Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week...going for lowest tech award...hoisting engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Been using fan belts when hoisting for years. Easy to maneuver, and they are damned strong. That's 600 + pounds of flathead and transmission there.

One belt per side..equal length belts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BJR

BJR

Now that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

3. Learned the trick in auto machinist school. They will hold.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's terrifying!!!

5. alchemy

alchemy

No way. Not on anything I value, or over any toes I value.

6. No thanks. I'll stick to using something more substantial and less prone to wear and tear.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

"hey doc, do you think they can be sewed back on?"

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Low tech and stupid too, do we have an award for that ? Oh yes it's called the Darwin award. ;)

Using something for lifting that was not designed for that purpose is wrong in so many ways.

9. Drive belts have very high linear tensile strength, up to 1200 pounds/in.

10. Sure. Seen broken chains and canvas straps, too.

11. Panama Red

Panama Red

Makes me think of the training my dad gave me as a kid. "Always use the proper tool for the job. If you don't have the proper tool, rent, borrow or buy it! If you borrow a tool and it breaks, offer to have it repaired or replaced - at your expense." Nowhere do I see "engine lifting" in any description of the proper use of a fan belt. That's just plain scary!

12. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Seat Belts can also be used for hoisting engines. Used them in the yards for years.

13. I Drag

I Drag

Nothing like a dangerously inferior substitution for a cheap, available, existing tool.

What, chain doesn't exist where you are?

14. 117harv

117harv

I like that better than four small bolts threaded into aluminum intake carb holes. I can't believe they work.:cool:

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

please stop drinking dog beers.

16. Scrap pile. Here's the shop

[​IMG]

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

let's say the flattie weighs 800 lbs, and it don't, but. there's 8 strands of belt so each is holding 100 pounds. That don't sound bad to me.

Obviously you would look at your used belts and not use ones that were already fraved and broken.

18. That ain't likely.

19. GREASER815

GREASER815

I think I will stick to using chains and other items made out of metal. But thats just me.

20. I have seen too many things go way too wrong to use a fan belt to lift a huge chunk of iron over a fender, possibly dropping on my leg. It should work, but sometimes belts just snap for no particular reason while doing what they are supposed to. Sounds like tech from the yard apes at the local wreckers to me.
    :eek:

21. historynw

historynw

"Honey, I got that new thingamajig t<!-- Start Google Analytics --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-296234-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();</SCRIPT>o get the fried turkey out". :p

22. Life is a buffet. Take all you want of what you want...leave the rest.

Anyone want that flathead?

And, I need a hug. Where are all those folks who thought Indian Larry was a hero for killing himself while using a motorcycle like a surfboard?

23. That's fine, except for Corky who takes the short bus to school and is willing to try any "Good Idea"

[​IMG]

24. I've used the method once in a pinch to swing a motor onto a truck, with lots of caution. Still can't beat the chain method... everyone here probably has a dedicated set up they use over and over.

Bob

25. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

tensile strength of a grade 5 1/4" coarse bolt is 3800 pounds. as long as the intake has clean threads, you're good.

shear strength of a grade 2 3/8" is 410 pounds. even with a cheap bolt, you should be safe. Now chinese bolts are probably not a great idea, but I have a stock pile of old us steel fasteners. Your mileage may vary.

26. It's not the 1/4" bolts that bother me, it's the recycled Bud cans they're screwed into.

27. I Drag

I Drag

Well you are going for "lowest tech", not safest. I've followed your posts, and you're still cool. I've probably done dumber.

Indian Larry got what he deserved.

28. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Engineering and mathematically it works great, realistically this is bound to hit You Tube somewhere!

29. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

_________lowEST tech...YUP, no doubt about it! X2 for the "Darwin"! DD

30. mow too much

mow too much

Here, hold my beer and watch this.:D:D