baffles for lake headers. I wanted mine to be as quiet as possible so this is how I did mine.

First I purchased some glass packs from Summit.

[​IMG]

I then cut the shell off.

[​IMG]

I removed the blanket and cut the tube to length.

[​IMG]

I wanted to seal the inlet side to the inside of the header tube so the fiberglass blanket would last as long as possible. At work we have this program that lets the shop guys make patterns for all kinds of sheet metal work. I used it to make a pattern for a cone for the inlet side. I welded the cone on and a large washer to the outlet side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then re-wrapped the blanket back around the core tube.

[​IMG]

I will be welding a header outlet flange to the pipe and then have one on a turn out to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

I have not tried them yet as I am having some starter issues and haven't been able to start the engine. Will post some before and after videos when that happens.

2. Nice work! Sure is easier robbing a muffler than to make that inner tube from scratch.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Thanks.
    Yes I could have made my inner tube as others have here, but as you say it was easier robbing one. The cost was more but it also included the blanket which I wanted.

4. Maybe someone could use the end of the muffler body turned around instead of fabricating a cone.

As far as making a core, I've used some metal lathe rolled around a pipe. This is the stuff tile installers staple to the wall when doing a shower, it is also used for stucco and is very inexpensive and comes in galvanized if you wish.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I thought of doing this as well. I found that Vance and Hines makes a baffle (Pt# V21257) That is perfect for lakes headers. It's the preforated tube, blanket wrap, cap with holes for the end big end and a small cone for the inside end, everything you need. It sells for $21.95 and its a lot less work. The pic below is the baffle sold by Lakes Headers. The Vance and Hines piece is so similar and $120 cheaper.

Attached Files:

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job, That style of muffler blank is usually available at most full service muffler shops.

7. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool. That's a neat trick.

8. Very cool! How long do they last do you think? You will have to let us know how it sounds! (Can't be bad!....Whoom bang!)

9. Kramer

Kramer

I never thought of that, it should work however. I had fun using the program to design a cone and then actually having it fit right.:)

For me the fun was seeing if I could do it with something that wasn't really designed for what I wanted.

I'm hoping they will last as long as a regular glass pack. If the glass burns out I can easily replace it.
    As soon as I get the starter issue taken care of (apparently I have the wrong starter:() I will post some sound. Need to break the engine in anyway.

10. Haha stuffed like a Kotex! Nice job!

11. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Um,im thinking your dimples should be pointing the other direction as if their cuping the exhaust gasses as they exit. maybe im seeing it wrong?

12. rschilp

rschilp

Done this before on a dirt bike and we had some problems blowing out the blanket, especially after it got wet, I think you'll have that same problem here with the big hole on the end and the blanket not wrapped really tight.

I replaced the blanked with some steel wool, made it a little bit louder, but it lasted for a long time.

13. Kramer

Kramer

Man, I,m hoping that's an optical illusion from the picture, doesn't look like it though. Not at home right now so I can't check. I intended for them to cup the exhaust.

14. It'll make a little difference in the sound but you can run either way.

15. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I don't know if I could get this type of modification through our annual M.O.T. inspection,I'll check.If O.K.,it'll save me building a system under the car.Good tech.Thanks Kramer!
    Mark.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Damn it .I bought the one pictured above .I also have 2 glass packs which Im not using .

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Kramer
    Thanks, cool idea, but will you secure the glass in place more? Great tip. Slim

18. movingviolation

movingviolation

You can also buy a motorcycle (hd) muffler insert for about $10.00

Nice work!!

19. freebird101

freebird101

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  21. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

My blower motor has shot two sets of that style muffler out like a rocket!!! Had to go to a hole different set up. Worked well on another car I built but my BBC shoots them out!!

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

all tech week to the top 20

23. Kramer

Kramer

They are facing the way it looks in the picture. If they are louder than I want I will take them apart and redo them the other way.

I am glad I live were I don't have to worry about inspections of that sort. DMV will have to look at it to get it licensed, but that is all.

Yes, in fact I have extra that will be wrapped around the outer end that will hold in the tube tighter.

I will have to give this one a try. Thanks

These will be well secured and will no way be able to blow out. Although I doubt my little 289 could anyway.

On another note, I was able to get my starter issues resolved this weekend. I have to hook up fuel lines and radiator hoses, plus a couple of other things I need to do and then I will be ready to fire it. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have some video so you can hear what they sound like.

24. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Cool idea, Vance & Hines was mentioned, their shop is across the street from my shop, so I'm going to pay them a visit this week and see what they got.

25. Kramer

Kramer

So here is a couple of video's I shot after breaking in the engine Sunday.

This is without the mufflers.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid297.photobucket.com/albums/mm234/dwkramer/T-Bucket/MVI_0053.flv" width="600" height="361">

This one is with the mufflers.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid297.photobucket.com/albums/mm234/dwkramer/T-Bucket/MVI_0054.flv" width="600" height="361">

26. Small difference by my ear. Not as much as I would have expected.

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sounds sweet!

28. Kramer

Kramer

I was surprised about the lack of difference also. It is mellower with the mufflers and I like that better. Should be easier on the ears driving down the road.

Thanks

29. 55xgasr

55xgasr

After driving my Model A pickup around for a year or so with some home-made cut-off motorcycle tips, I decided to find a better solution as well. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of open headers, but my neighbors don't at 6 AM!

I recently attended the GNRS at Pomona and met a guy that builds some cool header baffles. I had these done custom for the length as my headers are older home-made jobs from unknown origin. I gave Randy some measurements and he built these - similar to those posted here but he adds some nice touches to the ends so they look nice. He had these thermal coated in black too. I chose to add a full wrap and a half of the supplied glasspack material, before carefully stuffing inside the headers tube. The whole unit came with baffles, copper gaskets, nuts, bolts, and packing material. He is coming out with a special stainless steel mesh packing very soon as well. I had to make one modification as we weren't sure what the diameter of the pipe was where the trumpet tip is up front. So I simply made a couple of pie shaped incisions and reduced the trumpet size so it fits perfect. They sound bitchin. Nice at idle, yet throw sound great sound under throttle.

IDLING:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GpTaLr_uN5M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GpTaLr_uN5M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

A LITTLE REV:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5VVzaNg8FI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5VVzaNg8FI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Give Randy a call and he can hook you up with some really sweet baffles.

Randy Miller

Miller's Custom Headers

1203 W. 6th St. #33

Corona, CA 92882-1809

951-898-1531

[email protected]

http://millerscustomheaders.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010