Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week - Making a V'd Windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 8, 2012.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This thread documents the process of constructing a V'd windscreen on a 27 T however the steps should apply to any application... Foremost credit should be given to CareyOhio for the fabrication... Our project car is a pre/early post war rod that would typically have raced at the lakes, track, and seen some street action... Windshields were prohibited in early racing so my original intent was not to have one... but, the thoughts of being hassled by the local law inforcement led to a compromise... Our mission was to a) stay 30's/40's Era correct both in design and construction using the original holes, b) be field dressable like most race/street type cars of the day, c) subtle design that you would notice after the initial impact of the car

First the car without the windshield and the reason I was hesitant to have one

[​IMG]

Styling guidlines... Subtle V like the 32 Lincoln and the rake like the 32 Lincoln Berline

[​IMG]

Subtle design... why I hardly noticed the windshield when Carey was done

[​IMG]

Final results... well, I'm happy

[​IMG]

One more before and after and then I'll start in the beginining

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The basic design started as a sketch

[​IMG]

Cardboard pattern taped to C-clamped wood strips allowed use to adjust the design prior to construction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The height was a hard judgment call... I wanted to be looking over the glass and yet high enough to push the wind past the eyes... and, yet low enough to visually say race car not street car...

We set up a simple smoke test...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then photos were taken from differant angles to check the perspective of the design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next base plates were formed to the contour of the cowl maintaining factory bolt locations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The base of the 27 posts were cut away and tabs were added to allow adjustment... a wooden wedge controlled angle adjustment... having a way to adjust position is critical... it doesn't take much to throw off the angles... check and re-check

[​IMG]

Post was trimmed as final countour and angle were determined

[​IMG]

Once angle and heigth were determined... the shape was changed to make the design flow better

[​IMG]

Plywood was cut and filler was applied to the lower edge... then a stationary center strip locked in the final angle

[​IMG]

After double checking the post positions they were tack welded in place... Photos were taken from differant angles to ensure the flow of the final design... at this point adjustments required for changes would be minimal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posts were then cut just above estimated final cuts and again perspective was checked by photos... I feel the camera is very effective because it can shows design flows that you sometimes overlook when your to close to the build

[​IMG]

After determining that we had the desired shape... the task of constructing the support structure could begin

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The next step required determining the actual thickness of the glass and rubber... since are build is staying vintage we concluded that 1/4 glass and a heavy rubber channel would be appropriate... and the center would be a rubber strip designed for forties style two piece windshields... make sure you have the products you plan to use on hand before continuing to build the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following steps in the process all involve maintaining a parrallel support for the glass... the side posts were pretty straight forward since a section of C channel could be welded in the post as seen in the last photo... once the sides positions were stationary the cowl base could be formed

[​IMG]

Matte board was used to make templates... then flat stock was contoured to follow the curve of the cowl... the base was rivioted to the cowl to eliminate any movement before final method of attachment was employed

[​IMG]

After the base is installed the front portion of the channel can be formed... templates were made to follow the contour of the cowl... the front will be higher because of the windshield rake... after determining the final shape - both strips were tacked in place...

[​IMG]

Again, I believe in studying photos from ever angle before doing the finish work... this is the easiest point to make changes so take the time to make sure you have what you want

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Now additional tacks are placed on the front channel and then the rear channel is made and welded in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember although the botom countour has to be accurate, the top should be slightly oversized to so it can be modified to follow the cowl contour once the glass is in place

[​IMG]

Now the posts can be welded to the bases

[​IMG]

Notice how the design evolved during the build process...

[​IMG]

The front center strip was made in two pieces (spot welded together) with a cap that slipped over the rear support

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The plywood templates were given to the glass shop to duplicate... after the glass was set in place the rear center support was made

[​IMG]

One last series of photos to be reviewed befor making the final cuts on the post tops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the posts were cut and a cap welded in place to secure the glass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As illustrated in this photo - the windshild posts are a bit shorter now... if your plan is is more to the street then the top section of the original post could be utilized with an optional channel across the top

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

8. that looks great! i like how in the overhead photo the posts follow the body line. making all the templates and mockups really paid off.

9. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

Awsome, I'm just about to build one but having a brain fart at the very beginning - thanks

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! That looks great, nice to see all the details flowing nicely on this build. It reminds me of the details in the Schumacher Special that alsancle is restoring here on the HAMB. Bob

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Amazing how the angles and bottom contour combine to make the flat glass look curved. I think the illusion indicates good design.
    Good job!

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This illustrates how much of the original 27 posts that was used

[​IMG]

13. Lovely work!
    ... and I could really do with those offcuts as I need some stock length posts and only have the bottom sections...

14. Noland

Noland

very nice tech, super styling. awesome car also

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Great job, very tough looking. That picture of Gene made my day.

16. not dead yet

not dead yet

Great job/illustrations. Love the look. I am thinking of doing that to my 29 roadster. Thanks for taking the time and sharing the information.

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

Looks great!!! Is there a trick to cutting the contour correctly to match the cowl?

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love everything about that build and the windshield is another example of why I love it! Great work and great execution!

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Gorgeous! It's amazing how much work went into that. An you didn't even harm the striping.

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looks perfect! Excellent write-up too! Great job all around

21. Nice job on the windshield and the thread! Very nice

22. Mart

Mart

Dito.

Nice job and nice write up.

Mart.

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Just making a template... start a little wider... place the plywood glass templates on top of base template... mark an equal distance from the edge of the plywood... transfer the template pattern to the 14 Guage sheet (again - trim a little wider)... work the sheet metal to follow the cowl... secure the base to the cowl... place the plywood glass templates on top... mark an equal distance from the edge of the plywood... trim to final shape... don't expect it to be exactly the same from side to side... maintain centering points and check and re-check... bottom line just have patience

24. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Been thinking about this, great job, well thought out and great exicution.

25. Every good hot rod build has a "signature item," something subtle that defines it's personality. Your wind shield says "racer" and the execution says "craftsman." The goobers that look at it won't have a clue. But the real hot rodders will take it all in, smile and nod their heads.

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Athough the 27 has been is several stages of dismantling while adding a hood and windshield... I thought I'd post a shot of it while it was together... I think it will be a little sleeker now when we redo the exhaust and start putting it back together

[​IMG]

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I spotted this thread, I didnt notice who it was, so I wasn't thinking of this car. I kinda rolled my eyes and thought "another fake duvall how-to, boy thats original..." You managed to throw me a real curve ball. Very nice. Like the smoke test, and the windshield is great. When I saw the photo from above on the other thread I was blown away by how integrated the styling is, and how well everything flows. Not that easy to do in a 40's themed track roadster, they can look a little cobby. VERY nice work.

28. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I like it, actuall seen it in person right across from my booth at deroit. Turned out nice!

29. Excellent *job. I almost didn’t look at this, I figured it was an 80s streetrod type v-butted windshield; I’m glad I checked it anyway! I like the subtlety; I don’t care for the Duval-type windshields that are leaned way back, and the center post is way up near the hood. The only thing I am curious about, since you welded on the top caps to hold the glass in place, what if you have to replace one?

30. Nice build! You did a great job.

Klaus