Register now to get rid of these ads!

**TECH WEEK** Install soft top on Model A sedan and custom rain gutters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Nut, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Thanks for sharing your soft top install.
    I'm currently getting mine ready for paint and had a question.
    If I decide to do a soft top would you recommend doing before or after paint?

2. I have heard of people doing it before and after. I have not read or heard the particulars of one way over the other though.

3. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

View attachment 3941307 0E1AF021-6B29-4272-B7B3-077EDA1823B8.jpeg A40C6834-E3F2-4DCF-9DA8-735DBACE2B70.jpeg
    Been a long road, but finally ready to start on the roof. Have some dvds from diablo A’s , showing how to do tops on everything but what I needed a Tudor , so thank you for sharing this info. They are using Masonite and outdoor carpeting then the vinyl. How has your foam padding held up? Where did you purchase it? It sure looks great. I sure have a lot more wood shaping to go before I can get the Masonite down. Did you go flush with the Masonite to the edge of the header panel? Thought about beveling the edge of my header panel so Masonite will have a solid edge across the front. Thanks again.

BradinNC likes this.
  4. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

How do I get the diablo videos?

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for step by step and a few chuckles. Nice ride :cool:

6. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Diabloas.com , or ebay or macs or Snyder’s , any model A vendor. With all the tudors out there you think they would have done one. At $25 bucks a pop that’s a lot of revenue they are missing out on. Pretty sure I have all they’ve put out for some reason. The truck top dvd is from 2003 and 2010, The slant back is from 2010 and the coupe is 2014. Changed the way they did stuff on all of them so guess pick what method you like.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Anyone want to sell the coupe video?

8. paulh12

paulh12
    from Warren,RI

I know this post is 10 years ago, but I want to replace my roof vinyl like they did in this post. Does anyone know where I can purchase the complete kit to do this? I need the material, the aluminum tack strips, and the molding that clips on to the strips for the finish look? I have been given Juliano's Hot Rod Shop and they only sell an insert top kit. I didn't think it would be so diffecult to fine a kit to do my roof on a 29 Ford Model A..!!! Thanks in advance..Paul

9. Steve Penrose

Steve Penrose

Nice job. Your exterior color is almost the same as mine. Nice looking car.